• Dekalb County
    • Upperman
    • Camden Central
    • McMinn Central
    • Covington
    • Dyersburg
    • Pigeon Forge
    • Elizabethton
    • Not Listed here (comment with team name below)

As you probably know, I have been on the open zone issue for years. Not that I have a problem with it, only that it is a glaring issue that the TSSAA has not addressed as compared to the privates who have a 1.8 multiplier, don't have a "home zone" that automatically brings in talent, and have high tuition as a deterrent to many good athletes attending. Once the TSSAA made a decision to try to level the playing field by separating D2 out and adding in a multiplier for D1 privates, they then have a responsibility NOT to dodge the more complicated issue of open zone schools.

So my question centers around the fact that some schools are "technically" open zone, but realistically, they don't have many out of zone contributors on their team, as compared to other open zone schools that have quite a few out of zone athletes starting or contributing to their success. Not being familiar with Fairview, which category do they fall into?

Yeah I definitely agree with you on the fact that open zones have a distinct advantage just as much if not more than D1 privates. Heck Milan is open zone and I will readily admit it. But I'm not like slot of the people on here that will complain about it. Just line up and give it all ya got. And if the other team is better (whether it be private or open zone) just work harder and do better the next time around.

Yeah I definitely agree with you on the fact that open zones have a distinct advantage just as much if not more than D1 privates. Heck Milan is open zone and I will readily admit it. But I'm not like slot of the people on here that will complain about it. Just line up and give it all ya got. And if the other team is better (whether it be private or open zone) just work harder and do better the next time around.

BPM,

This is not the point in my opinion. Of course, we all, "just line up and play who's in front." The issue is the responsibility of the TSSAA. In my opinion, they can, 1. Not try to level the playing field, and just lump 'em all together. or 2. Not ignore the obvious and glaring issue of Open Zone. Either is reasonable. But to ignore open zone while separating out D2 and adding one of the largest multipliers (I have heard it is the largest but I don't know this to be a fact) in the COUNTRY  to D1 privates is inconsistent.

The current position allows teams that draw from a HUGE talent pool to compete with teams that "play with what gets off the bus" without a pesky multiplier, large tuition baggage, or not even having a "home zone" like the D1 privates.

This is not an issue of CoachT posters' responsibility, or the schools' responsibility, or the coaches and fans' responsibility, it is a matter that it is the TSSAA's responsibility. That is what they are charged with, and have attempted to do by separating D2 and adding the multiplier to D1. They can't have it both ways IMO. Either be consistent, or get out of the way and lump it all together. It's easy for the privates to be a whipping boy when in the past they have had no representation, while the TSSAA receives financial benefit from having the privates in their organization.

Edited by Govolsknox

BPM,

This is not the point in my opinion. Of course, we all, "just line up and play who's in front." The issue is the responsibility of the TSSAA. In my opinion, they can, 1. Not try to level the playing field, and just lump 'em all together. or 2. Not ignore the obvious and glaring issue of Open Zone. Either is reasonable. But to ignore open zone while separating out D2 and adding one of the largest multipliers (I have heard it is the largest but I don't know this to be a fact) in the COUNTRY to D1 privates is inconsistent.

The current position allows teams that draw from a HUGE talent pool to compete with teams that "play with what gets off the bus" without a pesky multiplier, large tuition baggage, or not even having a "home zone" like the D1 privates.

This is not an issue of CoachT posters' responsibility, or the schools' responsibility, or the coaches and fans' responsibility, it is a matter that it is the TSSAA's responsibility. That is what they are charged with, and have attempted to do by separating D2 and adding the multiplier to D1. They can't have it both ways IMO. Either be consistent, or get out of the way and lump it all together. It's easy for the privates to be a whipping boy when in the past they have had no representation, while the TSSAA receives financial benefit from having the privates in their organization.

You take what I said too far. I never said that was the point.... just that it was my opinion. I agree with everything you have said. All I meant was at the end of the day, people can cry about it or concentrate on being the best they can be and let the chips fall where they may. I prefer the latter.

open enrollment wouldnt do a whole lot for us in waverly

No open zone would not do much in Waverly, but if Wavery was a suburb a 300k population base, and practiced selective open zoning, pulling in players but keeping numbers low to stay in current classs, it would help a lot. I think the whole problem is everyone in 3a is playing for the exact same trophy, but not by the exact same rules. But I also agree you will never equal it all out, so just line it up and play ball. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan