5A Early State Title Game Predictions

HCBigRed

I agree about the west. Independence is the obvious favorite, but any team can be beaten on any given night. I'm still pulling for my Henry County Patriots. Don't count us out. We have somewhat of a passing game now. This will keep other defenses guessing and make our rushing game more effective. Our main challenge will be the pass defense.

Edited by redblooded

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try to spice this up with a little analysis, at least for regions 5-8...

Hendersonville @ Indy - Commandos are always dangerous in November, and won't be intimidated.  Indy is the favorite to win 5A this year, and is probably one of the best teams in the state regardless of classification.  I've seen good defenses look lost against the option attack, though.. Hendersonville is built to grind out games, and if Indy struggles early the Commandos pick up the slack and run with it. Not a game to take lightly, but if Indy puts the same type of whipping on Hendersonville as they delivered to Cane Ridge I think that says a lot for this discussion come Saturday. 

Beech @ Hillsboro - Two good banged up teams beating up on each other. Hard to know what the winner of this dogfight will have left in the tank, but I still wouldn't want to face either team in the quarterfinals. I think Hillsboro would pose more of a threat to Indy just by virtue of athleticism, but Beech has a quality football team that won't shy away from a big game. 

Brentwood @ Centennial - Brentwood played Centennial much closer than expected in week 8, then lost at Henry County on the final drive in a game where they were just as physical as HC. Thumped Clarksville, then destroyed Memphis Central last week 52-7. Centennial jumped out to an early lead on Henry County in week 11 at home, then held off a 3 TD rally in the 4th to win 28-20.  Southwind gave them all they wanted, but Southwind was a really underrated team.  Brentwood seems to be improving every week.  Could they pull the shocker?

Clarksville Northeast @ Henry County - Henry County beat NE in the 3rd game of the season 43-0, but NE has won 4 out of their last 5, including the upset at previously 9-1 Brighton last week.  Henry County's offense seems to be evolving by quarter, but it's far from a polished product. Northeast has a history of always peaking at the right time.  Hard to not see HC winning, but I doubt it will be such a blowout this time around.

Not gonna make predictions.  Indy is the clear favorite in 5A, and I don't know enough about East Tennessee to speak with too much confidence.  Weird things happen in the playoffs.  Just thought I'd throw out a few views on some of this week's games.  

Edited by RedSwarm