Smyrna's coach should be ashamed

taketop

I thought the call was absolutely correct. I spoke with two Chattanooga coaches who hated it for Russo and also a friend of Mr Russo's who said Mr Russo himself said he could agree with the slam call. Obviously nobody agreed with the coaches decision. also I agree with Karelin, Sells missed out as well as it would have been a good match.

Former long time SD coach said it was the right call.  Its interesting when the official doesnt make the correct call in this situation and the kid cant continue this board fills up with "the ref should have stopped it earlier...... ."

This is not a question of officiating or wrestling,

this was a question of honor.

Edited by reftn

Not that this would have any bearing on this particular call,,,, it wouldn't, but assistant refs should be in the senior roll like NY, MI, KS, IA, CA and elsewhere. They Can See the Forrest for the trees and can overrule in these more traditionally entrenched areas.

No ref can overrule a coach if he says his kid cannot continue.

I was lucky enough to see this match. I'm certainly not as knowledgeable as many on this thread.  

It was a slam. The only problem I saw with the whole thing is if the kid could not continue how , by rule , can he then advance? Cant continue should mean can't continue. I think the spirit of the rule is  to have kids that may be down on the scoreboard to not have a motive to hurt someone in order to advance. I get that. But when you put this in the hands of coaches to make that call not all coaches will react with any other motivation but to do whatever they can to advance their kid. Its a side of our sport that can get ugly, but for some its all about the W and integrity is not a major determining factor ,as it should be.

Edited by wantitbad

The decision by the Smyrna COACH was a selfish act that achieved nothing, gained nothing, and did nothing to improve the possibilities for his wrestler (don't think he won another match afterwards?) A bad situation for both wrestlers involved.

And No it was not a win over Russo.

The only thing this very poor decision accomplished was preventing a young man from potentially completing a historic season (undefeated and not allowing an offensive point) as well as eliminating the opportunity for one of the other athletes to legitimately end Russo's run.

Truly a sad situation and a very poor display of judgement and character!!!

Has a Tennessee wrestler ever completed an undefeated season without giving up an offensive point?

The decision by the Smyrna COACH was a selfish act that achieved nothing, gained nothing, and did nothing to improve the possibilities for his wrestler (don't think he won another match afterwards?) A bad situation for both wrestlers involved.

And No it was not a win over Russo.

The only thing this very poor decision accomplished was preventing a young man from potentially completing a historic season (undefeated and not allowing an offensive point) as well as eliminating the opportunity for one of the other athletes to legitimately end Russo's run.

Truly a sad situation and a very poor display of judgement and character!!!

Has a Tennessee wrestler ever completed an undefeated season without giving up an offensive point?

Sammy Evans of Alcoa did it this year, while beating the number 13 wrestler in the nation. I believe Ryan Parker of Baylor also did the same.

Neither Smyrna's coach nor the Smyrna wrestler created this situation; the situation was created when one of the wrestlers chose to use an illegal and potentially dangerous move. If the Soddy kid was such a far superior wrestler, perhaps he shouldn't have slammed his opponent. I didn't see what happened, but there is rarely a need to slam, especially an inferior wrestler. This is unfortunate, but my view is that if you break the rules, you flirt with the dq, simple as that.

word to the wise... If you don't see something, There is no purpose on giving your opinion on it.

Further, he wasn't DQ'd because of the slam. He was DQ'd because his coach told him not to wrestle (even though the trainer and the wrestler said he could continue). There are illegal holds and potential dangerous calls in many matches in tournament. If the wrestler can continue, the referee breaks them up and the match goes on. So to say that the Smyrna coach didn't cause this is 100% inaccurate.