AAA State Duals Predictions

Bump11

Am I missing something here? Beech didn't place. No disrespect to Beech but they were 2 rounds from placing, regardless of who was missing or who didn't show up, Beech didn't lose those matches--those matches were WON by the other teams. It's time to give credit to the teams who stepped up and WON them. Both Science Hill and Gibbs stepped up to the plate and got the job done against Beech. So rather than making excuses and trying to figure out a way to justify why we were wrong in our predictions, let's also step up to the plate and congratulate those teams who figured out a way to win matches.

Also can we stop beating the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" drum with Cleveland. They didn't make it, so no matter what you "think," they were not a top 3 dual team this year.

No, Cleveland did not make it. Only cause they had to contend with the other 2 best teams in tennessee this year in the same district, Bradley and Soddy. Like it said in another topic. The 3 best teams are in 1 region and only 2 can go each year in state. That part sucks. Outside of privates, these 3 teams are the most dominate in Tennessee and yes, Cleveland would have finished 3rd if one of these 3 teams wasn't in the region. Shoulda, coulda, woulda all you want about Cleveland. Anyone that knows wrestling would tell you, Cleveland would have finished 3rd in the state this year.

I also think Tennessee High will also have a say so in bein top 3 in a couple weeks. They lacked a few weights to had a state contender this year. Those boys are pretty good

Edited by DaChampsAgain

to say that a state placer and one of the top 3 or 4 guys at his weight wouldn't make a difference in a 2 point match and a tie is a bit absurd. Maybe not as much as winning state, but placing with him is a huge possibility and probably what wouldn't happened. We will never know what would've happened, but you have to think he would've made a difference. As far as whether or not he quit, or was not let back... We don't know the details so for you to subliminally take a shot at beechs coach for not "giving a 2nd chance" is also a little messed up. That's awesome that coach smith did that for Adkins, but these are 2 completely different situations, 2 completely different programs, and 2 completely different coaches with different rules. We don't know what the deal was with the beech kid and maybe it was something that was deemed bad enough to not be brought back. We don't know. But to say, " oh well Bradley had the same situation but coach smith let him come back so how nice of him" sounds like you're taking a shot at beech for possibly not allowing said wrestler to come back. Which is wrong. especially when you don't know the situation or any details

I apologize if it came off as me taking a shot at Beech. The post didn't really come off exactly as it sounded in my head. I don't know what goes on in their program. They have some a good team, and some tough wrestlers. I was just stating what I heard from other people about the situation (which very well could be false information). For all I know the story could of changed 5 times by the time I heard what happened. You know how that goes with the story changing every time someone else tells it. I just like seeing people get another chance (unless it was a murder or something lol). These kids are young and still learning. I get frustrated when I know it's something that a kid will probably regret their whole life. Once again though I am sorry. It was supposed to be praise for coach Smith, but did sound negative towards Beech after re-reading my post. 

You are also right that adding a state placer is probably enough to get over the hump in that tight of a match. However, I never said it wouldn't. I said it would not be enough against the Chattanooga teams. 

No, Cleveland did not make it. Only cause they had to contend with the other 2 best teams in tennessee this year in the same district, Bradley and Soddy. Like it said in another topic. The 3 best teams are in 1 region and only 2 can go each year in state. That part sucks. Outside of privates, these 3 teams are the most dominate in Tennessee and yes, Cleveland would have finished 3rd if one of these 3 teams wasn't in the region. Shoulda, coulda, woulda all you want about Cleveland. Anyone that knows wrestling would tell you, Cleveland would have finished 3rd in the state this year.

Exactly. Congrats to Tennessee for doing what they did with the forfeits. That was impressive. However, I like Cleveland's chances at finishing third in that playing field. Just because they did not compete yesterday, does not mean they are not the 3rd best team. If I was ranking the teams, I still have Bradley, Soddy, Cleveland as my top 3. It's no different than when Burroughs, Taylor, and Dake were in the same weight class. They could have the best 3 in the world, but only 1 can qualify. 

I apologize if it came off as me taking a shot at Beech. The post didn't really come off exactly as it sounded in my head. I don't know what goes on in their program. They have some a good team, and some tough wrestlers. I was just stating what I heard from other people about the situation (which very well could be false information). For all I know the story could of changed 5 times by the time I heard what happened. You know how that goes with the story changing every time someone else tells it. I just like seeing people get another chance (unless it was a murder or something lol). These kids are young and still learning. I get frustrated when I know it's something that a kid will probably regret their whole life. Once again though I am sorry. It was supposed to be praise for coach Smith, but did sound negative towards Beech after re-reading my post.

You are also right that adding a state placer is probably enough to get over the hump in that tight of a match. However, I never said it wouldn't. I said it would not be enough against the Chattanooga teams.

I figured you didn't mean it that way necessarily but it definetely came off that way. I also see where your coming from as far as wanting kids to get a chance to learn from their mistakes. However it's hard to judge the situation when nobody knows exactly what happened. Now on he other note, I believe beech at full strength places atleast 4th, if not 3rd. I also think that Tennessee with a full lineup, is in contention for 2nd. That team is very very strong. And to place 3rd, over teams like Wilson and Beech and Science Hill and heritage and Blackman.. Who are all perennial power houses.. And to do it missing 3 weights... Wow. That's all I can say. It's truly unbelievable what they accomplished

I also think Tennessee High will also have a say so in bein top 3 in a couple weeks. They lacked a few weights to had a state contender this year. Those boys are pretty good

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.  Maybe we should lobby for a Region 4 wildcard so that none of the wrestling royalty gets left out of the dance and gets the chance to prove their dominance.  With your reasoning, I think its also safe to say we have to add Walker Valley as a legitimate top 4 contender. 

So since we are living in the world of what if's:

Soddy 39 - Cleveland 26 -- 13 points (this happened twice--exact same score)

Soddy slips past Wilson Central 35-29, 6 points difference in a match that if wrestled again could flip to WC.  So it would stand to reason based on your illogical extrapolations that WC (the 4th place team) would beat Cleveland. 

Oh the humanity!  What have I done?!?!?!?!?! 

Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Maybe we should lobby for a Region 4 wildcard so that none of the wrestling royalty gets left out of the dance and gets the chance to prove their dominance. With your reasoning, I think its also safe to say we have to add Walker Valley as a legitimate top 4 contender.

So since we are living in the world of what if's:

Soddy 39 - Cleveland 26 -- 13 points (this happened twice--exact same score)

Soddy slips past Wilson Central 35-29, 6 points difference in a match that if wrestled again could flip to WC. So it would stand to reason based on your illogical extrapolations that WC (the 4th place team) would beat Cleveland.

Oh the humanity! What have I done?!?!?!?!?!

I don't think Walker is a top 5 team this year. Top 10 isn't likely either. They'd have to wrestle their best. That said how many times has Wilson Central beaten Cleveland or Bradley in a duel? Anyone know. Or for that matter Walker. I'm curious.

I still don't think the state placer they were missing would have been enough for them to beat either Chattanooga team. It was awesome to see 2 of their teams in the finals again with Soddy keeping Wilson Central out this year. I think Cleveland probably would of took third as well. As for Beech's state placer, I was wondering what happened to him too. It may not be true but I heard he quit for a little while and then wasn't allowed back on the team when he tried to come back. The funny thing is Bradley was is the same situation and let Adkins back after not being there all year. Kudos to coach Smith for giving Adkins a second chance. Looks like it didn't hurt them to bad. These kids make mistakes all the time and should always be given another chance in my opinion. Congrats to Bradley and Soddy. I can't wait to see if Bradley, Soddy, and Cleveland can finish top 3 in 2 weeks.

Ok. I am Beech head coach. Let's me say this... pennstatewrestlingfan... the kid in question did not quit he was put off team for conduct detrimental to team. Let's leave it at that. The kid and his family know the cituation was done fairly. Did it hurt? Sure it broke my heart as a coach. I hope he learns from this and becomes the fine person that I know he is. As for the duals that we had at state. Science Hill and Gibbs both beat Beech. They got the job done when they were supposed to. I applaud the coaches and teams for their hard work and efforts. Both teams are super tough and won over Beech. No excuses. No if, ands, or buts, about it. I expect both of those teams to keep producing high caliber teams. Let's enjoy the state tournament and not take away from it by discussing all the things we cannot control.
  • Upvote 1

Well said Coach, one great wrestler doesn't win a state duals championship. However, PennStateWrestlingFan, a 12 pt. swing in any duals match is a huge factor. Getting a pin vs getting pinned was a big part of Beech not advancing Friday night. Losing two dual matches by a total of 2 points, I think a senior state placer instead of a freshman at that weight class is very significant.

• Upvote 1

Well said Coach, one great wrestler doesn't win a state duals championship. However, PennStateWrestlingFan, a 12 pt. swing in any duals match is a huge factor. Getting a pin vs getting pinned was a big part of Beech not advancing Friday night. Losing two dual matches by a total of 2 points, I think a senior state placer instead of a freshman at that weight class is very significant.

"You are also right that adding a state placer is probably enough to get over the hump in that tight of a match. However, I never said it wouldn't. I said it would not be enough against the Chattanooga teams."

That is my reply to Bump. If you read anything I posted, I never said it wouldn't make a differerence  in those matches. I said against the CHATTANOOGA teams. I was talking about Soddy Daisy and Bradley Central. The best two teams in AAA. The last time I checked, Gibbs and Science Hill are from another part of the state.

Ok. I am Beech head coach. Let's me say this... pennstatewrestlingfan... the kid in question did not quit he was put off team for conduct detrimental to team. Let's leave it at that. The kid and his family know the cituation was done fairly. Did it hurt? Sure it broke my heart as a coach. I hope he learns from this and becomes the fine person that I know he is. As for the duals that we had at state. Science Hill and Gibbs both beat Beech. They got the job done when they were supposed to. I applaud the coaches and teams for their hard work and efforts. Both teams are super tough and won over Beech. No excuses. No if, ands, or buts, about it. I expect both of those teams to keep producing high caliber teams. Let's enjoy the state tournament and not take away from it by discussing all the things we cannot control.

Thanks for clearing that up coach. That proves what I was told was false. Like i said, I like to see people get second chances (or a third or a fourth lol). It couldn't have been an easy decision for you, as it weakens your lineup. I know the rankings had you guys at number 2 at one point, so it had to hurt. Hopefully he gets his life straightened out. As Bump said earlier, it is a completely different situation that you were in. Once again, I apologize to you and your team. It came off as me putting you guys down, and was not intended that way. Good luck to your team at regionals and state. You appear to have some contenders for some individual state titles at 106, 145, and 182.

to say that a state placer and one of the top 3 or 4 guys at his weight wouldn't make a difference in a 2 point match and a tie is a bit absurd. Maybe not as much as winning state, but placing with him is a huge possibility and probably what wouldn't happened. We will never know what would've happened, but you have to think he would've made a difference. As far as whether or not he quit, or was not let back... We don't know the details so for you to subliminally take a shot at beechs coach for not "giving a 2nd chance" is also a little messed up. That's awesome that coach smith did that for Adkins, but these are 2 completely different situations, 2 completely different programs, and 2 completely different coaches with different rules. We don't know what the deal was with the beech kid and maybe it was something that was deemed bad enough to not be brought back. We don't know. But to say, " oh well Bradley had the same situation but coach smith let him come back so how nice of him" sounds like you're taking a shot at beech for possibly not allowing said wrestler to come back. Which is wrong. especially when you don't know the situation or any details

I don't really post anything on here anymore, but finally decided to give my opinion on this. I agree with what Bump11 said right here. I understand your free to have your own opinion PennStateWrestlingFan and I know you apologized but it probably would be best not to post on CoachT in the future about rumors you hear about other teams unless you know exactly what happened. Coach Roberts wants to win just as bad as any other coach in the state and does a lot for his wrestlers. No coach is going to purposely make their lineup weaker just for the fun of it. Basically I'm saying unless your hear a story directly from the parties involved it would be best not to post it on a message board.