Riverdale throwing game

ecu

District 14A Boys swept 13A boys first round in the region last night. So, some districts top 4 are the 4 best teams in the region. System works now. You just need to win in the district regular season and in the district tournament to avoid the top teams. Riverdale lost to Oakland so they decided to take their ball and go home. A joke. The whole Riverdale administration needs to be investigated and firings for whoever knew about it.

I totally agree. Next year when this is what happens, all Riverdale needs to say is we play to win! The

misconception here is that the girls knew they were going to be coached to lose the game. I know for a

FACT this is not true. The girls didn’t know “they were supposed to loseâ€. The coach decided that it

would not be in the team’s best interest to win that game. Coach Barrett has taken full responsibility.

Our girls follow their coaches to victory and sometimes defeat. Whether intentionally or

unintentionally……either way it’s not the girls fault. I was in disbelief that Childress held the girls

responsible in the news report. He should have made sure he had the facts before making such a harsh

judgment. Anyone that believes the girls should have over thrown the coach, in the middle of a game

situation, that they unknowingly walked in the middle of…. is delusional and unrealistic. If there is

blame, it needs to be placed on the coaches, AD, and principals who didn’t stop it! Not the girls, who in

my opinion took the brunt of the punishment so far. These girls worked years for this moment.

Now I say it’s in the hands of all those who hooped and hollered for “justiceâ€, because it has not been

served. But why so quiet??? Did you get what you wanted? To be honest, most of the fuss was from a

school, if Riverdale is out of the tournament, they have a cake walk to the state. T$$AA can you judge

yourself as harshly and swiftly as you judged these girls? Stop allowing pointless games for money? Will

the AD and principles take as much responsibility or be held accountable like the girls?

Parents were at Riverdale supporting our girls. The way all parents would. Most of us also showed our

support for our coach! He didn’t lie, cheat, or steal…..didn’t put his hand on either one of our girls. He

just made a call that he thought was right for the team. Everybody makes mistakes and has short

comings. Americans are always ready to crucify someone…nail them to the cross!

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the

measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own

eye?

Yes we support our coach and yes he made a mistake, but at the end of this I want to teach my child

forgiveness as well as sportsmanship!

Sorry. Don't buy it. By the way the girls played there is no way they are not complicit in this. The consequences to the girls is unfortunate but just. I have a daughter that plays ball. If I saw this going on with her team I would be extremely proud of her if she did NOT listen to her coach. It is the right thing. Even soldiers are not to obey illegal or immoral orders. And if she didn't do that I WOULD be at the bench giving the coach an earful and she would not be participating in the debacle. It is a sad state where a parent will knowingly allow their child to be a part of something that is clearly so wrong and not in their long term best interest. You say the coaches did not lie. But, I say it was ALL a big lie. The girls and coaches lied by not representing their talent appropriately, both to themselves and the fans, and the coaches seem to continue to lie about why they did this to try to save face.

I find it interesting that you quote the Bible about judging others and then you turn around and do just that saying the folks that are yelling about this are only doing it out of self interest. If you haven't noticed this has become a national story and the outrage is nearly universal except for a few blind Kool Aid drinkers who will tolerate and support bad behavior and say they are being loyal to their "family". I have no dog in this hunt. My daughter would never even meet any of the teams. However, I do feel strongly about teaching integrity and appropriate life skills through youth sports rather than a win at all costs mentality that seems to prevail in that world. By the way, I like to win as much as the next guy. But not at the expense of integrity.

Oh, and I do agree with you about forgiveness. However, the parties that did wrong need to repent and admit their wrong doing before that can happen.

Edited by QuatroQuatroDad

Only if you guys have seen some of the twitter conversations going as well. WarriorFan has been going back and forth with people for the past few days stating the same stuff he did on here. Quoting scripture about being judged is a disgrace. You quote scripture about judging/being judged and in another breathe you justify what the coach was doing as right... Smh...

What would happen if a teacher purposely stopped teaching because he or she did not think his or her students could not handle the up coming challenge of the lesson about to be taught?  How would a school react?  Parents send their children to school to receive an education and learn, so in a situation like I just named how would the parents react?  As a coach you are given the responsibility to teach, not just win games.  You may not be teaching the same thing teachers in a classroom are teaching, but as a coach you are still an educator and there is a level of responsibility that comes with that.  I believe the players do deserve some of the blame, but they are just teenagers listening to someone of authority.  I think the coaches get 98% of the responsibility, and in my opinion neither coach should ever be allowed to coach in Tennessee ever again.

Possible solution:  Let the winner of the 3 seed-4 seed district consolation game choose their regional seed; either 3 or 4.

Best idea I have heard. :thumb:

Could the team have simply forfeited? Would T$$AA have allowed a forfeit if the forfeiting school had agreed to send an equivalent amount of gate $$ to TSSAA? :popcorneater:

Best idea I have heard. :thumb:

Could the team have simply forfeited? Would T$$AA have allowed a forfeit if the forfeiting school had agreed to send an equivalent amount of gate $$ to TSSAA? :popcorneater:

Sorry, but I have a really difficult time seeing how letting any team decide their opponent is a good idea. Just go play the game, beat the opposition, and move on.

Not that I would be in favor of this either, but if a team was going to be allowed to select their first round region opponent it should be the district champion, not the 3rd place team in the district.

The entire playoff system needs to be revamped for basketball and soccer.  At least soccer only takes the top 2 teams to Regionals and Sectionals.  However, in both sports, you can lose two games (District and Regional Championships) and still win State.  That is just stupid and crazy.  To take it even further, you can lose the District and Region Championships, to the same team--then play that same team for the State Championship.  Should the team that has already lost 2 games win the State Championship-that would take away everything else that was accomplished.  What these teams did was of course the stupidest thing they could do.  Shooting at your own goal, and trying to defend a team shoot at it's own goal-they all got what they deserved.  C'mon TSSAA--make some changes.  Can't be that hard!!