McNairy

mcnairy

The you've been here 20+ years but our boosters want their buddy as head coach so you can get fired or retire? You talking bout that retirement?

That's the one.

Add to the 20+ years the fact that he had a pretty good record for the talent that was there...good coaching doesn't always add up to district, region, or state championships.

The system that Macnarry speaks of regarding the hiring and firing of coaches is correct...on paper. The good 'ol boy system works a little differently.

Edited by tradertwo

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what the exact number is but I think he only had 2 or 3 losing seasons in 20+ years. That next season after it happened, Cats were picked by the coacbes to win the region the next year because they were returning almost everyone and a dynamic freshman RB from a playoff team. They won 2 games and started the string of losses to Aville that year. We haven't won over 3 games since his last season here. It's played out so well for us since then. A lot of talent has been wasted.

Coach Browder had 12 winning regular seasons, four .500 regular seasons, and four losing seasons. The Bobcats were not picked to win the regular season the year after he left MC. The Bobcats have not been picked to win a district/region since 1991. MC did not win more than six games any of his last six seasons.

He was the best football coach ever at MC and his winning record will likely never be topped at the school. But he left on his own for a better job and lots more money. If anyone has told you something different, they are wrong.

So 16 seasons out of twenty that he went either .500 or above? And we have how many since his "retirement"?! Heck nah, no way would I have hired him back! Perfect example of Mcnairy central ignorance. And.....oh by the way, Everybody knows why he took the job in MS. You could be from NorthEast Tn and figure that all out just by reading our message board of shame!

Did he say he wanted the job back at MC?  He seems pretty happy coaching at Scotts Hill. Well, he may not have enjoyed the loss to MCHS last year.

I do not know why you are hung up on not calling his leaving a 'retirement.' That is what he called it. Teachers do not get many benefits, but they can retire and work on a shortened contract.

Our talent had gone down in his last few years and he could see the future years made it a good time to hit the road to south Mississippi.

I didn't comment to begin an argument, so sorry about that...but let's not assume that I have an agenda here...just a passing interest in a program where I happen to have friends, and "contact" with the aforementioned former coach. Plain and simple, Browder's leaving was not of his own choosing. As long as we're getting some facts straight...no he didn't enjoy the loss to MCHS...I didn't call it a "retirement", you did...I implied that he was forced out, and he was...I hope that he's happy at Scotts Hill because we're very happy to have him...and saving the first question for last, no he doesn't want the job back at MC...in fact more than one of Scotts Hill's coaches turned the job down when offered...the last time being the night before Franks was announced.

Just to be clear, I've met Coach Franks on a few occasions and I like the man...I hope that he is successful, and that McNairy rises back to the level that they were under Coach Browder.

I may be wrong on them being picked to win the region that year but I thought that's what I read in the Jackson Sun that year because I thought it was interesting they had them over Liberty. But, maybe it was Liberty 1st and McNairy 2nd.

Browder's last two seasons he went 8-3 and 6-5 and making the playoffs. He was returning at least 7 starters on both sides of the ball the next season including Justin Sutton who looked liked he could be one of the best backs in school history after his freshmen year. After building a program for 20 years and the two seasons prior to these last two being two of your worse, I don't see how you would think a coach would not stay and finish that out, especially with a talent like Sutton. It would be different if a coach would have left for a better program but he went to a program that hadn't won. Most coaches would stay that extra couple of years since you done put in 20 and have solid seasons then retire. You get the opportunity to win right then, leave the program on a higher note, and makes you more attractive for your next job search. Disregarding all that, what I've been told and who I've been told by, I believe that information is not wrong. I don't think anyone disputes Browder retired, because it's a fact, he did. However, there is a difference in retiring on your terms and having to pick between retirement and termination. This has happened to many coaches and most of them take the the approach of saying non-controversial things in public.

I'm going to have to disagree with the whole talent argument some people try to make. I don't think there is going to be the consistent level stretch of talent like the late 80s through 90s. Especially, not until the youth leagues get improved. But, McNairy has always had and currently has enough talent to be competitive. Some seasons may be around .500, a couple losing seasons mixed in, but also a couple outstanding seasons get mixed in. But, they have talent to be competitive in games most years, in most sports.

Browder was forced out. He wasn't playing a boosters kid and glovers nephew. The locksmith and his other booster friends like bbq dude and Kirby dude got together and pushed out Browder cause he wasn't starting 2 or 3 kids. So they eased Glover in and their kids got to start and the program has went to #### since then. Buddy system at its finest. And you people that said he retired in his own are full of crap cause y'all are either friends with boosters or just don't know.

I agree on your youth programs having to improve. I watched the all star game between the peewee programs this past year and in 7-9 year olds selmer got beat like 28-6 and the game wasnt even that close. The 10-12s selmer got beat 24-0 and the Adamsville team ran between the tackles for the entire 2nd half. Thats where it starts and then you build from there.

Goodluck Franks will turn the program from were it is but it wont be a quick and easy task

Tradertwo, I can assure you not one, not two, not three of Scotts Hill coaches were offered the job. One of the coaches called one of our administrators and wanted the job! No one else was offered the job from there. If McNairy's salary was better, Coach Stroup would have been more interested in the job. The man has a family to feed.

Coach Browder is not shy, If he was forced out, he would say it. He said it about the job in Mississippi. He got a big salary to leave and was leaving on the beach.

concernedbobcat, it is going to be okay. I would love to have a top notch veteran coach. We just do not pay enough to attract a Mickey Marley type coach.  If we can get a couple good additions to our staff, we will be fine. Coaches do not let parents influence them whom to play as much as people want to believe. I guarantee you Browder never played anyone because of their daddy.

Tradertwo, I can assure you not one, not two, not three of Scotts Hill coaches were offered the job. One of the coaches called one of our administrators and wanted the job! No one else was offered the job from there. If McNairy's salary was better, Coach Stroup would have been more interested in the job. The man has a family to feed.

Coach Browder is not shy, If he was forced out, he would say it. He said it about the job in Mississippi. He got a big salary to leave and was leaving on the beach.

concernedbobcat, it is going to be okay. I would love to have a top notch veteran coach. We just do not pay enough to attract a Mickey Marley type coach.  If we can get a couple good additions to our staff, we will be fine. Coaches do not let parents influence them whom to play as much as people want to believe. I guarantee you Browder never played anyone because of their daddy.

I'm confused....our HC wasn't interested because of money, but he called and wanted the job? In one paragraph you stated that "not one...were offered the job", then you say that no one ELSE was offered. You then say that Browder would say it if he was forced out, and I'm telling you that he has said it.

What I said is true, all of it, whether or not everyone knows it. Not going to cause a stir if I can help it (I should have just kept it to myself), but since it's being questioned here are some more facts. Two of our coaches were offered the job. Multiple calls from various interested (and interesting) parties, made from very early after the job search began until the night before the announcement was made. Those statements are the truth...believe it or don't. Not saying that the person with the authority to make the hire called both every day begging, just that both were offered from various involved people.

You are right about coaches not being influenced a great deal, and that Coach Browder not playing kids through pressure...maybe that's the reason that he's not still there, and that the swinging door is still swinging...if you knew who made some of those calls to our coaches you'd understand better. BTW...if you're wondering what would make a nice gift for the new coach, a pair of those thigh high snake chaps probably would be appreciated at some point before his "retirement".

edit; Just to clarify...I'm not butt hurt over our coaches being offered. Our coaches have done a wonderful job...all of them, and should they ever choose to leave, they will be respected both for what they have accomplished for the program and for trying to better themselves and their family. I would hate to see any of them leave, but would gladly support them in their choice.

Edited by tradertwo

Macnarry. That is why Browder was pushed out. He wasn't playing some of boosters kids and friends kids. You need to put that in your stat book on why Browder left.

I think Frank's will be a good player coach. He knows how to motivate young kids. I hope he pulls in some good coordinators to help the team. I think he Will play some buddy ball. That's what will hurt the team.