Next Dyersburg Coach

HoopsTN1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure who is in for it but I know of a middle school coach in Northwest TN that would do a good job there. She has been very successful at the middle school level and has had only 3 losses in her two years as a head coach and was under another successful coach previous to that. I am sure whoever they hire will be a good fit

Well to start, I do not believe that Coach Coffman will allow the DHS administration to hire blindly. He put in 17 years here and he cares too much about the girls he's leaving to leave them with a coach he doesn't believe in.  He has a great knowledge of the program, school, and community.  He also has great insight into potential coaches that would fit this program, school, and community--not only in NW TN but across a few states.  I have a feeling that Coffman will at least offer a list of names for the administration to start from.

Here are my thoughts on who Dburg should look at:

I'm not sure of his teaching credentials, but I believe that coach Jeff Ward is highly liked among the players.  He is currently an assistant for both the boys and girls teams.

Lyle Larue (former head coach at Obion Central and newly hired assistant for Crockett County) has a record of success and is familiar with 13AA.

Natalie Fuqua the head coach at Martin Middle School has been very successful and is probably who sportlover88 was mentioning in the first post.

My next two are long shots, but why not shoot for the stars?

Kim Decker former Obion Central player, former Dyersburg teacher and BOYS basketball coach, current principal at Lake County HS. Her husband is leaving Dyersburg to be head football coach at Obion Central. It would probably take a considerable amount of $ considering she would be giving up head principal salary, but crazier things have happened.  Maybe she could be vice principal/AD/coach?  I'm dreaming on this one, but I think she would be great.

James Burkley is the current head coach at Middleton HS where last year his team won the state title and was undefeated.  He also coached the West TN TACA All-Star game this year. 

This will be interesting. Lot of factors coming into play: rookie principal with no hiring experience, rookie AD coming straight out of an assistant football position, and a lot of changes in NW TN. Don't think Coffman will/should have a role in the hiring. 

So who do you think they go after?

This will be interesting. Lot of factors coming into play: rookie principal with no hiring experience, rookie AD coming straight out of an assistant football position, and a lot of changes in NW TN. Don't think Coffman will/should have a role in the hiring. 

The first two points you made are exactly why they will (in my opinion) involve Coffman.  I've heard that he did in fact offer a list of coaches that he recommended for the job.

Burkley is a long shot...he's currently both the girls' and boys' head coach at Middleton, he has taken a very bad program to the top in a short while, it's his hometown, and (last but not least) he's Middleton's equivalent of Vince Lombardi and Bart Starr rolled into one where the public is concerned, as he won a championship there in his playing days too.

Dyersburg, to the outsider is a much more attractive job...if Burkley has aspirations of "bigger and better things" for his future, they would have to be considered, but he's in a sweet spot right now where he is.

Should the administration convince Burkley that this is a rare opportunity that can not be passed up, it would be a homerun hire. Nobody gets more effort from a team than him, and he knows the game from tip to buzzer.