Watering down the PRIZE

In Hoc Signo Vinces

Baylor arguably has pockets just as deep as Ensworth...FRHS has kept up with them just fine.

I think a feeder program is even more important than money, and right now Ensworth's MS is virtually nonexistent. I'd wager that you put 14 first year "athletes" against the seasoned wrestlers Baylor and the Irish produce and Ensworth doesn't win a match

Look at what FR & Pat Simpson did with an athlete at 285.  Darvin only wrestled for 1.5 seasons and he won a state championship by defeating the defending state champion.  Like I said you give a good coaching staff some athletes and it will not take them long to win.  What would the FR coaching staff do with the athletes walking the halls at Ensworth?  Give Pat Simpson and his staff 2 years at Ensworth and they compete for a state championship.

Edited by cbg

Look at what FR & Pat Simpson did with an athlete at 285. Darvin only wrestled for 1.5 seasons and he won a state championship by defeating the defending state champion. Like I said you give a good coaching staff some athletes and it will not take them long to win. What would the FR coaching staff do with the athletes walking the halls at Ensworth? Give Pat Simpson and his staff 2 years at Ensworth and they compete for a state championship.

I see what you're saying, but Darvin was also in a room crawling with defending state champions. According to his coach, he practiced with 2x state champ Ben Stacey every day. Plus, the kid is a genetic freak of nature who obviously also has an incredible work ethic to boot.

Point being, you can have 50 kids who run a 4.4 40 in the room but if they aren't drilling and going live with experienced wrestlers every day, all the coaching in the world won't be enough to compete with the kids Baylor and Ryan put out every year

Edited by D2Wrestling

Look at what FR & Pat Simpson did with an athlete at 285. Darvin only wrestled for 1.5 seasons and he won a state championship by defeating the defending state champion. Like I said you give a good coaching staff some athletes and it will not take them long to win. What would the FR coaching staff do with the athletes walking the halls at Ensworth? Give Pat Simpson and his staff 2 years at Ensworth and they compete for a state championship.

I would somewhat agree with you CBG. But I'd say 3 years provided the right staff was in place. It also takes more than just good athletes. Wrestling is too difficult for most good athletes. They usually quit out of humiliation. It takes someone with an incredible work ethic and that can take getting their butt whipped by lesser athletes for at least 1.5 years. Those athletes are rare, but they are out there. After 2 years they turn the corner. So getting started would require quite a few freshmen.

Edited by Newestguy

There is a difference between Novice and Beginner.  If it is your very first time waling onto the mat and never been around the sport that is very different than going out with sum knowledge. 

Also try it from an area that has no wrestling around, out in the country is not the same situation as areas of cities.  Then distance to compete is a whole different topic.   When you have to travel great distances your parent support is going to be limited especially in the building stages.[/quote

Seems like you are parsing lines. There are numerous attributes that enable a program to achieve success, the most important are communal support and the aspect of the student athlete buying into what the coaches are selling (obviously Darvin did with the Ryan staff). Can you explain the difference between novice and beginner, excuse my ignorance but I don't understand nor recognize the difference

There is a difference between Novice and Beginner.  If it is your very first time waling onto the mat and never been around the sport that is very different than going out with sum knowledge. 

Also try it from an area that has no wrestling around, out in the country is not the same situation as areas of cities.  Then distance to compete is a whole different topic.   When you have to travel great distances your parent support is going to be limited especially in the building stages.[/quote

Seems like you are parsing lines. There are numerous attributes that enable a program to achieve success, the most important are communal support and the aspect of the student athlete buying into what the coaches are selling (obviously Darvin did with the Ryan staff). Can you explain the difference between novice and beginner, excuse my ignorance but I don't understand nor recognize the difference

A novice wrestler has sum knowledge and has had exposure to the sport.  A true beginner is what it states, not ever wrestled and has had no prior knowledge.

Baylor arguably has pockets just as deep as Ensworth...FRHS has kept up with them just fine.

I think a feeder program is even more important than money, and right now Ensworth's MS is virtually nonexistent. I'd wager that you put 14 first year "athletes" against the seasoned wrestlers Baylor and the Irish produce and Ensworth doesn't win a match

I'm with you. Ensworth would have an up hill climb and it would take several years for them to begin to compete with Father Ryan. For anyone thinking money alone and a big football program would make a championship wrestling team, take a look at Maryville. Great football program, school has money to burn but with the exception of a handful of kids over the years a pretty crummy wrestling program. I guess one could argue Maryville isn't " serious " about wrestling but I doubt Ensworth would be much different.

You are correct in that if Ensworth ever decides to get serious about wrestling it will be over for every team in Tennessee and you can just mail the state championship trophy to Bellevue.  Early last summer there were rumors beginning to swirl around that Ensworth athletic director Ricky Bowers was going after a wrestling coach from Tennessee that has been ultra successful and would be willing to pay 6 figures to hire him along with providing him with 2 great assistant coaches.  For whatever reason the rumor died after about 6 weeks.  With Ensworth you never know what they are going to do.  They may very well make another run at that same coach before he signs a contract with his current school or they may go after a successful coach from one of the northern or Midwestern states.

With that philosophy what has happened to McCallie.