104 Fouls called in Summertown @ Eagleville games...

STownEagleReporter

I have attempted to stay off CoachT most of this year but what happened last night (Tuesday, November 17) was totally sad. I have been Biased toward Waverly several times and said that the referees costed them the game when in actuality it was probably not the ref fault, but last night was definitely the referees who cost the Lady Eagles and Eagles of Summertown...

Summertown Lady Eagles: 31 called fouls. The Lady Eagles shot 13-18 Free Throws. Went to the line 11 times.

Eagleville Lady Eagles: 22 called fouls. The Lady Eagles shot 28-45 Free Throws. Went to the line 23 times.

Summertown Eagles: 29 called fouls. The Eagles shot 15-26 Free Throws. Went to the line 15 times.

Eagleville Eagles: 22 called fouls. The Eagles shot 19-31 Free Throws. Went to the line 16 times.

Those are the official numbers and it was ridiculous. Summertown Lady Eagles star foward ended up with 3 early fouls. Caught a foul in the Early 3rd quarter and McGill played it safe and kept her on the bench til later in the 4th, When basically immediately when she went back out they called what was a bogus foul on her and fouled her out. That is what cost the Lady Eagles. In the guys game Summertown out scored eagleville 18-10 and cut the lead to just 2. The funny thing about the 3rd quarter is that Eagleville didn't attempt a free throw, but then the 4th quarter started and the fouls began to be called again and Summertown couldn't compete without the fear of foul outs.

I try not to make excuses but when your calling charge on a player who just got clothlined then there is probably a problem. Lets get some opinion... The Radio station was saying it could had been a state record.. Did other teams experience officating like this..

My comment and post should not reflect Summertown High School or Newspaper offices that I work for... They are my own personal opinion...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw something very similar last night in our game. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but 3 of our starters had 3 fouls earlier in the second quarter.

I was told by the coach that they had received an warning email(if you will) from Gene Menees at the TSSAA office that there would be a lot of fouls called in these early games. I assumed it was from the newest "point of emphasis" speech the officials heard at their meetings. I've never seen so many incidental and touch fouls called. It wasn't like they were trying to clean up play, it was like that from the jump ball.

Hopefully it will subside shortly or teams better start dressing 15 players.

I have attempted to stay off CoachT most of this year but what happened last night (Tuesday, November 17) was totally sad. I have been Biased toward Waverly several times and said that the referees costed them the game when in actuality it was probably not the ref fault, but last night was definitely the referees who cost the Lady Eagles and Eagles of Summertown...

Summertown Lady Eagles: 31 called fouls. The Lady Eagles shot 13-18 Free Throws. Went to the line 11 times.

Eagleville Lady Eagles: 22 called fouls. The Lady Eagles shot 28-45 Free Throws. Went to the line 23 times.

Summertown Eagles: 29 called fouls. The Eagles shot 15-26 Free Throws. Went to the line 15 times.

Eagleville Eagles: 22 called fouls. The Eagles shot 19-31 Free Throws. Went to the line 16 times.

Those are the official numbers and it was ridiculous. Summertown Lady Eagles star foward ended up with 3 early fouls. Caught a foul in the Early 3rd quarter and McGill played it safe and kept her on the bench til later in the 4th, When basically immediately when she went back out they called what was a bogus foul on her and fouled her out. That is what cost the Lady Eagles. In the guys game Summertown out scored eagleville 18-10 and cut the lead to just 2. The funny thing about the 3rd quarter is that Eagleville didn't attempt a free throw, but then the 4th quarter started and the fouls began to be called again and Summertown couldn't compete without the fear of foul outs.

I try not to make excuses but when your calling charge on a player who just got clothlined then there is probably a problem. Lets get some opinion... The Radio station was saying it could had been a state record.. Did other teams experience officating like this..

My comment and post should not reflect Summertown High School or Newspaper offices that I work for... They are my own personal opinion...

I don't doubt the officiating wasn't great... But the foul numbers you posted don't seem back up the claim that the officials cost them the game. Yes, it's a lot of fouls and I'm sure it made the games unpleasant... But the foul numbers were fairly close. 29-22 and 31-22 aren't way out of balance toward one team. Timing of fouls... Well that's possibly a different matter.

I don't doubt the officiating wasn't great... But the foul numbers you posted don't seem back up the claim that the officials cost them the game. Yes, it's a lot of fouls and I'm sure it made the games unpleasant... But the foul numbers were fairly close. 29-22 and 31-22 aren't way out of balance toward one team. Timing of fouls... Well that's possibly a different matter.

I see your point, but in the girls game they fouled out our best  player and the last foul called on her was bogus... That really costed the girls... As I said though the one quarter where the fouls were not outrageous Summertown clearly played better than Eagleville. Then the fouls started being called again and Eagleville pulled away.. Eagleville had fouls called on them but it seemed like they were only after Summertown had scored. One of the biggest issues last night was a Summertown boys player drove to the basket and got clotheslined and then had a charge called on him... Had the fouls not been called both Eaglesville teams could had still won, we will never know but the 104 fouls called was definitely ridiclous... 

GCA knox at Oak Ridge Tuesday 70+ fouls

Welcome to the new TSSAA play ball one quarter shoot free throws one quarter play 3rd quarter shoot ft 4th quarter. Best players leave early and JV kids play more varsity in games. Its ridiculous. My kid got a foul in the paint a when he asked why the ref said he hooked the defender ...... Its called a swim move

Lets just hand out participation trophies to all and call it a season

Edited by 12thmanGCA

GCA knox at Oak Ridge Tuesday 70+ fouls

My kid got a foul in the paint a when he asked why the ref said he hooked the defender ...... Its called a swim move

Its called a hold.

I mean think about it. If you use your hands to gain leverage on or impede an opposing player, thats putting them at a disadvantage. Thats pretty cut and dry. Move your feet to get the spot on the floor.

They obviously allow hand checking in AAU ball and summer leagues. Once the kids get used to what is being called, then the fouls will come down. Most of the fouls in the Oak Ridge - GCA game were players reaching and hand-checking.

Bingo. Don't get me wrong, I have always prefered a more physical, bump and grind game. But if you go by the rule book, that just isn't within the letter of the rule.