Smyrna's coach should be ashamed

taketop

This dive taken against Russo was as cowardly thing as has happened in recent memory.  Wrestling is supposed to be about what is earned and not given.  I don't blame the kid. he is just that, a kid.  I imagine the Smyrna coach wasn't very good if he wrestled at all.  Someone who had paid the price that Russo has paid to be the quality wrestler he is would never allow a kid who didn't to lay down and get a victory they didn't earn.  I hope he loses sleep for a long time, but I doubt he will because anyone that would do something so pathetic probably is just that.  What lesson was taught?  I imagine Russo will be ok. He is a stand up kid who at worst learned life is not fair and sometimes gutless cowards win in the short term.  The entire Smyrna program should be ashamed of the actions of their coach and understand if they want to be contenders they need to pay the price and not wait on an opportunity to be given what they haven't earned.

What exactly happened?

People have stories on what they think happened but there are only a couple who know exactly what happened. The Smyrna staff, the Soddy staff, the two wrestlers, and the trainers. Other than that just sit back and watch what everybody swears they know 100% for fact from sitting in the stands.

The way to combat this issue, if this is 100% truth, is that if the kid has to forfeit the match at the trainers or coaches request he must forfeit the next as well, or even the remainder of the tourney.

The coach could have forfeited the match even if his kid couldn't continue. Tell the official to blow the whistle then blow it again because we are forfeiting. It could have been handled honorably.  If the slam had been malicious with the intent to hurt the kid then by all means, take the forfeit.  This, however, was not the case.  For God's sake, Have some respect for the sport and doing the right thing instead of the easy thing.

People have stories on what they think happened but there are only a couple who know exactly what happened. The Smyrna staff, the Soddy staff, the two wrestlers, and the trainers. Other than that just sit back and watch what everybody swears they know 100% for fact from sitting in the stands.

The way to combat this issue, if this is 100% truth, is that if the kid has to forfeit the match at the trainers or coaches request he must forfeit the next as well, or even the remainder of the tourney.

There's a quote from a Soddy Assistant in the Chattanoogan.com.