TN High @ Sullivan South

THSVikings2004

Cap1, you said it well, THS just doesn't want to tackle.   There were times in the DB game that they were giving the DB runner high fives as he blew past them.       Play like that Friday night and #3 and #43 for South will absolutely take you to the cleaners. 

Boone went through this a couple of years ago, the guy would be running and the D just stands there watching.       South is not that good this year but you still have to do the basics to win - block, tackle, etc.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"giving the DB runner high fives as he blew past them", :roflol:That's hilarious but true. There were a few times I wanted to jump up and shout Ole'!!!  :roflolk: But my wife threatened to leave me sitting there at the game. 

All jokes aside I'm hoping the coaching staff will point out these obvious "bullfighting" tactics when they watch film of the game and these guys strap it on this Friday. 

Cap1, when Boone comes up there on Sept 18 I'm hoping the Vikings tackle the same way. But not counting on it, I'm sure the coaches have been drilling on tackles this week....

Yup. Coaches have been chewing out players who don't wrap up with some good ole up-downs this week. Aught to get them to tackle properly

South is not very good this year, but other than THS and Greeneville they have a pretty easy schedule.      Being a Boone fan, since we played them so close I was hoping that South was loaded, but that's just not the case.

I was at the THS/DB game and THS did not look very good either.     Very poor tackling, a non-existent passing game (didn't complete a pass until Q4), and DB roasted them on almost every kickoff and punt.

I will go on record as saying that if THS plays against South like they played against DB then South wins.

South will be ok in their conference this year, i think i stated before that this team will not blow anyone out this year but i dont think they will get blown away by anyone either. I did see some bright spots against Boone, the sophomore QB will be special as long as he stays healthy. If we see a good passing team we will be in trouble. Most of the skill players have not seen much meaningful PT before Friday and we did lose a special class with one of those kids playing D1 ball at Navy and another playing Qb at ETSU. If we can stay healthy (no depth at all) by midseason we could be pretty good. Im thinking TnHi will be a tuff game for us but it is a winnable game if we tackle well.

I believe you see a totally different THS team this week. #5 and #22 still get majority of touches but QB play improves. This kid works very hard and his 1st varsity game vs DB is tough task. Defense steps up with the DE #44 and #80 leading the way. Once #7 heels he will get back to form. This team has huge potential and will improve from week 1 to week 2.

THS 31-14

Good post ETF... and I totally agree. However I would still like to see #15 and #16 share time at the QB position. #15 may be the hands down frontrunner but you should never overlook God given skill if the kid is coachable. We do have the future to look forward to. And with that being said... we should also think about how the loss of this years talented senior class is going to effect this program. Although #22 is no doubt the workhorse and #5 the playmaker, giving some of these younger back some burn would work wonders for the rebuilding that's going to have to take place next season. I'm not selling this season out because this team will compete... but this is the first season in the new conference and I feel it will be an uphill battle given the competition. I believe the senior year of this years sophomore class is going to be our next best chance at a deep post season run. Just my opinion. 

I believe you see a totally different THS team this week. #5 and #22 still get majority of touches but QB play improves. This kid works very hard and his 1st varsity game vs DB is tough task. Defense steps up with the DE #44 and #80 leading the way. Once #7 heels he will get back to form. This team has huge potential and will improve from week 1 to week 2.

THS 31-14

ET, if a radically different THS team does not show up this week then let me guarantee that South will hand you your lunch.     They may be down this year but you have to be able to do the basics to beat them, and by that I mean MAKE  A  __________ TACKLE,  pass and catch the ball, cover punts/kickoffs (and this includes not deliberately kicking it to a guy who you know will burn you)......    I'm still in amazement that last week THS kicked to DB's #7 EVERY time and he continued to roast them....   at least make him have to run a sprint to get to the ball, but no, the kicks were aimed directly into his open arms...    Maybe a THS fan can point out the logic in this, if so then I retract the last couple of sentences

ET, if a radically different THS team does not show up this week then let me guarantee that South will hand you your lunch.     They may be down this year but you have to be able to do the basics to beat them, and by that I mean MAKE  A  __________ TACKLE,  pass and catch the ball, cover punts/kickoffs (and this includes not deliberately kicking it to a guy who you know will burn you)......    I'm still in amazement that last week THS kicked to DB's #7 EVERY time and he continued to roast them....   at least make him have to run a sprint to get to the ball, but no, the kicks were aimed directly into his open arms...    Maybe a THS fan can point out the logic in this, if so then I retract the last couple of sentences

There's no logic to it. It's called coaches lack of attention to detail. Last year against Elizibethton we kicked it straight into the waiting arms of Ethan Thomas (arguably the best back in this region at any level), but someone was off sides and we had to kick it again. Once again we kicked it straight to Thomas and were lucky to get him down after about a 40 yard return. So I'm thinking we dodged another bullet and have learned what EVERY spectator in the stadium and beyond already knew, and that is DO NOT KICK THE  bleep BALL TO THOMAS!!! But guess what........... the very next kickoff we ONCE AGAIN kicked it straight to Thomas. This time he took it about 80 yards to the house!! SMH We barely lost a classic shootout with Betsy last year and you have to wonder if things would have been different had we not made that bone headed mistake. Well... I'm not even sure you can call it a mistake when you do it three times in a row!!  :huh: