UNION CITY VS. HAMPTON: CLASS A STATE QUARTERFINALS

JDOGG80

Hey Pujo, I've missed conversing with you on the FB boards. We are the only team that has faced Mitchell and UC and I can tell you first hand that you are going to like Mitchell. If it's a UC and Mitchell final I will give my assessment and you will like it. I think you guys will be competitive with UC on a neutral floor. I don't think you will win but you may play them closer than the UC fans think. One huge factor that the UC fans hasn't thought about is the arena vs the small gym they play in. They play in a gym(beautiful I might add) where everybody including the wall is up close to the floor. It's a great venue for great shooters like theirs. In an arena the depth perception is totally different. They may shoot lights out but it really could cause them problems and give you guys a fighting chance. Hampton wouldn't be there if you weren't good. If you beat UC you will be in the finals! Good luck. They will be tough!

I actually thought you fellers had the best 2a football team in the state,when Peabody got past you guys ,I thought they would win it all. As far as BB goes I think we could  hang fairly well with UC if we can hit a few shots and take care of the ball. I also think Mitchell is a different beast, hopefully they'll have the point guard back and healthy. Our biggest problem is that we don't face anyone to prepare us for the atheletes we'll face at the state. Makes it tough when you try to adjust on the fly. Our Coaches do a great job and they'll know how we need to play, The kids will have to do the rest. I'll be fine either way,  got baseball as soon as this is over and then my favorite sport starts. 

your road isn't any different than our road we deserve to be at the Boro just as much as you do these boys all earned their way there and for anyone to try and cheapen the experience for either side is pitiful in my book

Awe now don't get all butt-hurt about it...You come try to go through the gauntlet our teams have to go through and you would change your mind quick, fast and in a hurry...Mitchell getting to Murfreesboro back-to-back is saying something..

Excuse me young'n, but a poster hasn't irritated me this much since 2011...All we've said is we were coming to give it all we got.

Mr Cocky, why don't you pick up that ole phone and call some of our past state competition and see if we're the boys crying wolf...I'm sure UC players and coaches are not as ignorant and disrespectful as you.

Come back and reply when momma lets you back on the puter

2011..LoL...Anyway

You don't have to worry about our players and coaches...I imagine they will have our team thinking Hampton is s good or better than Kentucky...

All those other teams said the same thing...Heck, even Cosby, who had a losing record or close to it had me thinking they may even hang... B) 

And if you can't post without making personal attacks then maybe you need to go to Topix and play...

Wolf! Wolf! LOL  seriously though again... We know how great Union City is. We know all about the superior athletes you have. We know that you are at least a 25 point favorite. You really don't have to keep telling us this. WE KNOW!  I haven't noticed any Hampton poster that has said that we would beat you all, only that we are going to give it our best AND that we are honored to be able to play the GREAT UNION CITY.  I am sorry that it is such an inconvenience to have to play Hampton but it is what it is. We will try our best to give you a little tune up before you can play Mitchell. 

I haven't made a prediction...I haven't even said we would win...All I said is we owe you back for the 1960 banner you got hanging in your gym...

Believe me, our team is going in on a mission...They have come together the last half of the season and seem to have finally "gotten" it as far as how our coaches want them to play and they know what championship teams need to achieve it...They are finally healthy...

You say we are a "25-point favorite" ?...I'll take a one point win...

I will say this...If you want to get a team that is perceived as a prohibitive favorite, it is best to get them in the quarter-final round...I don't know if it's nerves or the expectations that get to these young kids but underdogs do sometimes seem to thrive in that first game us against the world type deal...You get by that first game as the big favorite and get comfortable with the floor, the shooting background and the crowd then it gets real difficult for the other teams to pull the upset...

I actually thought you fellers had the best 2a football team in the state,when Peabody got past you guys ,I thought they would win it all. As far as BB goes I think we could hang fairly well with UC if we can hit a few shots and take care of the ball. I also think Mitchell is a different beast, hopefully they'll have the point guard back and healthy. Our biggest problem is that we don't face anyone to prepare us for the atheletes we'll face at the state. Makes it tough when you try to adjust on the fly. Our Coaches do a great job and they'll know how we need to play, The kids will have to do the rest. I'll be fine either way, got baseball as soon as this is over and then my favorite sport starts.

Pujo, I would have said this on FB board but would have gotten crucified. I definitely believe we were best 2A FB team as you did. Peabody was better that night. I think we would beat them 4 out 5 times but nonetheless they are State Champions and we aren't. I think playing UC in Quarters is your best shot. If you play them in semis or finals they will be more relaxed and used to surroundings. They are an awesome team but they are also 17 and 18 year olds so anything can happen. Is the Valentine kid still at Hampton?

Edited by TCAIntense

I haven't made a prediction...I haven't even said we would win...All I said is we owe you back for the 1960 banner you got hanging in your gym...

Believe me, our team is going in on a mission...They have come together the last half of the season and seem to have finally "gotten" it as far as how our coaches want them to play and they know what championship teams need to achieve it...They are finally healthy...

You say we are a "25-point favorite" ?...I'll take a one point win...

We know you are on a mission. We know you will play hard. We know you are healthy. We know your team knows what championship teams need to achieve. You really don't have to try to convince us of your superiority. WE KNOW.

You mentioned the 1960 championship and I am sure you know this but just in case.... Union City was undefeated that year heading into the state championship game ( I believe they came in at 34 and 0)  Nobody gave Hampton a chance besides the Hampton fans. The Nashville headlines read after the game that " ONION CITY IS GOING TO CRY TONIGHT" Miracles do happen in high school basketball.  

I have a video on Buck Vanhuss who was the coach of the 1960 team. Willie Malone, an all-state player from that team was interviewed and he said when Cotton Nave was on the free throw line and it was certain that Hampton was going to win that Union City's star player ( I believe his name was Jim Ed Miller, he went on to star at Vanderbilt) told Willie...... "Willie, I can't believe that your team is beating us"  Willie replied,.." I can't believe we are either" LOL  

Hampton just showed up then and let their game do their talking.  You may get revenge for that banner, but we will always be known for that state championship.

Edited by dogtruth

Pujo, I would have said this on FB board but would have gotten crucified. I definitely believe we were best 2A FB team as you did. Peabody was better that night. I think we would beat them 4 out 5 times but nonetheless they are State Champions and we aren't. I think playing UC in Quarters is your best shot. If you play them in semis or quarters they will be more relaxed and used to surroundings. They are an awesome team but they are also 17 and 18 year olds so anything can happen. Is the Valentine kid still at Hampton?

I'm with you TCAintense, I still think you were the best team. I also agree about playing UC in the 1st round, once teams settle in and get somewhat comfortable,its a different story. It will be an uphill task for us,but its doable. And yes Valentine is a senior and he's a goodun but we have a good capable cast to go with him.

ok poof...or pujo or whatever you name is.  I just watched 3 films of your team.  today and yesterday.  I  really didn't see what I was expecting.  From what we saw from TCA...they would whip your boys up and down the floor.  You see, the type games and teams that come from your neck of the woods are little different.  Usually, a team from the west dominates in the state tournament.  When we run up against a "hoover" type team and you see a team from the west....two different type styles for sure.  I personally, from what I along with three others watched, didn't see anything at all that Union City has not faced.  Matter of fact, we have seen your style probably more than you have seen your own.  Now, about last year when you guys played Mitchell, yes, you played them in the semi's but I thought you or someone said it was a close game....lol.   I just read over the entire stat sheet and entire game stats.  You  played them on a neutral floor.  We played Mitchell on THEIR floor and was in the entire game until the last 2 minutes when they pulled away and won by 10 ( Mitchell that is last year at Memphis )  54 - 44.  We actually lead several times and was a back and forth game.  Now...your stats are as follows on a Neutral floor.  1st quarter, Mitchell 22, Hampton 7.  At Half, Mitchell 30, Hampton 18.  Game, Mitchell 57, Hampton 44.  Your team was 30 - 5 going into last years game.  Sir, we will be there to make the finals...we will take it one game at a time.  Like I said, ask the TCA folks, they are already giving your team very little hope and they just knew they could come into our place and win.  Now, their team COULD play in our district, they are that good but we are also good enough we took them to the woodshed this past Tuesday night.  So, I wish both teams the best, both will be prepared and ready I know. 

ok poof...or pujo or whatever you name is. I just watched 3 films of your team. today and yesterday. I really didn't see what I was expecting. From what we saw from TCA...they would whip your boys up and down the floor. You see, the type games and teams that come from your neck of the woods are little different. Usually, a team from the west dominates in the state tournament. When we run up against a "hoover" type team and you see a team from the west....two different type styles for sure. I personally, from what I along with three others watched, didn't see anything at all that Union City has not faced. Matter of fact, we have seen your style probably more than you have seen your own. Now, about last year when you guys played Mitchell, yes, you played them in the semi's but I thought you or someone said it was a close game....lol. I just read over the entire stat sheet and entire game stats. You played them on a neutral floor. We played Mitchell on THEIR floor and was in the entire game until the last 2 minutes when they pulled away and won by 10 ( Mitchell that is last year at Memphis ) 54 - 44. We actually lead several times and was a back and forth game. Now...your stats are as follows on a Neutral floor. 1st quarter, Mitchell 22, Hampton 7. At Half, Mitchell 30, Hampton 18. Game, Mitchell 57, Hampton 44. Your team was 30 - 5 going into last years game. Sir, we will be there to make the finals...we will take it one game at a time. Like I said, ask the TCA folks, they are already giving your team very little hope and they just knew they could come into our place and win. Now, their team COULD play in our district, they are that good but we are also good enough we took them to the woodshed this past Tuesday night. So, I wish both teams the best, both will be prepared and ready I know.

Ok UC, everytime you and a couple more ( not Copenoc) seem to give TCA credit( and I do appreciate it) you come back with the woodshed comment. Look, you whipped us good in second half and it was over before third Q was over. You are a great team so move on. I never said we were going to come into UC and slaughter you guys. I felt very confident we could win and so did our boys. Do you really think a Substate team is going to go into a game thinking they are going to lose? Come on man, this is sports and competition. Do you really think Hampton is going to lay down? No, those boys have pride and heart and will play to the end. They may lose by 20 but there isn't one ounce of them that thinks they are going to lose before the game. Now, enjoy it while you can this year. UC is the only team in Single A that has a remote chance of beating Mitchell. My hats off to you if you do. Now next year, it will be my time! TCA has #5, the 6'7" kid, center Pagoaga and a great shooting guard back and then a player you didn't see, Goldsmith. He was all district last year and is a MAN. Very well may be best FB player in west Tn next year. He decided not to play this year but says he s coming back next year. He's 6 foot 213 and can play post or guard. TCA will be back and depending on what Mitchell has coming back could win region and host SubState. # 5 will be playing for Memphis Bulls AAU this Spring( Deberry and Simpson's team) and should come back even better. You know, we beat Scotts Hill in the first round of our district pretty bad but none of us ever refer back to that game as a woodshed or beatdown. There are some great people in Scotts Hill that we respect and we also know it will come back around someday when they will be on top and we will be rebuilding. I hope a west Tn team wins it all but let's also respect those kids. They work hard just like our kids do.