Football and Wrestling A match made in heaven right?

JustACoach1911

Hello wrestling community, I have been meaning to write this post for a few weeks after enjoying a day of Sunday football and in each game there was a reference to a player on one or both of the teams who were high school wrestlers and how wrestling helps football players in so many aspects.

I'm sure a lot of you all are familiar with the numerous professional players were also wrestled but just to name a few Bo Jackson, Ray Lewis( 2x state champ), Roddy White ( 2x state champ) and a former Nashville beast Scott Wells a TN state champ and Super Bowl champ.

My question or reason for this topic is even though there is so much evidence that wrestling can be beneficial to football player we struggle getting guys to come out and compete and by struggle I mean 1 player. I'm just curious as to how you coaches are convincing the youth to come out and wrestle. I am open to all suggestions and feedback as to how many football players you are able to gather once the season is over and methods for doing so.

MOST FOOTBALL PLAYERS AND COACHES THINK THEY HAVE IT ALL FIGURED OUT. MOST FOOTBALL COACHES BELIEVE " HOW COULD ANYTHING OR ANY SPORT MAKE MY KIDS BETTER FOOTBALL PLAYERS, THAN MY WINTER WORKOUT PROGRAM". THEY WILL NOT LISTEN TO REASON, BECAUSE THEY KNOW IT ALL.

IT IS BEST TOO GET THE KIDS EARLY AND SHOW THEM HOW TO LOVE THIS GREAT SPORT. THEN THEY MIGHT PLAY FOOTBALL, ON THEIR TIME OFF, WAITING ON WRESTLING SEASON TO START.

THE ANIMAL

Animal said it right. I had about 20 football players lined up to wrstle this year, and from a team that finished 0-11, you would think the football coaches would do everything possible to get better. I havekept 4 from the 20. 4/16 that did not stay were told by the assistant coaches that they were losing too much weight, and they would not be able to play NEXT SEASON. The others said that the workout was too hard. Once again, football did not win a single game. Then the funny part was, there were several linemen that tried out for basketball. 0-11. I will leave that there. Lol

This is a topic that is long and dear to my heart. Let's be honest and say that to be a really good football player the first requirement is for the player to be athletic. You flat out cannot be great football player at the next level if you cannot turn your hips and run. On the other end if you want to be a great high school wrestler you first must be both physically and mentally tough. Unfortunately most high school coaches have never wrestled and do not understand the advantages of football players being multi sport athletes. There is major turf war taking place inside most Tennessee high schools between the football coaching staffs and the other sports. If I were the head wrestling coach I would do the following:

1. Recruit one of the assistant football coaches to be the assistant wrestling coach.

2. Require all football players that wrestle go into the weight room for strength training 3X per week. IMO, all the wrestlers should be doing this, not just the football players. Do this even if you only get them in the wrestling room for 1 hour each day. You must be willing to show that you will share the athletes.

3. Keep detailed records that can prove how the multi sport athletes have less injuries and less body fat.

4. Do not ask the football players to cut weight. If anything have the kids try to grow into a weight classification via strength training and great nutrition.

Hello wrestling community, I have been meaning to write this post for a few weeks after enjoying a day of Sunday football and in each game there was a reference to a player on one or both of the teams who were high school wrestlers and how wrestling helps football players in so many aspects.

I'm sure a lot of you all are familiar with the numerous professional players were also wrestled but just to name a few Bo Jackson, Ray Lewis( 2x state champ), Roddy White ( 2x state champ) and a former Nashville beast Scott Wells a TN state champ and Super Bowl champ.

My question or reason for this topic is even though there is so much evidence that wrestling can be beneficial to football player we struggle getting guys to come out and compete and by struggle I mean 1 player. I'm just curious as to how you coaches are convincing the youth to come out and wrestle. I am open to all suggestions and feedback as to how many football players you are able to gather once the season is over and methods for doing so.

Another great wrestler who did okay in football was John Hannah, who was at Baylor, Alabama, and the Patriots. He was a National Prep heavyweight champion, a football All-American at Alabama, and is in the NFL Hall of Fame. Many years ago he was named by Sports Illustrated as the greatest offensive lineman of all time.

• Upvote 1

This is a topic that is long and dear to my heart. Let's be honest and say that to be a really good football player the first requirement is for the player to be athletic. You flat out cannot be great football player at the next level if you cannot turn your hips and run. On the other end if you want to be a great high school wrestler you first must be both physically and mentally tough. Unfortunately most high school coaches have never wrestled and do not understand the advantages of football players being multi sport athletes. There is major turf war taking place inside most Tennessee high schools between the football coaching staffs and the other sports. If I were the head wrestling coach I would do the following:

1. Recruit one of the assistant football coaches to be the assistant wrestling coach.

2. Require all football players that wrestle go into the weight room for strength training 3X per week. IMO, all the wrestlers should be doing this, not just the football players. Do this even if you only get them in the wrestling room for 1 hour each day. You must be willing to show that you will share the athletes.

3. Keep detailed records that can prove how the multi sport athletes have less injuries and less body fat.

4. Do not ask the football players to cut weight. If anything have the kids try to grow into a weight classification via strength training and great nutrition.

Great Post!

Bruno Reagan not a bad wrestler who started playing football during his sophomore year of high school . Now is RS freshman playing football at Vandy. 247 new comer of the year. Seam like all football players who wrestled are described as tough, use leverage and commitmented.

Newcomer of the Year

Bruno Reagan

Reagan may have only started the last two games of the season, but the redshirt freshman made his presence felt throughout the year. The Clarksville product saw limited snaps with the offensive line at the beginning of the year, but would often display the toughness, leverage and commitment to a block that some starters seemed to be lacking at times. As the season went on, Reagan received even more and more snaps and the running game seemed to direct his way as he finished blocks and created slivers of room. On Saturday, Reagan was one of the reasons the Commodores were able to rush for over 200 yards against an improved Tennessee defense, showing off his agility and grit on a consistent basis. Outside linebacker Nehemiah Mitchell, nickel back Donovan Sheffield and Kyle Shurmur also made notable impacts, as did Justin Skule prior to his injury, but Reagan was the most consistent of the newcomers.

http://vanderbilt.247sports.com/Article/Commodores-experienced-some-progress-but-still-in-need-of-more-41523501

This only shows how Wrestling and Football go together especially for Linemen.  More Coaches need to open their eyes and accept the fact an in shape Athlete is way better than just a big body.

this is a great post but I am curious from the wrestling coaches of how many football players do you get when the season is over. I think if we had that info and could take that to our football coaches or admin maybe we could get somewhere. For instance what teams get a big amount of football guys

this is a great post but I am curious from the wrestling coaches of how many football players do you get when the season is over. I think if we had that info and could take that to our football coaches or admin maybe we could get somewhere. For instance what teams get a big amount of football guys

You dont need a big amount.  Just look at those who do and the benefits they get from Wrestling.  Put a Football player against a Football/Wrestler anytime and I will bet majority of wins go to Wrestler on the Field.