Best Overall in The State

steelerfan32

I have watched the Stewart kid play in several games and he is not very good at guard. He has the ball taken away from him to much. And if you put someone on him and they stay close and dog him it shakes him up. He is not as good as he is built up to be, but it's all in the hype and who you know around you. It would not surprise me to see him nomitated for Mr. Basketball. UC lost three players last year that could eat his supper any day of the week.

I disagree...He is not a point guard no..but neither was Deberry last year.. Parker gets a bad rep around the city for what reason i dont know.  You don't get the offers that he has off of "who you know" he is a legit 6'4 guard that can stroke it..he is asked to do alot in a new role...play point...post up create shots for others as well as get his own.  He is avg 20+ & shooting high 40% he has a ton to work on and get better at... but he is just a Junior. Its more than just hype. The kid can play!

I disagree...He is not a point guard no..but neither was Deberry last year.. Parker gets a bad rep around the city for what reason i dont know.  You don't get the offers that he has off of "who you know" he is a legit 6'4 guard that can stroke it..he is asked to do alot in a new role...play point...post up create shots for others as well as get his own.  He is avg 20+ & shooting high 40% he has a ton to work on and get better at... but he is just a Junior. Its more than just hype. The kid can play!

I would have to agree.

When I saw him a year or two ago against South Side he was just a freshman or sophomore and I wasnt impressed, but as a junior and in the game vs Halls he is legit. Good size, solid ball handling, decent jumper and post up game. He is a big time player. Heard a person in the crowd say he got plenty offers, one being Kansas. 

You asked earlier about open enrollment. Memphis City schools is now defunct and Shelby County Schools is the governing body. Schools like Collierville, Bartlett, Arlington and others broke away and formed their own districts. 

In a city like Memphis, that has a documented poverty problem for years, keeping kids in a district near their home just continues the problem of poverty. In our day equality is a hot word in every aspects of life. And education is no exception. Take schools like Hamilton, Mitchell, Booker T, and all the other schools that no one has heard of because they're not very good in sports. These schools are usually in rough, rundown areas of town. Have you ever been to the Liberty Bowl and seen that neighborhood? Have you ever been to a game at Melrose? Most people from outside of Memphis go to Wolfchase or downtown to Beale St. or to the FedEx Forum. They don't see the neighborhoods and experience what it's like. Boarded up shotgun houses, bars on windows, convenient store clerks behind bullet proof glass. Those areas are really rough. If I have to go I don't hang around very long. Ever heard the saying, "If you don't belong, don't be long."? Memphis is a small city with some big city problems. 

Allowing students to attend a better or perceived better school is supposed to help them beat the problems that some of them have been surrounded since birth. Allowing a student to go across town to a school that has a program of study that will help them in the future is a good thing. Would you disagree? If a school has a good basketball program, like Mitchell, or a good football program like Whitehaven, or a good Track and Field program like Southwind, what would prevent a kid that has athletic potential from going to one of those schools? Would you like your child to attend a school that's in a bad neighborhood, that fails in every aspect of education, and is dangerous? Memphis is different than other cities I've been to. I've had the opportunity to travel a bit so I've seen some places. Most cities (100,000+) have areas that are poor and impoverished and areas that are affluent and rich. Ever city I've seen these places are pretty clearly defined by a landmark, government office or geographical feature. In Memphis you can drive down certain streets and see nice old houses, very well kept, and people out and active. Then you can continue down the same street for 4-5 blocks and be in what most people would call the ghetto. That poses a unique problem for people that have some money and don't want their child in a bad school. Many students stay in the home school area and graduate from it. Everyday I hear about a student that came from a bad school in Memphis and is struggling but beginning to get over the hump at Germantown. But with that I hear about the kids that come from a bad school and continue down the same path they would have been on at their area school. Basically,  open enrollment is an educational trend that is happening in cities all over America. Open enrollment is supposed to afford students the best opportunity for their future.

Does this happen in rural areas? Not often. Is it needed in rural areas? Rarely. 

I'm sure this won't be good enough for you but this is my answer about open enrollment. 

So how is allowing open enrollment and letting kids go to whatever school they want fair, while the private schools have to have a multiplier on their enrollment and play against schools much larger than them if they chose to play in the D1 division?