State Tournament Day 1

Bump11

Both his parents said he could continue wrestling last night as did the wrestler and medical personell, actually apologized to Russo and his parents in person. The coach should be ashamed of himself to want to win that way. I dislike the rule to begin with because it is so much of a judgement call, yet you can suplex someone and not get called on anything but it can lead to broken neck and also concussions. Sadly though it has cost someone a quest in a 3-peat and to me lost any respect in this sport for the coach and I wouldn't let either of my two sons wrestle for him!   And yes I watched the match and that wasnt a slam, it was a hard put down back to the mat.

Edited by cobrakid8

As bad as cheating if kid was cleared.

Again the training staff has probably never seen this kid so they are talking to the wrestler to see if he felt like he could and do some initial stuff. The physical symptoms may not have happened. Until you know the story do not judge the wrestler or coaching staff. Only they know the real story

Both his parents said he could continue wrestling last night as did the wrestler and medical personell, actually apologized to Russo and his parents in person. The coach should be ashamed of himself to want to win that way. I dislike the rule to begin with because it is so much of a judgement call, yet you can suplex someone and not get called on anything but it can lead to broken neck and also concussions. Sadly though it has cost someone a quest in a 3-peat and to me lost any respect in this sport for the coach and I wouldn't let either of my two sons wrestle for him! I guess no Howell System wrestling camp for my kids!  And yes I watched the match and that wasnt a slam, it was a hard put down back to the mat.

Knowing this it changes everything and as a whole we are truly sorry to Russo and the Soddy program. Now we know we need to change the rules

And I don't Blame the Johnson kid at all, he was put into a tough spot and I wish him all the luck in this tournament and in life. I am sure Russo will continue to fight through the bracket and that also shows a lot of heart and what he is made of!  If wrestling wants to get tough and worry about concussions, maybe they should stop a match when an concussion protocol should take place. Complete the protocol which can take up to 15 minutes and once completed if fit to wrestle on then match should take place continuing on from where it was stopped. I fear concussions in all sports, but it shouldn't change the total outcome of any match to the point that it has, just imagine the outrage that would take place if this wasn't just the TSSAA championships but the NCAA finals? Keep the kids safe but also keep the integrity of the sport!

And I don't Blame the Johnson kid at all, he was put into a tough spot and I wish him all the luck in this tournament and in life. I am sure Russo will continue to fight through the bracket and that also shows a lot of heart and what he is made of!  If wrestling wants to get tough and worry about concussions, maybe they should stop a match when an concussion protocol should take place. Complete the protocol which can take up to 15 minutes and once completed if fit to wrestle on then match should take place continuing on from where it was stopped. I fear concussions in all sports, but it shouldn't change the total outcome of any match to the point that it has, just imagine the outrage that would take place if this wasn't just the TSSAA championships but the NCAA finals? Keep the kids safe but also keep the integrity of the sport!

They do, if the official or coach sees a kid with any concussion symptom by rule they are suppose to stop the match, and the wrestler is not allowed to return until signed off by a MD

I am talking about doing the protocol and once passed the match coming back and being wrestled from the point it was at. If a coach at that time decides that his wrestler will not continue it would be a forfeit as it allows the medical team full time to perform the protocol and either clear the wrestler or not. If the wrestler is not cleared and it was ruled illegal then the match is won by the hurt wrestler, however if passes protocol he either wrestles or forfeits. This makes it all a medical opinion by a MD and not a coach. Like I said at that time the match either continues at the point in which the contact was made and stopped or the match is ruled for the hurt wrestler or if coach decides his wrestler cannot return or wrestler decides he cannot return even if cleared, the other wrestler wins.

I am talking about doing the protocol and once passed the match coming back and being wrestled from the point it was at. If a coach at that time decides that his wrestler will not continue it would be a forfeit as it allows the medical team full time to perform the protocol and either clear the wrestler or not. If the wrestler is not cleared and it was ruled illegal then the match is won by the hurt wrestler, however if passes protocol he either wrestles or forfeits. This makes it all a medical opinion by a MD and not a coach. Like I said at that time the match either continues at the point in which the contact was made and stopped or the match is ruled for the hurt wrestler or if coach decides his wrestler cannot return or wrestler decides he cannot return even if cleared, the other wrestler wins.

Then you will see wrestlers being taught to say they can not continue. There will always be a loop hole in this. You just hope people are doing this sport for the right reasons

No, it puts everything to the MD, which is what their job is and the reason they are on site, this takes it out of the wrestlers hands and the coaches! If the MD signs off either the wrestler chooses to wrestle or if he decides not to he forfeits to the other wrestler. Concussions in wrestling happen quite a bit less then those in most other sports, Soccer is way worse as is football, I think it wouldn't be to hard to have an MD complete concussion protocol on a hurt wrestler and decide if he can continue or not. Again it takes it out of the wrestlers and coaches hands and puts it where it belongs in the MD's.

In the Rule book it talks about Unethical Behavior should not be allowed in sports.  If this story is true that the kid was given the go by Medical Staff and all were OK for match to continue but the Coach. It is then Unethical on his part to take a win like this.  Here TSSAA should investigate and hold the Coach accountable for his actions.  A win this way is not a win.  If his wrestler could not beat the better wrestler and was not injured he should not advance.  The Coach should be held accountable and possibly lose his privilege of Coaching because of the things he is not doing.

No, it puts everything to the MD, which is what their job is and the reason they are on site, this takes it out of the wrestlers hands and the coaches! If the MD signs off either the wrestler chooses to wrestle or if he decides not to he forfeits to the other wrestler. Concussions in wrestling happen quite a bit less then those in most other sports, Soccer is way worse as is football, I think it wouldn't be to hard to have an MD complete concussion protocol on a hurt wrestler and decide if he can continue or not. Again it takes it out of the wrestlers and coaches hands and puts it where it belongs in the MD's.

What is the plan then? If it can take up to 72 hours for symptoms to appear and take hours to have MRIs and CT scans you will be having week long tournaments. Bad concussions happen less, but they still happen. In 2012 wrestling had a 5.8% concussion rate in the nation. If there are 10,000 wrestlers that is 580 wrestlers who receive one. That is a lot