Next Dyersburg Coach

HoopsTN1

For Burkley, Dburg would be a pay raise, better facilities, and a bump up from A to AA.  He would be leaving behind his hometown.  Anyone know how much Middleton girls lost from last season?

This would be crazy, but can you throw Cory Barrett in the mix? Since the Dickson County deal fell through, where does he turn?  Would he make the downward move to AA? Does he have a choice?

Edited by ForkedDeerTrojan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Burkley is a great coach and better man. He would be a great choice, but I just can't see him leaving Middleton. Both squads can make deep tourney runs on a regular basis. Larue makes a lot of sense. He's had a lot of success in the area. He's won everywhere he's been. There is also a posting on the TSSAA website for a girls' bb assistant at Crockett. This deal may be done already.

yes, there are a lot of options hopefully they will do better selecting a girls coach then they did in selecting the current boys coach a few years ago.  Have we had a winning season yet?

If you want to base it all on winning you may have a fair point, but look at the players he's had the past few years. If he sacrificed keeping some trouble around the program to win then they would have had much more success, but he holds everyone of his players to a standard they must uphold. I think Mahafey is a really good coach that gets a lot out of his players on and off the court. Not many coaches like/will cut kids based off of behavior but he does.

That is a common statement made when a local favorite is not doing very well in the win/loss portion of the schedule.   It is a common phrase that he or she is doing good with what they have, but they are kicking out the trouble makers and etc.  I'm not sure of how many years he has been the coach exactly probably less than 5, however i do know that he did not have a winning record at Ripley prior to his resigning and coming here.  I can assure that group of young men (Ripley) are probably a lot tougher to coach and keep align than what he has here in Dyersburg yet he did not win there either and I being from Ripley do not recall that many encounters with troubled players.

Now Lonnie Starks came in  winning more games with what Mac left behind and has continually elevated that program each year while  keeping the kids in control and out of trouble, winning championships, playing in the state, substate and regional tournaments, players are all academically eligible and there are several going on to play basketball at the next level.  I don't have a ax to grind but Dyersburg boys basketball should be doing a lot better that what we are currently putting on the floor. and it is not all the players fault.