Official Thread: Mr. Basketball Nominations for 2015-2016

CoachT

CoachT: Negative comments do not work well in this topic. Positive comments, however, may help sportswriters across the state become aware of a player that you think is deserving.

Email from the TSSAA to coacht.com:

The Mr. and Miss Basketball Awards will be presented to the top girls and boys in five classifications of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association at the state basketball championships in March.

This group is to include three finalists for Miss Basketball and three for Mr. Basketball in each classification. The winners of the coveted award are to receive the distinguished Mr. and Miss Basketball trophy with the other finalists being presented plaques.

The presentation of the Mr. and Miss Basketball Awards will see a significant change this year. The awards will be presented to the top girls and boys in five classifications of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association on the floor of Murphy Center on the campus of Middle Tennessee State University on Tuesday, March 8 at 7:00 p.m. A reception for the finalists and their families will be held prior to the awards presentation.

Any player at any of our member schools is eligible to receive votes, and I would encourage you to take a moment and give careful consideration to any player with whom you are familiar and who you think deserving of the award.

These votes are a nominating process only. A selection committee that will include representatives from each area of the state will meet to vote on the finalists and winner of the Mr. and Miss Basketball Award for each classification. You may nominate up to three players in each classification for the awards. It is not necessary to nominate three players in each category, but that is your option. Also, please take into account the statewide aspect of this award as you consider your nominations.

In order for your ballot to be counted in the selection process, it must be submitted no later than noon on FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 5. Please respond today.

Negative comments do not work well in this topic. Positive comments, however, may help sportswriters across the state become aware of a player that you think is deserving.

Garrett Sams from Westview should be there. Averaging over 24 points a game for a Westview team that's top 10 in AA. But Westview is so balanced offensively that he may not crack the top 3. Single A Malik Rogers from Halls has to get some votes. Don't think Halls is 18-0 without his scoring. AAA Nathan Hoover from Arlington. He should be a shoo-in IMO

Tyreke Key is by far the best player in Class A that i have seen.  I know Mitchell will undoubtedly have someone of equal ability.  Where the third one comes from is anyone's guess.  The kid from VanBuren is good but he's no where close to the level of Key.

Edited by UCSportsFan

Tyreke Key is by far the best player in Class A that i have seen. I know Mitchell will undoubtedly have someone of equal ability. Where the third one comes from is anyone's guess. The kid from VanBuren is good but he's no where close to the level of Key.

I couldn't agree more. Take a look back when Clay Co. beat Van Buren by 30, 99-69. Key had 30-40 in that game and truthfully I don't recall any undoubtedly standout player from Van Buren. I am sure the guy from VB is good but sorry I am going to highly doubt he is even in the top 3 simply because I am sure they're atleast two standout D1 recruits on the west end of the state at Mitchell and Halls.

The district talent with VB is no where near the level of 7A this year. VB played two 7A teams and got trounced both games thus far. Jackson Co beat them by 29 and Clay beat them by 30. I know we aren't talking about teams in this thread but the level of talent these players face should play a role in the judging.

From memory and there might be more but Key has had 5-10 40 point games this year while averaging almost 30 a game. He does it all; dunks, rebounds, handles the ball, creates his own shots, shoots the three, excellent free throw shooter, and an excellent passer. Not to mention he is a great humble kid that's very unselfish and doesn't like to cause a scene. Very rare these days.

Edited by Shozen