Region 3- ( 6A-32 )

BKisler

Should be interesting . Coach Abner will have all of the responsibility as D Coordinator; but I will be willing to bet not much authority. A lot of pressure on HC; hopefully the response will not be " I don't have any talent. "; as it was last year.

Should be interesting . Coach Abner will have all of the responsibility as D Coordinator; but I will be willing to bet not much authority. A lot of pressure on HC; hopefully the response will not be " I don't have any talent. "; as it was last year.

Was there talent level low last year? I saw them play twice and said it wasn't up to par with their competition.

Was there talent level low last year? I saw them play twice and said it wasn't up to par with their competition.

I thought they were a pretty typical squad. They had above average talent at spots and decent talent at others. Besides a few teams that were on their schedule they were fairly evenly matched. Besides Hendersonville, the other schools were fairly even. Maybe Beech being slightly better because of their ground game. Wilson Central, MJ, Gallatin and Station Camp were close talent wise. Leaving Portland and Lebanon as the ones battling for last place. Last year did not have the 2 or 3 usual strong teams in 9AAA. I think they do better this year in their new region then they would having to play Hendersonville and Beech for district opponents. Gallatin should be pretty strong too and I think they play a good Shelbyville squad as well. Could be wrong.

Noway; I agree with GWave. There was some above average talent in some spots and decent talent in others.The Bears lacked speed and big game breaker. This will be an issue again this year. After the Blackman game last year ( 4th game of season ) ; I posted that MJ got beat in every phase of the game including that I thought they were also out coached. There isn't a coach that hasn't been out coached at sometime in his career.  In response to my post; HC posted on social media that they didn't get out coached they just didn't have any talent. I didn't think that was a good thing to post when all of your players follow you on social media. Just my opinion.

I love MJ football and always will; but I will be the first to admit that Coach T and I didn't always see eye to eye and were not best of friends.

Noway; I agree with GWave. There was some above average talent in some spots and decent talent in others.The Bears lacked speed and big game breaker. This will be an issue again this year. After the Blackman game last year ( 4th game of season ) ; I posted that MJ got beat in every phase of the game including that I thought they were also out coached. There isn't a coach that hasn't been out coached at sometime in his career.  In response to my post; HC posted on social media that they didn't get out coached they just didn't have any talent. I didn't think that was a good thing to post when all of your players follow you on social media. Just my opinion.

I love MJ football and always will; but I will be the first to admit that Coach T and I didn't always see eye to eye and were not best of friends.

Living in the boro, I was at the Blackman and Oakland games this year and in all honesty I thought there was no comparison between MJ athletes and either one of those schools athletes. From what I saw there wasn't much speed for MJ either. It is hard to say MJ got out coached in either one of those games when you have major college football talent running at you. I do agree maybe you shouldn't post that on social media as a coach, but I am sure ,just like you would be, if someone came at you about how you got out coached at your job you would want to respond. That is nether here nor there. Just wanting the best for MJ because like you Kisler I had a son once go through that program during the not so successful years in MJ history when athletes were at a very low level and coaching was beyond questionable.

Living in the boro, I was at the Blackman and Oakland games this year and in all honesty I thought there was no comparison between MJ athletes and either one of those schools athletes. From what I saw there wasn't much speed for MJ either. It is hard to say MJ got out coached in either one of those games when you have major college football talent running at you. I do agree maybe you shouldn't post that on social media as a coach, but I am sure ,just like you would be, if someone came at you about how you got out coached at your job you would want to respond. That is nether here nor there. Just wanting the best for MJ because like you Kisler I had a son once go through that program during the not so successful years in MJ history when athletes were at a very low level and coaching was beyond questionable.

If I may interject one point here. Oakland and Blackman had an enormous amount of talent last year. Probably both were top 10 over any class in terms of talent. That in itself does not mean MJ had a low amount of talent just not near as much as those 2 schools which would be more accurate.

I understand what you are saying. As an example; MJ was undersized on D line; but yet we lined up head up and were told to control and read instead of lining up in gaps and utilizing the quickness advantage. Would it have made a difference in the game; no.....but I think you have to find every opportunity to make a difference and give your players a chance. Lining head up gave them no chance.

That is what amazes me about Maryville. They don't have the better talent and each year they are playing for a championships.

I wish MJ and the coaching staff the best of luck this year.

Edited by BKisler

I understand what you are saying. As an example; MJ was undersized on D line; but yet we lined up head up and were told to control and read instead of lining up in gaps and utilizing the quickness advantage. Would it have made a difference in the game; no.....but I think you have to find every opportunity to make a difference and give your players a chance. Lining head up gave them no chance.

That is what amazes me about Maryville. They don't have the better talent and each year they are playing for a championships.

I wish MJ and the coaching staff the best of luck this year.

Agree on that point. hope things will be different this year. New region with new opportunities.

My son played with a coach at MJ and one at Central so I wish both those young men the best.

Coach TP has beaten 1 team with a winning record in 2 years. 2013 against WC which finished the season at 6-5. When his dad (Roger)first took over at MJ they seemed to beat a lot better/talented teams than them.

The Bears should have beaten Gallatin ( 3 missed field goals inside of 30 yards ) and Beech last year . Cant blame those losses on Coach T. Hats off to Gallatin and Beech for making big plays down the stretch.

• Upvote 1

The Bears should have beaten Gallatin ( 3 missed field goals inside of 30 yards ) and Beech last year . Cant blame those losses on Coach T. Hats off to Gallatin and Beech for making big plays down the stretch.[/quote If I remember correctly WC had numerous turnovers in the game and actually beat themselves. As a coach when your fg kicker is inconsistent you have a choice. So yes TP can be blamed. That is part of being a coach. You get credit/praise for the win and you also get the credit/blame for the loss. Why was there 3 missed fg? Could there been better play call that resulted in TDs instead of fg attempts? I didn't go to that game so I don't know. All I know is that the fact is he as a HC has beaten 1 team with a winning record. I would like to see him turn it around but don't think he is the right person to do it.

The Bears should have beaten Gallatin ( 3 missed field goals inside of 30 yards ) and Beech last year . Cant blame those losses on Coach T. Hats off to Gallatin and Beech for making big plays down the stretch.[/quote If I remember correctly WC had numerous turnovers in the game and actually beat themselves. As a coach when your fg kicker is inconsistent you have a choice. So yes TP can be blamed. That is part of being a coach. You get credit/praise for the win and you also get the credit/blame for the loss. Why was there 3 missed fg? Could there been better play call that resulted in TDs instead of fg attempts? I didn't go to that game so I don't know. All I know is that the fact is he as a HC has beaten 1 team with a winning record. I would like to see him turn it around but don't think he is the right person to do it.

I would like to think Gallatin's defense had something to do with winning that game against Mount Juliet. Maybe I'm wrong. SCBisondad, why such strong opinion on Mount Juliet's coach? Which bison is your kid?