Poll: Public-Private Vote

CoachT

Public-Private  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following do you prefer?

• Keep things the way they are
    • Complete Split
    • All schools in one division but classification split based on whether the school is in a rural or urban environment
    • Advancement to the next class based on success
    • Combine everybody in the regular season and have a postseason split

It seems to me that the school administrators who represent the schools for the TSSAA voted in a way that did not reflect the opinions of their constituents.........Sound familiar?

More likely is the members who voted for the privates to stay knew the TSSAA would be taken to court, lose, then be bankrupt.  The 5 brave members put the TSSAA ahead of what some two bit AD from Lewis County has to say or some single A coach who only thinks of his 250+ students. 

If they can't conduct business for fear of lawsuits they just need to shutdown and let someone else restart.

That is the stupidest thing I've read on these boards.....and that's saying a lot. 

They fear a lawsuit because they knew they were in the wrong by trying to remove privates when privates had zero say.   

I'm not exactly sure what the lawsuit (if there was one) would be about.  BA's argument was that the TSSAA was a state actor and its recruiting rules violated BA's right to free speech.  The lawsuit was never about the split...on what grounds would the private schools argue that the TSSAA had violated their constitutional rights (as the prior lawsuit did establish that the TSSAA was indeed a state actor)?

It probably doesnt matter how vague the threat is, as long as there is a threat. Brsdley Central could sue over the Super 32 plan, it could likely be proven they'd be spending more and losing more than others being in Region 1. But that's the format being used the next 2 years. Member schools can strive for what they feel is a better system, or on an individual basis, move up for.money reasons, better competition, or to avoid competition. But at the end of the day they need to live with the decision at least until the next go-around.

That is the stupidest thing I've read on these boards.....and that's saying a lot.

They fear a lawsuit because they knew they were in the wrong by trying to remove privates when privates had zero say.

Wrong...privates could be elected to BOC and the legislative council through the same process the public school representative are elected.

Now you want to talk about unfair. The privates are promised spots on the board and they can still get elected to those previous seats as well. Now that is preferential treatment.

Edited by Gerry Bertier

Who is "they"?  The TSSAA?  The 4 misguided reps who voted for the split?

Who is "misguided"? You use the term "rep", which is the abbreviated form of representative...meaning to represent those who elected them...of which almost all favor the split.

The threat of litigation influenced the vote to split, because another private school lawsuit almost bankrupted the association a few years back. This vote wasn't about fairness at all, it was about money (as usual). The argument's used by the "haves" to keep the advantages they currently hold over the "have not's" quickly went from "we just barely can afford travel cost now", separate us and we'll form our own association", and "the public's make more money when they play us", to "place us in a division where we play only other schools like us and we'll file suit" when early leaks from those involved indicated that a complete split would be almost unanimous ...classic. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was discussing this the other day with a friend. As a private school dad I'm in favor of a complete split.

I'm in favor of the privates dumping the TSSAA

I'm in favor on the stealing every good football player in the state and leaving the publics a JV league.

Hey that could be another reason why the split won't happen.