Smyrna's coach should be ashamed

taketop

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/2/18/318321/No-Surprise-Bradley-Leading-AAA-State.aspx

Brad Laxton is a Trojan assistant and was much more outspoken than Henry.

“That Smyrna coach is nothing more than a coward.  His kid was getting totally dominated at the time.  The trainer said he was okay and the kid said he was ready to continue, but that wasn’t the choice the coach made,†Laxton added, still fuming over the unfortunate turn of events.

Edited by cobrakid8

The national federation should tweak the rule to say that if a wrestler accepts any type of injury default the wrestler that accepts the default must not compete for 24 hours.

I think you are on to something here... 

How many "injuries" cannot be overcome in the recovery time but be okay to wrestle in 45 minutes or the next morning? Typically if you are injured now, it will be the same for the next match and the rest of the tournament. 

I know people can come up with examples but not many valid examples.

Edited by Irish99

Neither Smyrna's coach nor the Smyrna wrestler created this situation; the situation was created when one of the wrestlers chose to use an illegal and potentially dangerous move.  If the Soddy kid was such a far superior wrestler, perhaps he shouldn't have slammed his opponent.  I didn't see what happened, but there is rarely a need to slam, especially an inferior wrestler.  This is unfortunate, but my view is that if you break the rules, you flirt with the dq, simple as that.  

Neither Smyrna's coach nor the Smyrna wrestler created this situation; the situation was created when one of the wrestlers chose to use an illegal and potentially dangerous move.  If the Soddy kid was such a far superior wrestler, perhaps he shouldn't have slammed his opponent.  I didn't see what happened, but there is rarely a need to slam, especially an inferior wrestler.  This is unfortunate, but my view is that if you break the rules, you flirt with the dq, simple as that.

You're comments are illogical and must be a Smyrna coach.

The coach could have forfeited the match even if his kid couldn't continue. Tell the official to blow the whistle then blow it again because we are forfeiting. It could have been handled honorably.  If the slam had been malicious with the intent to hurt the kid then by all means, take the forfeit.  This, however, was not the case.  For God's sake, Have some respect for the sport and doing the right thing instead of the easy thing.

Yogi Anderson did that once in a similar situation when he was the head coach for Notre Dame. He had his injured kid go back to center mat, get in the start position with the other wrestler and told the ref to blow the whistle.  As soon as the ref blew the whistle, Yogi called time, stopped the match and forfeited, giving the win to the other kid. If the reports of what happened on this board are true (and, as we all know sometimes they are not, though this has gotten better since Bear Cat Brown retired), the Smyrna coach is really bush league.

• Upvote 1

Maybe you should watch the match sometime or actually be there to know what you are talking about. Sadly referees in TN are not very good as a whole, and sadly this is another one of those times when a bad call was made, just like the handing out of stalling calls like candy! This was some malicious slam, heck I wouldn't have even called it a slam, however since the wussification of wrestling that has taken place for the past few years where you have to help your fellow wrestler and their dress this was called as a slam!