William Blount @Heritage

Governm

Son you would argue with a fence post and that's why WB has the longest threads on the board. What happened in the 70's were the seeds or offspring of what goes on now. The same ole thing now as then. Getting kids out for football from Friendsville and Lanier areas are the very same except even worse now. Why do you think they had to put the two middle schools together to make one program. The county would be miles ahead if they went on and built a third high school at Carpenters and all three could play in an environment they would be able to compete in like Porter and Walland did in the 70's. Even Lanier had good teams in those days. It's a shame that a lot of people that are on here wasn't around back then to see how much better it was before combining all these schools into two. Especially Gov91.

Barney,

Alot has changed since then. I just looked at the population of Blount County in 1980 and there was 77,000 people living in the county at that time. As of 2010 there was over 123,000 people and I'm sure the population has grown significantly in the past 5 years. And alot of that population growth is happening on WB's side of town. WB had success when we had Meadows and after he left we fell off a cliff but now that Shad is here we are on the upswing again. And you keep criticizing the Middle Schools combining the football teams when they are 3-1 right now and their 1 loss was a 7-6 loss to Sevier Co. I guess Maryville and Alcoa are the only ones that should be allowed to have one strong feeder program. We wouldn't want another team challenging their monopoly on championships at the middle school level would we?

Barney,

Alot has changed since then. I just looked at the population of Blount County in 1980 and there was 77,000 people living in the county at that time. As of 2010 there was over 123,000 people and I'm sure the population has grown significantly in the past 5 years. And alot of that population growth is happening on WB's side of town. WB had success when we had Meadows and after he left we fell off a cliff but now that Shad is here we are on the upswing again. And you keep criticizing the Middle Schools combining the football teams when they are 3-1 right now and their 1 loss was a 7-6 loss to Sevier Co. I guess Maryville and Alcoa are the only ones that should be allowed to have one strong feeder program. We wouldn't want another team challenging their monopoly on championships at the middle school level would we?

Population numbers don't really tell the whole story for the county schools.

They lose a lot of kids off the top because athletics is just not an option

for them. At WB, several live closer to North Carolina than WB, and sports

is off the table. For HHS, the same thing happens because kids have to work

the farm or get a job to have any money at all. Therefore, the pool of kids to pick from is more on par with other schools that have about 2/3 the

number of students.

The county schools have some players that are every bit as good as the city school stars. The difference is their supporting cast, the fact that they

have to play both ways and the fact that they are totally worn out or

playing hurt for most of the season.

Barney,

Gov most people moving to Blount County are retired, not football players. The county is run by a retired fireman from the City of Maryville. Do you think Donald Trump would go and get a fireman to run one of his businesses, of course not. The county is a business not a house on fire. That's why it's in the mess it is, has been and will always be. Get that straightened out and then I bet you can solve the football problem very fast.

Gov most people moving to Blount County are retired, not football players. The county is run by a retired fireman from the City of Maryville. Do you think Donald Trump would go and get a fireman to run one of his businesses, of course not. The county is a business not a house on fire. That's why it's in the mess it is, has been and will always be. Get that straightened out and then I bet you can solve the football problem very fast.

The county might not be a house one fire but once or twice I thought it resemble a dumpster fire :) jk all you thinned skinned folks. I am proud to be a Blount Countian same as you so save the self righteous rants please.

The county might not be a house one fire but once or twice I thought it resemble a dumpster fire :) jk all you thinned skinned folks. I am proud to be a Blount Countian same as you so save the self righteous rants please.

Well, there is that big ballon payment that came due! But I digress... :blink:

Edited by SteersNBeers

Well, there is that big ballon payment that came due! But I digress... :blink

Sing it Dusty! I still haven't figured out exactly why they bought a racetrack to be a fairground, then figured out it was too polluted to be a fairground, so they sold it back for a racetrack....

Edited by ScottThePreacher