Poll: Public Schools With Open Enrollment

A 1.8 multiplier for BOTH Private & Public Open Enrollment   

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should the TSSAA Board of Control mandate that all PUBLIC schools in TN which have open enrollment (e.g. Union City) be required to use the 1.8 enrollment multiplier, just like private schools competing in Division I?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Yes, but the multiplier should be less than the private school multiplier

Folks can debate the minutiae of this all they want.... Here are the facts of the matter, plus or minus a detail.....

Between 1A and 2A since 1999 there have been 30 State Championship games played.

Out of 30 games....

19 games won by Publics

11 games won by Privates.

But..... This is not the typical Public vs Private argument.... This is a question of Public vs. Public.

Out of those 19 Public school Wins... Only 8 schools did it!

6 - Alcoa - Blount Co. - Open Enrollment

4 - Trousdale Co. - Open Enrollment

3 - S. Pittsburgh - Marion Co. - Open Enrollment

2 - Union City - Obion Co. - Open Enrollment

1 - Gordonsville - Smith Co. - ??????

1 - Wayne Co. - Closed Enrollment/Zoned

1 - Huntingdon - Carroll Co. - Closed Enrollment/Zoned

1 - Signal Mountain - Hamilton Co. - Closed Enrollment/Zoned

Anyone see the obvious?

I will not make no statements but would like to here all the opinions and arguments folks care to sling at the data.

Open Enrollment Counties have won 16 titles...

Closed Enrollment/Zoned Counties have won 3 titles...

+ or - Gordonsville to either side cause I don't know if that county is open/closed.

What am I missing here?... I will set back and read others conclusions on the data.

how is Trousdale open zoned? 1 HS in entire county, no out of county students allowed?

Tennessee has the highest multiplier in the country...Booger thinks it should go the way of Georgia and repeal it....look at ND's history of success on the field until the hiring of Coach Fant.....we would get good coaches occasionally and have some very random success.....we couldn't win before the brains at T$$AA decide my kids were 1.8x better than the other kids in the state......we have have had some great success over the years with our girls soccer team and some individual wrestling success (But few team titles); some close runs, but thats it.....but ole' Booger is appreciative of the compliment that someone at T$$AA bestowed upon my children

my gosh, Georgia's was initinally implimented because their Speaker of the House was whining about his daughter's debate team at some small school in Bremen kept getting smacked around every year at the debate championships by some private school in Atlanta....SERIOUSLY?

Booger just sayin sleepy-smiley.gif

Tennessee has the highest multiplier in the country...Booger thinks it should go the way of Georgia and repeal it....look at ND's history of success on the field until the hiring of Coach Fant.....we would get good coaches occasionally and have some very random success.....we couldn't win before the brains at T$$AA decide my kids were 1.8x better than the other kids in the state......we have have had some great success over the years with our girls soccer team and some individual wrestling success (But few team titles); some close runs, but thats it.....but ole' Booger is appreciative of the compliment that someone at T$$AA bestowed upon my children

my gosh, Georgia's was initinally implimented because their Speaker of the House was whining about his daughter's debate team at some small school in Bremen kept getting smacked around every year at the debate championships by some private school in Atlanta....SERIOUSLY?

Booger just sayin sleepy-smiley.gif

Georgia from what I've read is considering separating the Private Schools from Public Schools.in High School Football.

how is Trousdale open zoned? 1 HS in entire county, no out of county students allowed?

Where in my post did I say Trousdale Co. and "zoned"?

TC is "open enrollment" to all in the County no matter where they live in the County - whether it be because of one school only, other Open Enrollment Counties have more than just one school.... It/they are not "zoned" liked Maury Co. is.

According to "No Child Left Behind" regulations any child seeking to go to Any County for academic reasons is allowed to transfer to any school in any County they want if approved by the school board and pays out of county tuition and provides transportation (my wife and I are going to do this when our daughter starts school by sending her to Summertown [Lawrence County] and not mTp [Maury County].).... I can only imagine it is just a 'happen stance' if they wind up at a school that has championship caliber programs.

Open Counties are not "zoned" and will "openly sign up" any one from any part of their County no matter the number of schools they have in the County whether it be 1 to 3.... The parents and child can choose which school to attend without being hampered by being "zoned" for a particular school district that they would 'have to' attend OR seek approval by the County School Board for a special transfer across "zones"/school districts.

The sticky points and confusion comes in TSSAA's

transfer rule of athletics. All points I mentioned above pertain to academics without penalty of transfer.... According to TSSAA transfer rules under athletics, a child must set out a year if transfered from school to school unless there is a bona fide change of address.

Well, in any "Open Enrollment County" any parent or child can pick which school they want to attend *from year one*. No "Zones" to be forced into a certain school but rather complete choice.

A lot easier than proving your child's failing academics is because of the school and seeking school board approval for transfer to another school zone in that County or to another County under "no child left behind" OR completely moving to have a "bona fide change of address" for athletic reasons.... In Closed Enrollment/Zoned Counties parents are strangled from *year one* with school choice making children's academic and athletic careers suffer at the hands of the school boards decisions in "Zoning" in poorer performing schools both academically and athletically.

Trousdale County is the epitome of "Open Enrollment" since you say there is but one school. Making it Open to all the County residents to go there without penalty..... Maury Co is the epitome of Closed Enrollment/Zoned.

There is confusion though in this matter. According to USA Today "Centennial’s Deon Sanders has become one of Centennial’s defensive leaders, logging 15 tackles. He transferred from BGA and did not move. BGA and Centennial are less than four miles apart."...[..]..." In private-to-public transfers that involve a residence change, TSSAA executive director Bernard Childress said these standards must be meet for immediate eligibility:

* The previous residence must be outside the new school’s zone.

* The new residence must be inside the zone of the new school and outside the zone of the public school the player was previously zoned to attend.

* The athlete must live more than 20 miles from the private school he attended."....

Point is.... If one is living inside a Closed Enrollment/Zoned County one is more handicapped from *year one* of school choice than what Open Enrollment Counties are.

If from *year one* I had 2-3 schools to choose from and could choose any one of the 3 in the County for my boy to go to and not forced into a "Zone" by the County then don't you think I'd choose the school with the best of both worlds academically and athletically AND so would a lot of other parents thus eventually making the programs filled with better capable athletes because the program has more better athletes to choose from?.?.?.... Uh... Yeah.

Closed Enrollment/Zoned Counties do not have the advantages of Open Enrollment from *year one*. There SHOULD be an offset TSSAA should enforce for it too. That offset should be making them play up one Class.

I really - really dislike all this "Zoning" mess.

It is mainly a city-county thing and all about resources. The cities have an addition set of taxes layered on top of the county taxes and can pay for better facilities, higher teacher base pay, higher coaching supplements, higher numbers of coaches, etc. Roll all that together and they have the ability to attract the better coaches. Several cities near me regularly attract good head coaches from other schools to be assistant coaches at the city schools because there is a significant raise in pay to move over and of course they are going to do it to take care of their families. The other thing is the youth programs that are better facilitated in the urban setting and there are some public schools in more affluent settings that can put more resources into the program through booster programs. You can point at those specific examples of open zone publics all you want but the truth is that these places have all developed good programs and are just successful right now. There are huge numbers of open zone schools out there that are not winning championships.

Good points.

Georgia from what I've read is considering separating the Private Schools from Public Schools.in High School Football.

so has TN, but it aint happened yet....Booger kinda for it and kinda against it.....

for it because we have a chance for more of those championships that the PUBS that have been stripping us of; the ridiculous multiplier goes away and we get to quit explaining to our children that just because the state says you are 1.8 times better than all the other kids in the state, and tell them that they are all equal to some extent

against it because the travel expenses will put a pretty decent strain on our school

Boogaer just sayin :mrgreen:  

Lots of public schools in TN with open en rollment. Lots of them that are not good at sports. It would be horrible to bump them up when they can't compete where they are now.

Same can be said about some of the private schools.  Open zoned school have an obvious advantage over closed zone schools.

so has TN, but it aint happened yet....Booger kinda for it and kinda against it.....

for it because we have a chance for more of those championships that the PUBS that have been stripping us of; the ridiculous multiplier goes away and we get to quit explaining to our children that just because the state says you are 1.8 times better than all the other kids in the state, and tell them that they are all equal to some extent

against it because the travel expenses will put a pretty decent strain on our school

Boogaer just sayin :mrgreen:  

ND would have a possibly good rivalries with Baylor,McCallie and Boyd Buchanan