District 8AA 2015-2016

8AAwatcher

I've tried to stay away from this but since you appear to be the purveyor of truth let me correct, educate and enlighten you on a few things.

First thing 21 was on the floor at the end of every close game that was played last year that he didn't foul out of and this can be proven by video and possibly photos not just what I have to say. He only fouled out two or three times all season. A few on this topic may remember at Pickett county and Clay vs Jackson county both games just examples not the only ones. If I'm not mistaken he was on the floor when time ran out. Now for the district awards he was the defensive POY for 7A and 2nd or 3rd team all district as well as all region. Possibly the best ball he played last year was at the region tourney.

A little enlighten were talking about a 3 sport athlete that prior to this past summer has never participated in summer school basketball or spring school basketball as he was doing football in the summer and baseball in the spring. The first game he played at Celina last year was the 2nd game on the schedule against Van Buren at Clay no play dates or anything else last season.

Was he as good as he could be last year no. Will he get better yes. Are coaches calling and asking for transcripts yes. After the tournament in Atlanta this summer with team TCB the first two colleges to call were Princeton and Furman. That can be verified by the coach from TCB as they called him first.

Josh then played in the Rocky Top league in Knoxville.

Were we happy with the way basketball went at Clay county last year no. Now lets get in to why we left as a sophomore last year half of the classes he took were junior classes because he had already taken some of the sophomore classes as a freshman in NC.

In NC Josh took engineering classes in school as a freshman and wants to continue with engineering Upperman has an engineering program. The day we met at Clay and sat down with the Principal she told us Clay offered no advanced classes but we didn't realize he had already taken half of the offered sophomore classes. He is taking honors and AP classes at Upperman as well as dual enrollment to help get ready for college.

I know to some education coming first is hard to understand. Why on earth would you give up and possible return trip to the state tourney to get a better than required education. NCAA requirements have changed for all 2016 grads and beyond. 2017 grad MUST have completed 10 of there core requirements by the end of there junior year or they will not meet NCAA requirements and then have 16 completed by end of senior year. This also carries GPA and ACT requirements to go with it.

In a nut shell what I or anyone else on this forum thinks of his ability really doesn't matter. What college coaches think about his ability and up side is what will be important and make a difference.

I will not debate any of this as it is verifiable by last years game video or people other than me. You keep falling back to people saying he was this or that. We all know he wasn't point proven but I will keep my little JUCO talented (according to you shozen) athlete and we will see where he lands in the fall of 2017. I wish Clay county basketball all the best.

I understand he is your kid and understand that what I or anyone says on these boards will not change the fact of how he plays. The things I don't understand is this:

1) You said you talked to the principle of Clay "prior" and already knew they didn't offer AP or advanced classes. So since you wanted to make a big deal about how education is so important, why didn't you start him out at another school that fit your "education requirements" to begin with? I assume you talked to other schools in the area as knowing the area Clay just isn't somewhere you randomly land.

2) You make the out the NCAA requirements as something that is drastically new. The same 10 and 16 core course requirements will be sufficed by any school including Clay County as long as the kid has a desire to attend college. It's normal core classes like math, science, and English. So why even bring that up as it makes zero sense into what I was talking about? However I do applaud you for requiring education to be important as 99.9% of people take sports way to serious when most of the people never play sports outside of high school.

3) I never said he wouldn't make it in a college sport however he CLEARY doesn't play as a 6'8. Can he get better? Of course anyone can get better but stats are facts and the fact is as a 6'8 kid if he is as good as people say on coacht then he would be dominating the points and rebounds catagory especially playing in A/AA. In which even as a junior he isn't. This was my whole point from the beginning.

As stated before, I have zero to do with Clay but I do keep up with all of UC sports mainly basketball and enjoy watching them.

Edited by Shozen

I understand he is your kid and understand that what I or anyone says on these boards will not change the fact of how he plays. The things I don't understand is this:

1) You said you talked to the principle of Clay "prior" and already knew they didn't offer AP or advanced classes. So since you wanted to make a big deal about how education is so important, why didn't you start him out at another school that fit your "education requirements" to begin with? I assume you talked to other schools in the area as knowing the area Clay just isn't somewhere you randomly land.

2) You make the out the NCAA requirements as something that is drastically new. The same 10 and 16 core course requirements will be sufficed by any school including Clay County as long as the kid has a desire to attend college. It's normal core classes like math, science, and English. So why even bring that up as it makes zero sense into what I was talking about? However I do applaud you for requiring education to be important as 99.9% of people take sports way to serious when most of the people never play sports outside of high school.

3) I never said he wouldn't make it in a college sport however he CLEARY doesn't play as a 6'8. Can he get better? Of course anyone can get better but stats are facts and the fact is as a 6'8 kid if he is as good as people say on coacht then he would be dominating the points and rebounds catagory especially playing in A/AA. In which even as a junior he isn't. Which was my whole point from the beginning.

As stated before, I have zero to do with Clay but I do keep up with all of UC sports mainly basketball and enjoy watching them.

As I stated in my post we didn't know that he had completed half of the available sophomore classes his freshman year in NC until we received a class schedule and had to go to school and get it changed. The changes had to be made or he would have re-taken core classes he had already taken as a freshman.

No nothing drastically new just the changes from 2016 grad year on. With how many and when they must be completed.

I guess my big question is why is all of this of concern to you? How does what people say on a message board about any kid concern you? I've never said he was an allstar, allstate or anything like it. Again why is it a concern of yours if he is dominating anything??

Edited by UTRok

Thank you.

At his height alone and being left handed he should get drafted. Better chance at baseball. Hope he does really well in both sports.

Not many prospects only average 4 pts a game. And as far as baseball he was very average playing class A baseball he will get rocked in AA. Good batting practice pitcher. Basketball very average.

Not many prospects only average 4 pts a game. And as far as baseball he was very average playing class A baseball he will get rocked in AA. Good batting practice pitcher. Basketball very average.

You better take it back. People get butt hurt over calling someone average on the forums. This is the issue with todays generation. Everyone always tells them how great they are at a particular sport/singing until they get out into life and realize it's not all sunflowers and rainbows.

Edited by Shozen

true, everyone thinks Their kids is the real deal. But also hard to make a judgement on a 14/15 year old 6'8 kid who's height probably outgrew his agility thus far. And I know everyone knows this, but Jordan didn't even make his HS team as a Freshman. Let's see where he is at in March of next season and then judge him. The taller the kid, typically the later he developes. I seen Blevins and York in 2013 get drilled by Eldridge and LA. Wasn't even close, Eldridge was leaps and bounds better. 2 years later Blevins signed a d-1 scholarship to TTU and is by far the best player in the district.

This, when you are 6''8 at age 14-16 it's hard for your movement to keep up. Not saying he will be D1 talent but if he works hard he could be a force.