BatmanDB's Thoughts on DB

BatmanDB

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see... Greeneville has won state recently and it hasn't been that long ago since Hampton took home a gold ball.  A lot of teams from the Knoxville area (like Maryville, Fulton, Knox West) won it last year.  Coalfield played for state in 1A last year...

Now, once you get east of Morristown, Greeneville's the only one from the region to win state recently, mostly because of those buzzsaws in Maryville, Fulton, Knox West, Alcoa, and CAK that just destroy everyone.  That's not a coaching issue as much as it is about talent and school size: our region only has 2 6A schools (3 if you count Jeff County, who won state titles in the 80s).

NETN is full of slow white kids with a 2% black population--mediocre black athletes at the handful of schools who have them shred NETN competition week in and week out..  In Knoxville, those numbers go up substantially, as does the number of college talent.  Tri Cities and NETN schools just don't produce that.  It's not on the coaches: it's demographics.

Let's see... Greeneville has won state recently and it hasn't been that long ago since Hampton took home a gold ball.  A lot of teams from the Knoxville area (like Maryville, Fulton, Knox West) won it last year.  Coalfield played for state in 1A last year...

Now, once you get east of Morristown, Greeneville's the only one from the region to win state recently, mostly because of those buzzsaws in Maryville, Fulton, Knox West, Alcoa, and CAK that just destroy everyone.  That's not a coaching issue as much as it is about talent and school size: our region only has 2 6A schools (3 if you count Jeff County, who won state titles in the 80s).

NETN is full of slow white kids with a 2% black population--mediocre black athletes at the handful of schools who have them shred NETN competition week in and week out..  In Knoxville, those numbers go up substantially, as does the number of college talent.  Tri Cities and NETN schools just don't produce that.  It's not on the coaches: it's demographics.

I will agree with you to some extent that demographics is important. However, Victor, how do you explain Maryville's success? I agree, that demographics can be very helpful. However, you also have to have a good feeder system and coach. I will state that there is to much politics happening at DB for them to be successful. It seems like every year there is a couple of guys out there that makes you question what's going on.

Edited by hssportsfanatic

My guess is you're a coach. I just wonder how much longer upper east tn. coaches can keep deflecting the blame to the players. It's coaching all right. That's where 100% of the blame should be. If any school in upper east tn. ever grows a pair and hires a good staff we will finally see the truth.

Well, One of DB' s slow white boys plays in the NFL.Another is in the ACC breaking his teams strength records .Aleast one slow white boy from last years 4x400 state champions plays for DB.Atleast one of those medicore black athletes from DB is playing in the Nfl like a couple of his medicore relitives did.Another plays for Tennessee.Total bullsht, We have athletes up here or my Alma Mater , Greeneville wouldn't have done as you say.Elizabethtown has a pretty good slow white boy still playing for Dallas .

That still fires me up rereading it.Slow white boys and medicore black athletes.I know a lot of local athletes from this area that have gone on in several sports .Heck,one guy fights in the MMA and countless other players in other sports that have been really good at the next level and beyond.Did everyone just move into the Knoxville area in the last 10 or 15 years.Maryville and Oak Ridge have been good for decades and both those towns put together are about the size of Kingsport as far as population.

That still fires me up rereading it.Slow white boys and medicore black athletes.I know a lot of local athletes from this area that have gone on in several sports .Heck,one guy fights in the MMA and countless other players in other sports that have been really good at the next level and beyond.Did everyone just move into the Knoxville area in the last 10 or 15 years.Maryville and Oak Ridge have been good for decades and both those towns put together are about the size of Kingsport as far as population.

I agree with you Batman. That post is just plain ignorant. The examples are endless as to the difference a good coaching staff can do for a high school team. Greeneville for one and a upper east tn. team. The coaching staff made the difference and there's no question or debate about it. See what has happened to DB's defense after the loss of Darrell Watson. Anybody remember Buck VanHuss?  Coaching doesn't just make a difference, it's the whole deal.

I agree with you Batman. That post is just plain ignorant. The examples are endless as to the difference a good coaching staff can do for a high school team. Greeneville for one and a upper east tn. team. The coaching staff made the difference and there's no question or debate about it. See what has happened to DB's defense after the loss of Darrell Watson. Anybody remember Buck VanHuss?  Coaching doesn't just make a difference, it's the whole deal.

I miss coach Watson as we all do.Wish every kid could have a coach like him .There are still guys that can coach over there but for anyone to say the area is just full of slow white boys or medicore black athletes is just not correct.

Great Coaches can take so-so players and make them better than average , average players great and great players real stand outs. When you do that you get all the buy in in the world from kids, because they see the difference. If it was just players, Maryville would not be Maryville. They have some good talent, but they are coached better and taught great fundamentals. They beat plenty of teams that had more raw talent every year. If it isn't about the coaching staff, then the team with the best players would always be the shoe in and we all know it doesn't always end that way

Great Coaches can take so-so players and make them better than average , average players great and great players real stand outs. When you do that you get all the buy in in the world from kids, because they see the difference. If it was just players, Maryville would not be Maryville. They have some good talent, but they are coached better and taught great fundamentals. They beat plenty of teams that had more raw talent every year. If it isn't about the coaching staff, then the team with the best players would always be the shoe in and we all know it doesn't always end that way

This...

This...

no disrespect, but rather all the respect in the world. You guys always have good talent, but talent alone does not win games. The coaching staff has alot to do with how things shake out.