Maryville vs William Blount

GovMan

So who do you like in this one?  Lady Govs rolled in the  first match up, but then less than a week later, Maryville knocks off Bearden and WB loses to Farragut.  The WB girls looked about as good as I've seen them look on Tuesday night against Hardin Valley.  Not only did they shoot the basketball well, their defense was stifling.

When the two teams played earlier, Maryville was playing their third game in five days.  Well, this time, that's the case with WB.  They had HV on Tuesday and play Lenoir City in a make up game tonight (Thursday).

Looking forward to a great game between two good teams.  If anyone else is out there, let me know what you think!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

William Blount is a solid team, but to say they are EASILY top 2 teams in East TN is laughable

It's not really. They are loaded with talent And young talent. The key is if they play well. They can beat anyone in the state ....they only trailed Blackman by 6 with 2 minutes left in 3rd qtr and trailed by 1 at half. A couple little tweaks here and there which I think are slowly being implemented down the stretch and we will be very hard to beat. Remember 10 of these girls on an AAU team that beat the Flight and were runner up in AAU State Championship. Against teams mixed with the best from the top teams in the area.

Edited by etnhoops

It's not really. They are loaded with talent And young talent. The key is if they play well. They can beat anyone in the state ....they only trailed Blackman by 6 with 2 minutes left in 3rd qtr and trailed by 1 at half. A couple little tweaks here and there which I think are slowly being implemented down the stretch and we will be very hard to beat. Remember 10 of these girls on an AAU team that beat the Flight and were runner up in AAU State Championship. Against teams mixed with the best from the top teams in the area.

To be considered one of the best you have to be consistent and William blount hasn't been that. I don't care if your down 6 with 2 minutes to go in the 4th if you lose by 27 pts. They will play great one week and then the next lose to a team by double digits that they beat earlier in the year. I can name 3 teams in NE Tn that are more consistent and better teams off the top of my head. Like I said before they are solid team but to say they are Easily the top 2 in East Tn when your that inconsistent is funny

To be considered one of the best you have to be consistent and William blount hasn't been that. I don't care if your down 6 with 2 minutes to go in the 4th if you lose by 27 pts. They will play great one week and then the next lose to a team by double digits that they beat earlier in the year. I can name 3 teams in NE Tn that are more consistent and better teams off the top of my head. Like I said before they are solid team but to say they are Easily the top 2 in East Tn when your that inconsistent is funny

One time the entire season Swipes did WB "lose to a team by double digits that they beat earlier in the year." Not a real strong defense of your lack of consistency argument.  From the start of the season through the Christmas tournaments they were 13 -4 (with losses to Blackman;Morgan Park,  a Chicago area team that is one of the best in Illinois;  Elizabeth Seaton, which is one of Maryland's better girls programs; and to a pretty decent Cookville team). Since the start of 2016, they've gone 8 -2 (losses to Bearden and Farragut).  This season they have wins over Bradley Central, McMinn Central, twice over Maryville, twice over Hardin Valley, they beat Cookville in rematch ...).  The Lady Govs program is still on its way up. They still have to earn the right to be considered an elite program in ET but your consistency argument doesn't hold water. Better come up with something else!

Edited by GovMan

One time the entire season Swipes did WB "lose to a team by double digits that they beat earlier in the year." Not a real strong defense of your lack of consistency argument. The Lady Govs program is still on its way up. They still have to earn the right to be considered an elite program in ET but your consistency argument doesn't hold water. Better come up with something else!

So you see losing to Bearden by 12, beating Maryville by 17, and then turning around any losing by 17 to Farragut all in a week as consistent basketball play? How about beating an average at best Lenoir City team by 6 when you had crushed them earlier in the year?

I've already said William Blount is a Solid basketball team but when someone says they are EASILY top 2 teams in East TN, when in fact they aren't top 2 in NE Tn let alone East Tn. Morristown West, Elizabethton, and South Greene are all more consistent and have wins over team that William Blount had lost to by Double digits

I see that scenario you're describing happening one time all year. Please look back at the edit that I did in that post you quoted for my argument.  Your original post made it sound like they had done that all year Swipes.  The Lenoir City game was a "trap game" sandwiched between Hardin Valley and Maryville, and they found a way to win, which is what good teams do.  WB overall this year has been very consistent ... their 20-6 (11-2) record backs that up.

I, by the way, did not say they are "Easily top 2 in East Tennessee".   I hope WB gets an opportunity to play an Elizabethton or Mo West.  It will be a good measuring stick for our young team.   We still have a ways to go but we're excited.