McNairy

mcnairy

It's not that the coach they hired is bad. I don't know him. The problem is that the good ole boy network is maintaining the status quo. The process was clearly skewed to hire this guy. There is no way you can tell me that they didn't get any resumes from other coaches that were better than a guy already on staff that WASNT even coaching football. It's got nothing to do with supporting the coach. You have to support him now for the kids sake. The process by which he was GIVEN the job...is a problem. McNairy has a leadership issue...that's obvious to even me...an outsider

Well said and from an outsider! I am in mcnairy co and keep being appalled at our ineptness of leaders. This doesn't look good from the get go and they MCHS claimed 35-40 applicants applied.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The future of McNairy Central is going to be better. While Brian Franks is not associated with football as much as he is baseball, he does excel in talking to players. A big key to having a good team is having all the athletes in the school on the team. Brian will do well in that area.

There is little doubt there will be some new coaches coming in to help Franks. He knows that he is going to need to help with good coaches. A fresh start with the staff is going to be a plus.

He is our coach and I hope he does well. Good days are ahead for Bobcats football.

He excels at getting close to people who have something he wants...(parents w good athletic kids, board members with hiring powers and $ power, boosters with $)

Coach Browder did a stint as head coach of Aville before coming to mcnairy.

I was referring to AHS graduates. I'm fairly certain Browder went to school in Selmer (maybe Central, I'm not sure about his age).  AHS just gave him his first opportunity. 

I know you're an AHS fan.  Why do you dislike someone else from Adamsville so much (assuming you're from A'ville originally)?  Franks tried everything in the world to get hired at Adamsville full-time for almost a decade.  He was on the football staff for a pretty good while.  He is the one who began the Bethel-to-Adamsville pipeline that AHS has benefited from over the last 12+ years.  Politics and influential people in A'ville prevented him from ever getting a permanent job at AHS.  Central finally gave him a shot after almost a decade of service.  If he's good at greasing the wheels, he sure went about it in a strange and hard way. 

Edited by 1RT

He excels at getting close to people who have something he wants...(parents w good athletic kids, board members with hiring powers and $ power, boosters with $)

I have to ask - is that a bad thing? You could be describing Nick Saban, Hugh Freeze, Butch Jones, or Brandon Gray.  What successful coach does not excel at exactly those things?

I (and Franks for that matter) was around during the initial phase of fundraising for AHS' new fieldhouse. It took more than BBQ, gold cards, and golf to build that sucker.  Coach Gray had to do a lot of talking and handshaking to get it built.  No one runs him down about it. Funding a football program in a poor, rural county is hard.  It was a big accomplishment.

I really don't mean to pick on you, I'm just trying to wrap my mind around the spin coming from A'ville.  It's one thing to not like McNairy Central, its another thing to attack a guy from Adamsville that was a part of the program for as long as Franks was. 

Edited by 1RT

I have to ask - is that a bad thing? You could be describing Nick Saban, Hugh Freeze, Butch Jones, or Brandon Gray.  What successful coach does not excel at exactly those things?

I (and Franks for that matter) was around during the initial phase of fundraising for AHS' new fieldhouse. It took more than BBQ, gold cards, and golf to build that sucker.  Coach Gray had to do a lot of talking and handshaking to get it built.  No one runs him down about it. Funding a football program in a poor, rural county is hard.  It was a big accomplishment.

I really don't mean to pick on you, I'm just trying to wrap my mind around the spin coming from A'ville.  It's one thing to not like McNairy Central, its another thing to attack a guy from Adamsville that was a part of the program for as long as Franks was. 

Wow, we had the names Nick Saban, Hugh Freeze, Butch Jones brought up in the McNairy thread.  Maybe they were one of the 35-40 to apply, but didn't fit what the administration was "looking for".

I have to ask - is that a bad thing? You could be describing Nick Saban, Hugh Freeze, Butch Jones, or Brandon Gray. What successful coach does not excel at exactly those things?

I (and Franks for that matter) was around during the initial phase of fundraising for AHS' new fieldhouse. It took more than BBQ, gold cards, and golf to build that sucker. Coach Gray had to do a lot of talking and handshaking to get it built. No one runs him down about it. Funding a football program in a poor, rural county is hard. It was a big accomplishment.

I really don't mean to pick on you, I'm just trying to wrap my mind around the spin coming from A'ville. It's one thing to not like McNairy Central, its another thing to attack a guy from Adamsville that was a part of the program for as long as Franks was.

Don't take what I said the wrong way. I know he is the type that will excel at whatever he does. Yes I am an Aville fan but I don't dislike mcnairy. I know it takes lots of $ to be successful. the part that is upsetting to me is the manner in which he was hired. Is it a good hire? Yes. Did it look good to outsiders how it was handled: no. Just like the gentleman getting the maintenance supervisors job when he just resigned from the board of Ed. It just doesn't look good. He has done a good job but the circumstances around the hire were fishy. Looks like we hire our friends and not follow the proper protocol. For a long time in this county (some are still in power) we promoted the dirtiest rotten scoundrels to leadership positions. (This has nothing to do with the hire at hand and Franks pls don't think it does). People who lived like hellions with no moral compass were principals and coaches with people and kids under them. The whole chain of command became less effective because no one aspired to be better than them. Anyway, that's the problem I have is that it doesn't look good and good ole boys system did it. If he wanted it I guess he could have resigned from ad job and let people know he was serious about it. Idk if that would have mattered didn't to me in the Maintenance case. He will do fine or should. Will def. be a challenge.

Don't take what I said the wrong way. I know he is the type that will excel at whatever he does. Yes I am an Aville fan but I don't dislike mcnairy. I know it takes lots of $ to be successful. the part that is upsetting to me is the manner in which he was hired. Is it a good hire? Yes. Did it look good to outsiders how it was handled: no. Just like the gentleman getting the maintenance supervisors job when he just resigned from the board of Ed. It just doesn't look good. He has done a good job but the circumstances around the hire were fishy. Looks like we hire our friends and not follow the proper protocol. For a long time in this county (some are still in power) we promoted the dirtiest rotten scoundrels to leadership positions. (This has nothing to do with the hire at hand and Franks pls don't think it does). People who lived like hellions with no moral compass were principals and coaches with people and kids under them. The whole chain of command became less effective because no one aspired to be better than them. Anyway, that's the problem I have is that it doesn't look good and good ole boys system did it. If he wanted it I guess he could have resigned from ad job and let people know he was serious about it. Idk if that would have mattered didn't to me in the Maintenance case. He will do fine or should. Will def. be a challenge.

Okay.  I understand that, and completely agree with the institutional criticisms. The process stinks.  There is a problem when everyone in the county assumes from the get-go that the AD will essentially recommend himself. 

I also agree that it is a county-level problem.  Since at least the 1980s, but especially over the last 15-20 years, there has been a series of questionable administrative and athletic hires at both schools conducted under very fishy circumstances. It has usually involved connected alumni, but also various superintendents and board members' friends and relatives.

I only said something on this thread at all because I felt like the posts were beginning to attack Coach Franks personally, which I didn't understand given his professional record and past service with AHS.  

I think Coach Franks is the best decision Central has made about its football program in several years.  Since the county is open-zoned and Adamsville is doing so well attracting players from the western and southern parts of the county, Central needs a local coach who understands the county,  and is willing to stick it out for the long haul.  Because of the way they handled Browder's exit in '08 and subsequent hiring processes, Franks is really the only viable option remaining for them.  Its unfortunate that he was hired in murky circumstances, but as other coaches in McNairy County have proven over the years, winning will wipe away lot of memories.

Edited by 1RT

Coach Browder left MCHS because he retired in Tennessee and got a better paying job in Mississippi. Franks does not have the authority to hire and fire anyone at the school. The hiring of coaches and teachers are made by the principal with approval from the director of schools.

9oldschool5, you are a rare person that is an AHS fan that does not dislike person. What does McNairy County care what other people think of the way that Franks was hired?  You criticize the hiring of Larry Smith, but then say he is doing a good job.

The dirtiest rotten scoundrels are at least the best at what they do as scoundrels. I think our principals might be a bit offended by your definition. The last three principals hired - Wayne Henry, Pam Simon, and Sondra Jackson are all good people. The good thing is none of the three has probably ever been on CoachT to read they are bad people.

Not trying to stab you guys in the hearts or anything like that but I do have a problem with you guys saying all the A'Ville/McNairy stuff. Are y'all rivalries? Absolutely. Do y'all play each other in football? Not that I'm aware of. Are y'all in the same classification as Milan and South Gibson County are in? No. I know I'm going to take heat for this but I feel like McNairy should be worrying about their district other than a school few miles down the road. That's my $.02 cents so I'll keep moving on. Got $.98 cents left!

Coach Browder left MCHS because he retired in Tennessee and got a better paying job in Mississippi. Franks does not have the authority to hire and fire anyone at the school. The hiring of coaches and teachers are made by the principal with approval from the director of schools.

9oldschool5, you are a rare person that is an AHS fan that does not dislike person. What does McNairy County care what other people think of the way that Franks was hired?  You criticize the hiring of Larry Smith, but then say he is doing a good job.

The dirtiest rotten scoundrels are at least the best at what they do as scoundrels. I think our principals might be a bit offended by your definition. The last three principals hired - Wayne Henry, Pam Simon, and Sondra Jackson are all good people. The good thing is none of the three has probably ever been on CoachT to read they are bad people.

Ask Browder about his "retirement"...