Forrest vs Marion County

Southtowner

After a lot of debate and probably against my doctor's wishes, I attended the game Friday.

1) I am SO PROUD of the Rockets. They never quit. They showed tremendous heart and dignity in defeat. This group of seniors was on their 3rd coach at the beginning of their junior year. All they did was go undefeated in the Region and bring home a Region 4 Title. I love these kids and this staff. Period. We have a terrific group of juniors moving up, and these seniors will be heralded in Chapel Hill for the rest of their lives.

2) You Region 3 folks have delivered on the field. Consider me convinced. Forrest is a very good team. Marion Co is a GREAT team. Bass- you were right. I’d like my crow fried please.

3) After all the chatter about Oregon style, what I saw was a team that does put some receivers out, but basically runs the same Wing T that we do. Not exactly the same, but close. They never had to throw it because we never stopped their run all night. #11 and #21 just kept coming. Forrest got in 3rd down situations where if we get a stop, maybe Marion punts, but even on 4th Marion just trusted their line and backs and Forrest never got their D off the field. I think on two 4th downs I'm remembering, Marion backs got 6-8 yards and made it look effortless.

4) The best at anything make it look easy. I think what stood out to me was the consistency for 4 quarters, the calm demeanor with which Marion does what they do, and the absolute multitude of talented kids everywhere on the field. I saw no weaknesses. It was remarkable.

5) A team can only avoid kicking it to #21 for so long. Some idiot posted "when will people learn" and my response to that is when you have to punt 500 times in a game this kid is gonna break one on you sooner or later. #21's ability to stop on a dime and make kids miss was unreal.

6) As a football fan (I hated what they were doing to my team, but) it was a joy to watch a team- the Warriors- play the game at such a high level.

7) Forrest did NOT quit. Coaches did everything they good to stay in it. When we did the onside and scored 2-3 plays later, making it 17-10 Marion in the 3rd, Marion fans got awful quiet, and Forrest fans did a nice job supporting their kids. Too bad that momentum was short lived.

8) Marion fans, coaches and kids. Listen I LOVE to push people's buttons and we certainly had our fun on here this playoffs, but what I observed was a class program from top to bottom in Marion Co. Their kids will hit you hard then help you up afterwards. Their coaches took their foot off the gas late when they probably could have named their score, and believe me, it KILLS me to admit that. Their fans and families approached our mourning folks (players and families) on the field, and said encouraging words to our kids. I'd like to think it was because they saw that Forrest was a gutty group of talented kids. Whatever the reason, it was appreciated. Marion's team is better that ours, and their program is ahead of ours. Not only did they beat us on the field, but they acted with the grace and dignity of a championship program before, during and after the game was over.

9) I sincerely hope Marion wins gold. I have selfish reasons. If we can be region champs and say we got beat by the team that won it all, I can handle that. It was a great lesson for our program. We will be back I can promise you that. Juniors are already talking about next year.

10) What a crazy night. Union City, Adamsville, and Boyd all go down. I hope those whose teams were eliminated and kids graduated will still post. We can never lose the love for our programs. It's bigger than any one kid.

11) I'll still post on other threads, but it will be minimal. Again, good luck to Marion County this week against Tyner. It will be a tough task, as Tyner looks to be peaking, but we might have just witnessed the next state champion Fri in Chapel Hill, and they were dressed in white and purple.

Thanks for all the banter everyone.

Edited by Amerigha

After a lot of debate and probably against my doctors wishes, I attended the game Friday.

1) I am SO PROUD of the Rockets. They never quit. They showed tremendous heart and dignity in defeat. This group of seniors was on their 3rd coach at the beginning of their junior year. All they did was go undefeated in the Region and bring home a Region 4 Title. I love this kids and this staff. Period. We have a terrific group of juniors moving up, and these seniors will be heralded in Chapel Hill for the rest of their lives.

2) You Region 3 folks have delivered on the field. Consider me convinced. Forrest is a very good team. Marion co is a GREAT team. Bass- you were right. I’d like my crow fried please.

3) After all the chatter about Oregon style, what I saw was a team that does put some receivers out, but basically runs the same Wing T that we do. Not exactly the same, but close. They never had to throw it because we never stopped their run all night. #11 and #21 just kept coming. Forrest got in 3rd down situations where if we get a stop, maybe Marion punts, but even on 4th Marion just trusted their line and backs and Forrest never got their D off the field. I think on two 4th downs I'm remembering, Marion backs got 6-8 yards and made it look effortless.

4) The best at anything make it look easy. I think what stood out to me was the consistency for 4 quarters, the calm demeanor with which Marion does what they do, and the absolute multitude of talented kids everywhere on the field. I saw no weaknesses. It was remarkable.

5) A team can only avoid kicking it to #21 for so long. Some idiot posted "when will people learn" and my response to that is when you have to punt 500 times in a game this kid is gonna break one you sooner or later. #21's ability to stop on a dime and make kids miss was unreal.

6) As a football fan (I hated what they were doing to my team, but) it was a joy to watch a team- the Warriors- play the game at such a high level.

7) Forrest did NOT quit. Coaches did everything they good to stay in it. When we did the onside and scored 2-3 plays later, making 17-10 Marion in the 3rd, Marion fans got awful quiet, and Forrest fans did a nice job supporting their kids. Too bad that momentum was short lived.

8) Marion fans, coaches and kids. Listen I LOVE to push people's buttons and we certainly had our fun on here this playoffs, but what I observed was a class program from top to bottom. Their kids will hit you hard then help you up afterwards. Their coaches took their foot off the gas late when they probably could have named their score, and believe me, it KILLS me to admit that. Their fans and families approached our mourning folks (players and families) on the field, and said encouraging words. I'd like to think it was because they saw that Forrest was a gutty group of talented kids. Whatever the reason, it was appreciated. Marion's team is better that ours, and their program is ahead of ours. Not only did they beat us on the field, but they acted with the grace and dignity of a championship program before, during and after the game was over.

9) I sincerely hope Marion wins gold. I have selfish reasons. If we can be region champs and say we got beat by the team that won it all, I can handle that. It was a great lesson for our program. We will be back I can promise you that. Juniors are already talking about next year.

10) What a crazy night. Union City, Adamsville, and Boyd all go down. I hope those whose teams were eliminated and kids graduated will still post. We can never lose the love for our programs. It's bigger than any one kid.

11) I'll still post on other threads, but it will be minimal. Again, good luck to Marion County this week against Tyner. It will be a tough task, as Tyner looks to be peaking, but we might have just witnessed the next state champion Fri in Chapel Hill, and they were dressed in white and purple.

Great post!!

After a lot of debate and probably against my doctor's wishes, I attended the game Friday.

1) I am SO PROUD of the Rockets. They never quit. They showed tremendous heart and dignity in defeat. This group of seniors was on their 3rd coach at the beginning of their junior year. All they did was go undefeated in the Region and bring home a Region 4 Title. I love these kids and this staff. Period. We have a terrific group of juniors moving up, and these seniors will be heralded in Chapel Hill for the rest of their lives.

2) You Region 3 folks have delivered on the field. Consider me convinced. Forrest is a very good team. Marion Co is a GREAT team. Bass- you were right. I’d like my crow fried please.

5) A team can only avoid kicking it to #21 for so long. Some idiot posted "when will people learn" and my response to that is when you have to punt 500 times in a game this kid is gonna break one on you sooner or later. #21's ability to stop on a dime and make kids miss was unreal.

7) Forrest did NOT quit. Coaches did everything they good to stay in it. When we did the onside and scored 2-3 plays later, making it 17-10 Marion in the 3rd, Marion fans got awful quiet, and Forrest fans did a nice job supporting their kids. Too bad that momentum was short lived.

8) Marion fans, coaches and kids. Listen I LOVE to push people's buttons and we certainly had our fun on here this playoffs, but what I observed was a class program from top to bottom in Marion Co. Their kids will hit you hard then help you up afterwards. Their coaches took their foot off the gas late when they probably could have named their score, and believe me, it KILLS me to admit that. Their fans and families approached our mourning folks (players and families) on the field, and said encouraging words to our kids. I'd like to think it was because they saw that Forrest was a gutty group of talented kids. Whatever the reason, it was appreciated. Marion's team is better that ours, and their program is ahead of ours. Not only did they beat us on the field, but they acted with the grace and dignity of a championship program before, during and after the game was over.

Thank you and yes that was a great post +1000

Great post. Forrest had a good year, nothing to hang their heads about. We enjoyed the trip up and were treated with class while we were there. Someone has to lose and i am sure this loss will drive forrest the way it did marion getting throttled in the title game last year. I look forward to you guys maybe coming down to jasper next year for a visit in the playoffs. Tell me, did you say that you watched mc play in the title game last year? What was different about this mc team that makes them better? Obviously we think they are, but from an opposing fans perspective? How many starters does forrest have coming back next year?