When Will Schools Realize Its A Program That Breeds Sucess, Not Talent

TNBROADCASTER

As we look back of the past year broadcasting games all over this state and in Alabama there once again is a common theme. The schools that have built a program from middle school on up with a consistent theme and step by step program always seem to come out on top. Yes, there are teams that occasionally have a few talented players that take them to the next level for a year or two only to fall back into the pack in the next few years. These are the team that usually face the program teams in the finals each year only to loose. We see these teams with that special talented player riding their backs into a good season every year. So, what does it take to be on top year after year? Its the development of the program from middle school on up. Weight training, conditioning, utilizing the same football scheme through out the entire program. We see these team reload every year and if you take a hard look these teams all do one thing and that's playing consistent fundamentally sound football and don't make a lot of mistakes. You only have to look at the number of players these schools put into division 1. It's always on a lower percentage than many of the other schools in the state. Why is that? It's because these teams were taught to play correctly and develop correctly. They all have the same common theme and a coach that lives and breaths the program. So, does throwing money at the program work? No, we see this all the time with that one financially secure parent willing the throw their money into the school in order to have their kid get a leg up on everyone else but after them move on so does their money. a school, its principal, the school board and every coach has to be on board to make the program work. Paul Brown, the late coach and owner of the Browns and the Bengals when he was a high school coach in Lima Ohio made it a practice to deliver a football to every new born baby boy born in the town. Why did he do this? To set the tone for the program. Every young man in that town grew up wanting to play at Lima and for Coach Brown. You see , its all about the program that makes the success. What is your school doing..

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As we look back of the past year broadcasting games all over this state and in Alabama there once again is a common theme. The schools that have built a program from middle school on up with a consistent theme and step by step program always seem to come out on top. Yes, there are teams that occasionally have a few talented players that take them to the next level for a year or two only to fall back into the pack in the next few years. These are the team that usually face the program teams in the finals each year only to loose. We see these teams with that special talented player riding their backs into a good season every year. So, what does it take to be on top year after year? Its the development of the program from middle school on up. Weight training, conditioning, utilizing the same football scheme through out the entire program. We see these team reload every year and if you take a hard look these teams all do one thing and that's playing consistent fundamentally sound football and don't make a lot of mistakes. You only have to look at the number of players these schools put into division 1. It's always on a lower percentage than many of the other schools in the state. Why is that? It's because these teams were taught to play correctly and develop correctly. They all have the same common theme and a coach that lives and breaths the program. So, does throwing money at the program work? No, we see this all the time with that one financially secure parent willing the throw their money into the school in order to have their kid get a leg up on everyone else but after them move on so does their money. a school, its principal, the school board and every coach has to be on board to make the program work. Paul Brown, the late coach and owner of the Browns and the Bengals when he was a high school coach in Lima Ohio made it a practice to deliver a football to every new born baby boy born in the town. Why did he do this? To set the tone for the program. Every young man in that town grew up wanting to play at Lima and for Coach Brown. You see , its all about the program that makes the success. What is your school doing..

Need to post this on the DB thread.

Agree wholeheartedly and I think it works well in a tight community with s straight middle school feeder and no tuition assisted private schools nearby.

is their a problem with having private schools nearby? If you look at the top in the state and country they all do what this guy says and they buy in whole heartedly to their program. They all train year round to be better and most of them without a so called “feeder school". I figured you being an Indy fan would love private schools considering you all receiving 2 of yalls top players ever from privates but...

is their a problem with having private schools nearby? If you look at the top in the state and country they all do what this guy says and they buy in whole heartedly to their program. They all train year round to be better and most of them without a so called “feeder school". I figured you being an Indy fan would love private schools considering you all receiving 2 of yalls top players ever from privates but...

No need for a feeder school when you can offer financial aid

No need for a feeder school when you can offer financial aid

You think that it honestly makes that much of a difference weather they offer aid or not? I mean 3 so called “no aid" schools made state this year with no feeder schools and 2 of the 3 won.. Heck you could even argue Pearl Cohn as they are an magnet school bc you have to go through lottery to see who goes there or not. All I'm saying is it doesn't matter if you have aid or not because people want to go to privates over publics given the chance I'm sorry but it's true.. I also figured you'd like privates bc one of your teams best players played over at Rickyland aka Ensworth

You think that it honestly makes that much of a difference weather they offer aid or not? I mean 3 so called “no aid" schools made state this year with no feeder schools and 2 of the 3 won.. Heck you could even argue Pearl Cohn as they are an magnet school bc you have to go through lottery to see who goes there or not. All I'm saying is it doesn't matter if you have aid or not because people want to go to privates over publics given the chance I'm sorry but it's true.. I also figured you'd like privates bc one of your teams best players played over at Rickyland aka Ensworth

We've lost more kids to privates than we've gained so excuse me if I don't share your sentiment

I was talking more from my experience in high school. Private school sat right in our school zone. We usually had two to three potential starters go to the private school. In our area I think Brentwood High School suffers the most from the loss of talent.

Definitely agree with the OP on this one.  All you have to do is look at Riverdale to see the difference between a program and just yearly football teams.

Programs breed expectations. Expectations bring great effort, participation, commitment and support.  It's a synergy that just feeds itself and gets stronger.  Throw in some talent and you have a state championship favorite.  Even in the down years you're in the hunt because of the program.      

Definitely agree with the OP on this one.  All you have to do is look at Riverdale to see the difference between a program and just yearly football teams.

Programs breed expectations. Expectations bring great effort, participation, commitment and support.  It's a synergy that just feeds itself and gets stronger.  Throw in some talent and you have a state championship favorite.  Even in the down years you're in the hunt because of the program.      

BUMP :thumb:

Definitely agree with the OP on this one. All you have to do is look at Riverdale to see the difference between a program and just yearly football teams.

Programs breed expectations. Expectations bring great effort, participation, commitment and support. It's a synergy that just feeds itself and gets stronger. Throw in some talent and you have a state championship favorite. Even in the down years you're in the hunt because of the program.

Great post 100% accurate!