who will be William blount next head coach?

Give it 2 years and you will have half the county coming out to play ball. Blackman had a pretty poor record for a long spell. They were known as a baseball school. Coach Shad turned that whole program around, and he did it with finesse. He  will take good players and coach them up to be great and avg players up to be good. It might take a full season to get it all in place, but I would be surprised if it does. When Sonny Graves was at Smyrna, his junior year he was already being scouted by the pros, Coach told him to get his stuff and get out of his locker room because his season was over. Sonny asked why, and Coach told him that while he had accomplished great things, the program would not bow down at his feet. They had work to do and he was going to put it in like everyone else or go home. Needless to say he did put in the work. Earlier this last year after winning the world series Coach got a call from Sports illustrated or ESPN magazine asking for some information. He asked why they were calling him and they said when they asked Sonny who the most influential man was in his life and he said it was Coach Shadowens.... Now I don't care who you re but that is pretty darn cool....

Good stuff right there....it is very evident when talking with him that while he loves football, he is there to do more than just teach the game of football.

I wonder what the hold up is here.... Seems like if this was a done deal it would be announced. Hoping for the best for Jake and company!

Hopefully the person or persons who have the power to say hire or don't hire will get this one right. William Blount deserves some stability and this would be the right hire IMO.

Whoever made the call for the middle school team (combining both schools) got that decision right and it showed last season. Great hire for a head coach and the team definitely benefited from the number of players on the roster.

Hopefully the GovClub gets their man this time and WB football will be moving in the right direction. ðŸ‘

Edited by Alcoa623tornado
  • Upvote 1

Maryville and Heritage are two that come to mind. Maryville is only 4.6 miles from WB by car. Heritage is the only other high school in the Blount County System.

The most competitive rivalry has been with Alcoa. Alcoa leads the series 14-10 They have not played since 2004 but they play this coming season.

Edited by Red Rebels

I could use some help. Who is WBLOUNT rival? How many senior starters graduate? How many players on the team? Just asking in case.

I don't know the numbers, sorry. But Heritage is a big rival. They are cross county schools. WB has won for 18 years straight, this pass season Heritage thought it would be their year. It wasn't.

How many senior starters graduate? How many players on the team? Just asking in case.

I'm not sure on exact numbers but I can tell you we lost alot on both lines and lost a really good RB and a really good WR. On a positive note we return the starting QB and some good skill players.

You have some big boys. He can teach lineman but skill is special. I hope philip gets the job I really do. You give him kids that will engage he will do the rest. He and Quales are the coaches who can adjust to games and talent. Oakland was beyond stacked with unreal talent and Maryville really handled them easy. It would be great to coach against Rankin he is also one of the best. Be patient it will come IF he gets job. He is motivated and he is excited which means a lot.

You have some big boys. He can teach lineman but skill is special. I hope philip gets the job I really do. You give him kids that will engage he will do the rest. He and Quales are the coaches who can adjust to games and talent. Oakland was beyond stacked with unreal talent and Maryville really handled them easy. It would be great to coach against Rankin he is also one of the best. Be patient it will come IF he gets job. He is motivated and he is excited which means a lot.

you seem to know the new coach well. Do you think he has asked the right questions and knows what he is walking into? Any chance he is simply looking for a place to land/lite? Everybody has had to do that at one time or another.

His house and family as well as his kids in college are in Murfreesboro. All of these are the most important things to him. He is motivated and excited and serious. Being a coach I cannot think of anything more exciting than turning a program around establishing roots. 3 of the top 10 coaches in the state are in 1 county if he comes. I know him well and he got offers every year for more money and stability is what he craves.