District 4A 2015-2016

LilGoose10

I'm not 100% sold on mine. Just a feeling haha. Your ranking definitely makes sense though.

My reasoning:

Coalfield has been a bit underwhelming to start the year. They've definitely righted the ship, but still. Didn't like their awful start. OS still doesn't look "great" yet, but better than I expected them to at this point. They handily beat Oakdale, but didn't look good doing it (if that makes sense). I personally can't penalize Wartburg for losing to the #1 team in the district. 

However, you make a good point in saying OS over them. Even though it wasn't pretty, they do have a double-digit win against a district opponent. 

You will have a better feel for the whole thing by January, once teams have gotten a few games under their belt.  I saw OS this summer and they are not close to the team they were last year, but I agree with the assessment that their coaching may get them a win or two that turns a few heads.  Coalfield, to me, is the second best team because they brought back so much.  However, I also think they resemble Wartburg in one aspect....they probably rely on the first five more than they do their bench.  I have seen Sunbright and Jellico (in passing), they don't much meet the eye test as solid basketball teams but they might get a win or two in the district.  Oakdale can go either way...based on their results against OS, they may be trending towards middle of the pack.  Oneida has two important factors:  Arguably the best player in the district and the deepest bench.  Coach West can use as many as 9 different players most nights and sometimes it's like watching clones entering the game....meaning kids with similar skills replacing ones already on the court. 

Kazeeko

The Coalfield team I saw lose by 50 at Tellico Plains last night will be lucky to win 5 games. Just a poor effort across the board. Very slow team, no size, terrible on defense and played with no effort. Same mistakes over and over. TP would have easily broke a 100 pts had the clock not run for whole 4th qtr. Their second unit would beat CF by 20 pts. If CF is one of the top 2 in 4a, then it's the worst district in the state. I know, I know...just one game, but it was really, really bad.

Lady Jackets won their 5th straight tonight.

They have played 1000% better than the first couple games. Not the best opponents lately, so we'll see what happens against better teams. But they certainly look  much better... shooting better, playing harder, moving with a purpose.

Oneida at Oakdale was a fun game. This was a tale of two halfs. Oneida jumped on the Eagles in the second quarter. Oakdale looked like they couldn't hold a basketball. Thought it was going to be a 30 point blowout honestly. Halfway through the third, the Eagles were down by as much 17 I think before they stormed back in the fourth to tie the game with 2:30 left in the fourth. Oneida showed their poise and stayed cool under the pressure. They made a few key plays late and pulled away to win by 6. 

Oakdale looked a million times better than they did the last two games. Hopefully the confidence gained from being a few shots away from taking down the #1 team in the district will propel them next week as they get Coalfield.

My photos from the game if any parents, family, etc want them. Free to download/share:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskr1sUHn

Edited by LilGoose10

Here is something interesting about 4A so far

Strength of Schedule so far according to CoachT 

Wartburg 12th

O.S.         14th

Jellico      29th

Oakdale   70th

Oneida     78th

Sun          80th

Coalfield  107th

It won't show up now but I bet teams with tougher schedules will perform the best come tournament time.

Here is something interesting about 4A so far

Strength of Schedule so far according to CoachT 

Wartburg 12th

O.S.         14th

Jellico      29th

Oakdale   70th

Oneida     78th

Sun          80th

Coalfield  107th

It won't show up now but I bet teams with tougher schedules will perform the best come tournament time.