Rockwood v Grace ejection

vawls54

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why this needs shut down. We're not supposed to be talking about individual players on this site. This can only go downhill.

I agree shut it down. If trash talking got you ejected when I played I would have never finished a game. The penalty looks cheap to me he got up and gave the ball to the ref.

Kind of ticky-tack, but the fact that it was his 2nd unsportsmanlike gains him 0 sympathy from me. Once you get one, common sense would dictate that you would be good little ball player, so you DON'T risk picking up a 2nd. If you don't act like a jack wagon, chances are you will never ever get an unsportsmanlike called on you in the first place.

And yes, I think some of the things that have become unsportsmanlike penalties in the past decade are silly. But the fact of the matter is that WE as a society have made it to where it has to be that way.

Being a TSSAA baseball umpire I have never seen anybody even attempt to call a game one sided or "get paid off". Has it happened, perhaps but C'mon really? And you are put into zone it is not like you can pick where you want to go. Im pretty sure those Officials are making $95 or $100 dollars each HS varsity game, unless it has went up since last yr. So 99% of these guys do it because they purely love the game. And yes they make tons of mistakes but dont they make alot more good than bad and anytime you say an offcial cost you a game then you probably didn't deserve to win that game. Ive been on both ends and its tough either way but those guys DO try to be as right as possible. The fact of the matter is that its HS football and mistakes happen. No way around that. And appealing the ejection and the following 1 game suspension is futile almost every time even if they present a strong case.

The Grace AD and HC can get over because I was at a playoff game where the visiting band would start a song as soon as the home team broke the huddle. EVERY PLAY. SAME SONG. ALL NIGHT. Nothing was ever said to that teams band and like I said, they were the visitors. It's terrible sportsmanship but apparently no rule against it

Rockwood has done this for yrs.A real good friend of mine Allen was over the band for a while and they just laugh about it when the opposing coaches get mad.No rules against it but terrible sportsmanship if you ask me,especially in high school.Oh and good luck with the appeal,we had an ejection against GCA in 08 and their HC called the TSSAA on our behalf(also had video)and they still didnt over rule!They DO NOT like to rule against their officials. Edited by orngnblk

I think a team may get some home cooking from time to time but to say refs were paid to eject a player is a stretch. Thats one of our problems in society, people try to console or take up for the guilty party, until kids learn accountability or pay the price for errors they never learn. Rockwood  will have a much harder time winning this week and a whole team is gonna pay the price. The kid needs to man up and see the position he put the team in. Its really just that simple.

I think a team may get some home cooking from time to time but to say refs were paid to eject a player is a stretch. Thats one of our problems in society, people try to console or take up for the guilty party, until kids learn accountability or pay the price for errors they never learn. Rockwood will have a much harder time winning this week and a whole team is gonna pay the price. The kid needs to man up and see the position he put the team in. Its really just that simple.

10-4!

This is a sensitive topic with good points on both sides.

The fact is this, TSSAA will NEVER overturn a game or an ejection. I have seen kids get ejected and they were simply retaliating to another kid. TSAAA had no interest even when we had game film. Best Rockwood can hope for is that the kid doesn't miss the next game, but I'm betting he will. To allow him to play would be to admit a mistake in ejecting him to begin with.

As far as refs, I am noticing they are getting worse and worse at every level, every sport. Part of it is that we have instant replay all over the place and digital quality at home to review stuff. We also have humans in these roles, which introduces accidental error, as well as the occasional zebra ego which we have all experienced.

It sucks that this happened, but it will be forgotten in a few weeks. That's the truth.

I remember in 2013 we were climbing back into a road playoff game with Adamsville in the 2nd Q. it was Adamsville 13, Forrest- 7. Our safety made an unbelievable play on a long pass. tipped it away and of course here came the flag. 35 yard penalty, Adamsville scored, 20-7 at half. Totally changed the game. Worst call I've seen at any level in 38 years of watching football. But I hate blaming refs. A team should win decisively enough that the zebras can't ruin a game either way. BUT, sometimes they can. At ALL levels.

Let's try to move on, there's a lot of season left for everybody to get their shot.

The fact is this, TSSAA will NEVER overturn a game or an ejection. I have seen kids get ejected and they were simply retaliating to another kid. TSAAA had no interest even when we had game film. Best Rockwood can hope for is that the kid doesn't miss the next game, but I'm betting he will. To allow him to play would be to admit a mistake in ejecting him to begin with.

As far as refs, I am noticing they are getting worse and worse at every level, every sport. Part of it is that we have instant replay all over the place and digital quality at home to review stuff. We also have humans in these roles, which introduces accidental error, as well as the occasional zebra ego which we have all experienced.

It sucks that this happened, but it will be forgotten in a few weeks. That's the truth.

I remember in 2013 we were climbing back into a road playoff game with Adamsville in the 2nd Q. it was Adamsville 13, Forrest- 7. Our safety made an unbelievable play on a long pass. tipped it away and of course here came the flag. 35 yard penalty, Adamsville scored, 20-7 at half. Totally changed the game. Worst call I've seen at any level in 38 years of watching football. But I hate blaming refs. A team should win decisively enough that the zebras can't ruin a game either way. BUT, sometimes they can. At ALL levels.

Let's try to move on, there's a lot of season left for everybody to get their shot.

Doubt it was a 35 yard penalty.  Our Bulldogs had a heck of a deal the other night, I think it was a little home cooking to go along with incompetence . Just glad our kids kept they're heads on straight and fought through it.

I do feel like this will linger because of how big the game was. Yes, Rockwood lost the game. I will not make any excuses on that front. The score cannot be changed. Would it have been a different game if Jones was still in? Possibly, but you can't speak in hypotheticals. The game is over. The problem is that the call was a bad one, and hopefully there can be some common ground found here. A referee's mistake in the last game shouldn't hamper future weeks. Yes, Jones earned an unsportsmanlike earlier in the game and deserved it, but these comments that Jones "shouldn't have risked it" are hilarious. Risked clapping? Risked celebrating a touchdown in the biggest game of the year? A Grace lineman lifted his QB in the air after the TD in OT, so why wasn't that unsportsmanlike? We expect these kids to be robots on the field, but that's not human nature. 

Jones served his punishment by watching his team lose to Grace and perhaps a region championship. The comment by the head of officials that there were "past issues" also make it feel like they were eyeing him the entire time. A player's past issues should never affect a current game. I know unfortunately that sometimes it does. 

Yeah, the kid screwed up the first time and got a deserved penalty, but don't punish him for something that barely any other kid would get penalized for.

I do feel like this will linger because of how big the game was. Yes, Rockwood lost the game. I will not make any excuses on that front. The score cannot be changed. Would it have been a different game if Jones was still in? Possibly, but you can't speak in hypotheticals. The game is over. The problem is that the call was a bad one, and hopefully there can be some common ground found here. A referee's mistake in the last game shouldn't hamper future weeks. Yes, Jones earned an unsportsmanlike earlier in the game and deserved it, but these comments that Jones "shouldn't have risked it" are hilarious. Risked clapping? Risked celebrating a touchdown in the biggest game of the year? A Grace lineman lifted his QB in the air after the TD in OT, so why wasn't that unsportsmanlike? We expect these kids to be robots on the field, but that's not human nature. 

Jones served his punishment by watching his team lose to Grace and perhaps a region championship. The comment by the head of officials that there were "past issues" also make it feel like they were eyeing him the entire time. A player's past issues should never affect a current game. I know unfortunately that sometimes it does. 

Yeah, the kid screwed up the first time and got a deserved penalty, but don't punish him for something that barely any other kid would get penalized for.

Very valid points.