The Original Battle Of The Boro Oakland Riverdale

warrior82dad

Agreed, they each have their own middle schools where Riverdale splits Buchanan and Christiana which teach two completely different systems but your 100 difference does hold water because within that difference is a number having Blackman with 300 more males than Riverdale....good for boys who want to date but bad for football.

Then with that argument, Riverdale girls sports should be much stronger than Blackman...so what is the deal with Girls basketball?  Granted girls typically don't play football, but is the root cause then a zoning issue or is it a genetic phenom?  I think there is an ebb and flow to nearly all sports teams and schools. The true problem was mentioned previously with feeder schools. But keep in mind you also get a fair amount of Rockvale students as well. Feeder programs are a crucial key, but not nearly as important as the weight training and conditioning programs that Oakland and Blackman both have in place that Riverdale does not. When your average athlete is better conditioned and stronger than t\your star player, you create a depth problem that athleticism cannot make up on it own. I don't have the warm and fuzzies about this game, but I dang sure hope Riverdale wins. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then with that argument, Riverdale girls sports should be much stronger than Blackman...so what is the deal with Girls basketball?  Granted girls typically don't play football, but is the root cause then a zoning issue or is it a genetic phenom?  I think there is an ebb and flow to nearly all sports teams and schools. The true problem was mentioned previously with feeder schools. But keep in mind you also get a fair amount of Rockvale students as well. Feeder programs are a crucial key, but not nearly as important as the weight training and conditioning programs that Oakland and Blackman both have in place that Riverdale does not. When your average athlete is better conditioned and stronger than t\your star player, you create a depth problem that athleticism cannot make up on it own. I don't have the warm and fuzzies about this game, but I dang sure hope Riverdale wins.

Excuse me? Stronger girls? Gold balls in basketball 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013....just where do you see Blackman stronger?

Edited by warrior82dad

Excuse me? Stronger girls? Gold balls in basketball 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013....just where do you see Blackman stronger?

I guess it would start with the last two yeas state championship and end it with National Champions,,, that about sums that up...unless you want to talk about the girls team throwing a game or trying to in order to not play us?... Your argument is that you have more girls than boys by 300? Then why exactly were you not the better team?  Stands to reason if you have more girls than boys vs the makeup at Blackman you would be stronger in girl sports than Blackman,and the last two years don't reflect that. 

You seem to like numbers so here is something to crunch on. The difference as you stated is 300 students. To even that out, it would be 150 more male students  correct?  But lets be reasonable in our thinking here. There are 4 grades  to split that over and for number sake that means you have 37.5 more males per grade. Most of us would say that the probability of a freshman being a big contributor is not likely(Jerry Young last year was a help but not the big contributor) That means you are now dealing with 112.5  boys total. Based on your current participation rate. (Number of students divided by total on roster)   You would be able  add 3-4 more players to the team. Your argument is not really valid.  What is valid, is that your participation is down, you are not focusing on strength and conditioning programs, you don't have really good feeder programs in place and the once great powerhouse name is not carrying the same allure it once had.. I am not saying it is a coaches fault, but it is something he/they can work towards fixing

Edited by Blaze45

I guess it would start with the last two yeas state championship and end it with National Champions,,, that about sums that up...unless you want to talk about the girls team throwing a game or trying to in order to not play us?... Your argument is that you have more girls than boys by 300? Then why exactly were you not the better team?  Stands to reason if you have more girls than boys vs the makeup at Blackman you would be stronger in girl sports than Blackman,and the last two years don't reflect that. 

You seem to like numbers so here is something to crunch on. The difference as you stated is 300 students. To even that out, it would be 150 more male students  correct?  But lets be reasonable in our thinking here. There are 4 grades  to split that over and for number sake that means you have 37.5 more males per grade. Most of us would say that the probability of a freshman being a big contributor is not likely(Jerry Young last year was a help but not the big contributor) That means you are now dealing with 112.5  boys total. Based on your current participation rate. (Number of students divided by total on roster)   You would be able  add 3-4 more players to the team. Your argument is not really valid.  What is valid, is that your participation is down, you are not focusing on strength and conditioning programs, you don't have really good feeder programs in place and the once great powerhouse name is not carrying the same allure it once had.. I am not saying it is a coaches fault, but it is something he/they can work towards fixing

When you win 2 more and get caught up let us know...and oh by the way, how many state championships do you have in football?? 2 years a legacy doesn't make...

Edited by warrior82dad

When you win 2 more and get caught us know...and oh by the way, how many state championships do you have in football?? 2 years a legacy doesn't make...

When our school has been around for 28 more years I am sure we will. How many National Championships did you say you won...none-? oh ok... By the way,how many of those state football championships were in the last decade ...Oh yeah- none!  Before you lecture me on football and tradition, I learned a little about that already growing up in a little west Texas town called Odessa... Maybe you have heard about our little ole team out there  Permian Panthers...We had a little success out there too. Just sayin.... what we did 27 years ago means nothing today, or to the team we are facing on Friday.  You brought up the lame excuse that you were down because you have more girls than boys and it all stems from zoning from 15 years ago. Face it the kids playing ball right now weren't even in school when that happened By the way I could just as easily say we should have won at least 1 or 2 state championships because we got hosed when they opened Stewarts creek ... WEAK... WEAK WEAK  Take ownership of the issues if you want it fixed, but for heavens sake stop blaming everyone else for what your program has not addressed. 

Edited by Blaze45

When our school has been around for 28 more years I am sure we will. How many National Championships did you say you won...none-? oh ok... By the way,how many of those state football championships were in the last decade ...Oh yeah- none!  Before you lecture me on football and tradition, I learned a little about that already growing up in a little west Texas town called Odessa... Maybe you have heard about our little ole team out there  Permian Panthers...We had a little success out there too. Just sayin.... what we did 27 years ago means nothing today, or to the team we are facing on Friday.  You brought up the lame excuse that you were down because you have more girls than boys and it all stems from zoning from 15 years ago. Face it the kids playing ball right now weren't even in school when that happened By the way I could just as easily say we should have won at least 1 or 2 state championships because we got hosed when they opened Stewarts creek ... WEAK... WEAK WEAK  Take ownership of the issues if you want it fixed, but for heavens sake stop blaming everyone else for what your program has not addressed.

Everyone knows that in this county things go in cycles. One teams up one teams down and with the county constantly sticking their noses in messing things up its going to take some time to level out. For example, what schools have the new shiny football facilities? Not Riverdale! The have been treated like the redheaded step child for over 7 years now. As the natural growth takes place and the changes are made " in the coaching staff which is coming" the playing fields will be leveled for all county teams...

Everyone knows that in this county things go in cycles. One teams up one teams down and with the county constantly sticking their noses in messing things up its going to take some time to level out. For example, what schools have the new shiny football facilities? Not Riverdale! The have been treated like the redheaded step child for over 7 years now. As the natural growth takes place and the changes are made " in the coaching staff which is coming" the playing fields will be leveled for all county teams...

Now you are on the right track!!!