WHAT SENIORS HAVE SIGNED WHERE?

coyotewrestlingclub

Ouch...

As painfully true as that is, club wrestling is a different lifestyle. Club teams offer a good median for those kids who kind of still want to continue their career, but aren't interested in making a job out of it. In college wrestling, it becomes a job. If you wrestle club, you have more freedom to come and go as you please, but are able to still compete in the sport you love. Maybe those kids that choose MTSU have that mindset. If that's the case, a DII program wouldn't be the best fit for them.

Ouch...

As painfully true as that is, club wrestling is a different lifestyle. Club teams offer a good median for those kids who kind of still want to continue their career, but aren't interested in making a job out of it. In college wrestling, it becomes a job. If you wrestle club, you have more freedom to come and go as you please, but are able to still compete in the sport you love. Maybe those kids that choose MTSU have that mindset. If that's the case, a DII program wouldn't be the best fit for them.

Thats not true. MTSU is a club team because the school does not fund them, because of Title IX. They have scholarship wrestlers and believe me, as a former MT wrestler, between work and school and practices, its exactly like a job. I promise you if you tried to "come and go as you please" the MT coaching staff would ask you to not come back. 

It's a club team. It attracts kids who want to wrestle club competition.

This is the same team that beat Cumberland pretty good last season, an NAIA program. Bet if they faced King this year they would've won. I'll say it again, the ONLY reason they're "club" is because they're not funded by the school. Title IX. It's borderline offensive for NCWA wrestlers to hear that c word since their squad could beat a lot of higher up programs.

Is MTSU's wrestling program a "club team"?

According to this website, it is.  If it is a club, how can it be borderline offensive for the wrestlers to hear the word "club"?  If it is a club, it is a club.  Don't be so defensive.  You yourself said it is a club team so what gives?  Also, are you saying the information on this website is not true?

http://mtsu.edu/camprec/clubs/clubsinfo.php

This is the same team that beat Cumberland pretty good last season, an NAIA program. Bet if they faced King this year they would've won. I'll say it again, the ONLY reason they're "club" is because they're not funded by the school. Title IX. It's borderline offensive for NCWA wrestlers to hear that c word since their squad could beat a lot of higher up programs.

It's great that kids want to continue wrestling even if it is at the club level. Make no mistake, there is a major difference between club wrestling and wrestling at one of the NCAA sanctioned schools.

Incorrect...Cumberland beat MTSU quite badly last season (36-9). Keep in mind that Jake Williams, who won the NAIA National Championship last year, was out for this dual and MTSU scored a fall over the backup. And when we were supposed to dual them again later that year they decided to team forfeit to us at the MTSU duals.

However, in the 2012-13 season MTSU did beat a Cumberland team that forfeited 3 weights and of the 7 wrestled matches we had 5 starters out (Sandefer, Gallegos, Linton, Johnson, Stewart). And I may be bias, but my guess is that they all would have won their matches.

Edited by cadet130
  • Upvote 1