Poll: Public-Private Vote

CoachT

Public-Private  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following do you prefer?

• Keep things the way they are
    • Complete Split
    • All schools in one division but classification split based on whether the school is in a rural or urban environment
    • Advancement to the next class based on success
    • Combine everybody in the regular season and have a postseason split

See post #9.

I don't care about recruiting. Schools like Lipscomb, CPA and Knoxville Catholic don't need to recruit to attract students to their academic and athletic missions.

I care about the declining sense of competition, which exists in an inverse relationship with our athletic leaders' sense of entitlement. "We can't beat them. They're winning at a disproportionate rate. Rather than raising our own standards, let's refuse to play them and kick them out of our league." That's a poor lesson to teach the kids who are developing athletically, mentally and morally under their care.

100% correct.  If there's a split you'll have coaches, students, parents, ect at a middle school game with their private school colors and letters on........there will be nothing a public school coach can do. 

That's not accurate. DII schools will still be bound by TSSAA rules, as they are now. They could still get reported and sanctioned. 

But where you are correct -- if all private schools are kicked out of DI, they may be inclined to start their own league altogether. With so many new schools joining the old-guard DII schools, there would now be enough teams to financially and logistically support a new association. And if that happened, DI publics would have no way to sanction schools who chose to recruit.

That's not accurate. DII schools will still be bound by TSSAA rules, as they are now. They could still get reported and sanctioned. 

But where you are correct -- if all private schools are kicked out of DI, they may be inclined to start their own league altogether. With so many new schools joining the old-guard DII schools, there would now be enough teams to financially and logistically support a new association. And if that happened, DI publics would have no way to sanction schools who chose to recruit.

My scenario is under a full split which takes privates away from any TSSAA punishment.  This is why the TSSAA will not vote for a full split.  TSSAA knows they would loose an arms race against privates so they wanna keep them close but not to close.

I don't care about recruiting. Schools like Lipscomb, CPA and Knoxville Catholic don't need to recruit to attract students to their academic and athletic missions.

I care about the declining sense of competition, which exists in an inverse relationship with our athletic leaders' sense of entitlement. "We can't beat them. They're winning at a disproportionate rate. Rather than raising our own standards, let's refuse to play them and kick them out of our league." That's a poor lesson to teach the kids who are developing athletically, mentally and morally under their care.

Excellent Point Sir.

+100

Any team in the state that can sway good athletes to their school does. that's public and private, some schools are in a much better situation than others. I think the best way to deal with this is rural and urban. But that would still be extremely difficult. I'd say the meeting today would be a fun one to watch. Its a huge majority that wants the split but that will not address the things it takes to create a level playing field. It goes much deeper than that. 

Is it really that difficult to make schools play players that are zoned for specific schools? Seems pretty simple to me that you play where you live. If you want to attend a school outside your zone for 'academic reasons' bad enough, then you should forfeit your eligibility to play sports. People don't have a sense of pride in where they are from anymore. Most would rather transfer somewhere to win, as opposed to working hard and representing their town/community. Just my two cents

Edited by thegreatwhite1

Some of their possible districts (put out there at the last minute, apparently) looked ridiculous. It's as if they're purposely wanting the stress the worst possible results to sway opinion and votes.

I agree 100%. Kreager w DNJ has a 2nd grade grasp of geography and high school athletics beyond Rutherford County. Propaganda reporting if you ask me
  • Upvote 1