Springfield at Macon County

LEON

Remember this game Springfield was 6-1 and then lost their last three to Henry Co. Portland and Macon County. The Portland loss was on a Hail Mary pass late in the game and the Macon loss knocked the Jackets out of the play-offs.

I could be mistaken but wasnt that the year Coach Jones declined the invitation to the playoffs because he felt they didnt deserve it. They also beat a good WH team that year that had that beast of a RB "Taylor" I think. Anyway, I thought they actually qualified for the playoffs but declined, could be wrong.....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be mistaken but wasnt that the year Coach Jones declined the invitation to the playoffs because he felt they didnt deserve it. They also beat a good WH team that year that had that beast of a RB "Taylor" I think. Anyway, I thought they actually qualified for the playoffs but declined, could be wrong.....

yes WH had Taylor. Before Taylor WH had a great rb named Harris. But I beleave the best tandum I ever seen in one backfield from all the teams mentioned was Portlands backfield. Anyone remember the Boren rb kid from MC?

I think that's went Portland had one of the best backfields ever in TN hs, Braxton and Banks. Ok Springfield folks, remember the 1988 brawl with MC that put both teams on probation?

Springfield defeated Macon 41-0 in 1988 , no brawl with Springfield ever that I recall , Jackets went to second round of play-offs that year. Al Braxton caught the 68 yd pass from Jason Banks in the final seconds for Portland that beat the Jackets in 1990.

Only two teams qualified for the play-offs at that time. The Jackets had enough wins for a bowl game but Coach Jones declined , the next year 1991 Springfield finished 12-2 falling to Brentwood Academy in the State Semifinals.

It was Robert West but I am pretty sure he went to TSU, help me out Leon, I am not 100% sure on that.....lol

Robert West did not play football , he went to Tenn. Tech , outstanding player who could fill it up . The QB for the Jackets in 1990 was Carlos Cook a junior at that time, was also QB his senior year (12-2). West's uncle Lonnie played basketball at APSU in the early 80's , he to could fill it up. Man I'm rambling but I can't remember to pick up bread at the store. Edited by LEON

Only two teams qualified for the play-offs at that time. The Jackets had enough wins for a bowl game but Coach Jones declined , the next year 1991 Springfield finished 12-2 falling to Brentwood Academy in the State Semifinals.

Okay that is what I got mixed up about then, I knew West was a basketball player (not football), just thought he went to TSU for some reason, that was a little before my time though, thanx for clearing it up.....

Looking forward to the game Friday it's supposed to be clear cool night for football , unlike the last three Fridays . I like watching a game at Macon County , your right on top of the action. My first time there was the 1975 Industrial Bowl where the Jackets defeated Antioch 13-7. Jimbo Pearson was the Coach , little did we know it was his last game, the following spring he died of a heart attack at a young age , outstanding coach and person a legacy Jacket player and coach. I was hoping to hear from some Macon County fans , I know their sophomore QB Seth Carlisle is an outstanding player.

Edited by LEON