Van Buren vs Grace Christian

KnoxMoJo

Yes sir I understand gca. It said the shot 55 and actually shot better from the field than vb. Shot 55% from the foul line. It also said vb 23 made free throws to grace 5. That is a big difference. Like I said earlier. Imo just think the refs should let them play. Let the game be physical but call the obvious fouls. Both are great teams. Vb just had better game when it counted. You talking about playing vb next year. That would be tough they have same team back

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't get my pride hurt I have no problem with you saying Clay is better they may very well be, Clay is a very talented team. I've never said anything different, my problem was and still is that you said they are "23 points guaranteed" better. If Clay is better it is most certainly not by 23 points. As i said it doesn't matter though VB took care of their business today and it won't matter if you think Clay is 50 points better if they don't win tomorrow.

You keep saying if Clay is better. It's fact: Clay is better hands down between to the two. Even if Clay loses today they are still better than VB hands down.

To prove my point even further VB hasn't beat Clay since the 07-08 season. But hey 14-0 including 30 and 16 point wins this season "Clay might only be better". Oh the tomfoolery gives me chuckle. Either way congrats on the W.

Edited by Shozen

At least Shozen acknowledges the fact that VB can win games. Uc sports fan has said that playing our girls in the state tourney would "be like playing their jv" and he was definitely wrong there. I predicted our boys would beat Jackson County in the sectional (they did, by 13) and he acted like I was crazy saying there was no way because they had blown us out by 40 before (which was also definitely not true). But anyhow. Proving people wrong is a great feeling.

VanBuren beat Jackson County because they play in that weak region which enables them to have home court in the substate. Had the game been played in Gainesboro JC would have won by 30. It wasn't VB won the one game they had to to advance and I already congratulated them on it. I never said there was no way VanBuren would win I actually said it will be very hard to beat them at home in a substate game but I thought JC would win. Didn't take into account the refereeing would be as one sided as it was. It definitely gave them the win. So keep your mouth shut about me unless you're going to tell the whole truth not just part of it.

Edited by UCSportsFan

After having some time, and a few hours sleep, here are my thoughts.  I'm a casual Grace fan with no direct ties to the team.

First, congrats to VB.  At this point, the win is what matters at this point in the season.  

Of the few games I saw Grace play this year, that was by far the worst I saw them play.  Other than Ledford in the 1st half and Walker in the 2nd half, the rest of the team didn't have  a good game.  Not sure if VB normally plays zone, but that did seem to keep Grace out of sync on offense much of the night.  Arnold hardly seeing the floor also really hurt against the zone since so much of the offense would normally go thru him at the high post.  I thought a few more calls went VB's way overall, but Grace did get a couple calls in the 2nd half that evened it up a little.  Watching the game and reading 12thman's comments, I really think that one official made it personal against Arnold.  At least 2 of the fouls called on him were touch fouls at best and should have been no calls.  One was just 2 post players bodied up against each other.  Players on both sides were doing that on both ends, but he was the only one called for it.

Mills is impressive.  With his size and range, it is tough for an average sized guard to contain him outside and then he has a good size advantage when he goes in and posts up.  Roberts also has good range.  Not taking anything away from the rest of the team, but VB will win or lose with those 2 players.

Depending on how much BTW wants to play, VB has a chance against them.  What I saw of BTW, they didn't run much of an offense at all and mostly just did enough to win.  I would call it uninspired basketball.

To you VB fans:  You guys traveled well and made it a good, loud atmosphere.  A couple of us noticed how many of your fans were clapping for the GCA players during player introductions.  That is appreciated and an example of good sportsmanship.  I wish all fans on all sides would do that out of respect for these kids.

Again, congratulations and good luck against BTW.

Give you that

Arnold and Ledford easily our best shooters and with Arnold out it put a lot of pressure on other guys not use to having to do that much shooting. Arnold shoots over 33 games like 48% so.......no argument the team as a whole did not shoot great. Walker made some big shots tonight but didnt see the box score yet. Didnt feel like we got 55 shots. Felt like we got 55 fouls lol

So is Van Buren up forca home and home next year with us?

by any chance do you know which official made the call on the sleeves?

This was the officiating crew for the game.

Officials: Charles White, Chris Cline, Larry Whaley

I know many officials but did not know that crew must have been from middle or west tn. But the guy that put the screws to my kid was the tall bald guy. I was an official for many years and I notice things. Many times I had to take another ref aside and say listen this is a three man rotation not a 1man and 2 other guys. There was one ref that was just happy to be there punching a ticket, one short ref that was the younger one and he seemed to be interested in enjoying the game and his job and then there was Sgt Carter who wanted everyone to understand he was in charge. Glad you gave me their names......and if they are reading this just ask me for my phone number and I'll be glad to say to your face what I think of your performance yesterday. 

As far as anyone saying typical GCA poster, I invite anyone to look at my post over the history of CoachT and if you feel I am a HOMER then fine. I stand on my objectivity with my own kids and being considerate and fair to all others. Listen, this is a game and life moves on. I just love sports and I love kids. Yesterday an adult official screwed up the state quarterfinal for one kid and in result a whole team was hurt. But there is more than my kid on the team.  He is going to have bad games and it's not all about him in my world. In my world you have a team and that team has to pickup the slack when crap happens for the leaders. My advice to all our kids including my own. If you want to cry about losing then get your butts in the gym every extra minute you have to work on your games. Xbox, girls, hunting, fishing, swimming, going to the mall and any other distracting stuff is exactly that. NON CONTRIBUTING to your basketball growth and ability.

If you want to know why Connor is good, yes, being 6-8 helps but I have a $2,000 goal in my driveway and that kid has worked his but off since he was 8 years old. I never had to tell him to work and most nights had to tell him to give it a rest. So for that I am proud  of him. To him basketball is like his best friend. He loves it. Every minute of it. And if you watch him play against other players it shows. He is kind, considerate, and complimentary even in defeat. Read what he said in the paper today about Ledford. He was thrilled and thankful the freshman came through on a day when Slim just could not. I am most proud that he had his teammates back in a tough personal loss for him.

I lose more than I win in life. But I also have a long memory of who cost me those losses. What goes around comes around. In another year he will be gone from secondary athletics and lord willing playing at the next level living his dream. I wish that for any kid that wants it but even more for the ones willing to work and want.  Work hard, play through, fight back and enjoy the high moments. You are either a committed year round player or you are an in season casual participant. Either is fine. But don't expect the deepest rides with the most casual approaches. I would be willing to bet Mills of Van Buren eats, sleeps, and lives basketball. I'd love to have him over to the house sometime and I bet Connor would too. On to Next year. Go Rams 

Hey I am the one who had to watch his son play 7 mins in this game. Im just not going to get into it but I would have rather had the officiating crew from the East game. These 3 guys butchered this game. If people want to go to the glass house to watch 40 fouls called then fine. Have your day and enjoy it. Sour grapes? Yes I hurt for my kid and the whole team.

Kudos to Mills on a big night we played horrible close out D on him and we scored 6 points in our first 13 possesions. And we missed free throws and shots that could have won it through out the game.

Do you realize Arnold played wirh sports leggings on the whole year for 33 games!!! A ref made him go change and take them off 3 mins before tipoff and that was the same ref that hit him with his first two fouls in the first Q. Then hit him with 3 of his 4 fouls. So does that mean for 33 games the refs were incompetent on such a massively important wardrobe issue? Cmon TSSAA that is crap to not enforce something all year and then enforce it at state? And really i dont care about that it is just the mentality of the crew. He was singled out from the start. Anyone who watched this game tell me if I am wrong?

That's weak. "That mean ol referee didn't like my little boy. He made him take his illegal leggings off, so it's obvious he hates my little boy!" Give me a freaking break.

BTW that's a NFHS rule, not a TSSAA rule. Shame on that ref for knowing the rulebook and doing his job, no matter how stupid the rule is.

That's weak. "That mean ol referee didn't like my little boy. He made him take his illegal leggings off, so it's obvious he hates my little boy!" Give me a freaking break.

BTW that's a NFHS rule, not a TSSAA rule. Shame on that ref for knowing the rulebook and doing his job, no matter how stupid the rule is.

Maybe so Like I said I don't care about that he enforced a rule, I care that the rule was never enforced until an important game. Probably should have just left that part out. I am more upset he just didn't a get a fair shake yesterday. Maybe sour grapes but I can show you about 30 text to me today from other coaches and people that said tough break yesterday. 

Don't mean to come off as a whiner. Probably am.....just disappointing. I do wish Van Buren luck Friday....I hold no grudge against them. It was just unfortunate day. 

Edited by 12thmanGCA

I know many officials but did not know that crew must have been from middle or west tn. But the guy that put the screws to my kid was the tall bald guy. I was an official for many years and I notice things. Many times I had to take another ref aside and say listen this is a three man rotation not a 1man and 2 other guys. There was one ref that was just happy to be there punching a ticket, one short ref that was the younger one and he seemed to be interested in enjoying the game and his job and then there was Sgt Carter who wanted everyone to understand he was in charge. Glad you gave me their names......and if they are reading this just ask me for my phone number and I'll be glad to say to your face what I think of your performance yesterday.

As far as anyone saying typical GCA poster, I invite anyone to look at my post over the history of CoachT and if you feel I am a HOMER then fine. I stand on my objectivity with my own kids and being considerate and fair to all others. Listen, this is a game and life moves on. I just love sports and I love kids. Yesterday an adult official screwed up the state quarterfinal for one kid and in result a whole team was hurt. But there is more than my kid on the team. He is going to have bad games and it's not all about him in my world. In my world you have a team and that team has to pickup the slack when crap happens for the leaders. My advice to all our kids including my own. If you want to cry about losing then get your butts in the gym every extra minute you have to work on your games. Xbox, girls, hunting, fishing, swimming, going to the mall and any other distracting stuff is exactly that. NON CONTRIBUTING to your basketball growth and ability.

If you want to know why Connor is good, yes, being 6-8 helps but I have a $2,000 goal in my driveway and that kid has worked his but off since he was 8 years old. I never had to tell him to work and most nights had to tell him to give it a rest. So for that I am proud of him. To him basketball is like his best friend. He loves it. Every minute of it. And if you watch him play against other players it shows. He is kind, considerate, and complimentary even in defeat. Read what he said in the paper today about Ledford. He was thrilled and thankful the freshman came through on a day when Slim just could not. I am most proud that he had his teammates back in a tough personal loss for him.

I lose more than I win in life. But I also have a long memory of who cost me those losses. What goes around comes around. In another year he will be gone from secondary athletics and lord willing playing at the next level living his dream. I wish that for any kid that wants it but even more for the ones willing to work and want. Work hard, play through, fight back and enjoy the high moments. You are either a committed year round player or you are an in season casual participant. Either is fine. But don't expect the deepest rides with the most casual approaches. I would be willing to bet Mills of Van Buren eats, sleeps, and lives basketball. I'd love to have him over to the house sometime and I bet Connor would too. On to Next year. Go Rams

Great post. Thank you for it.

Is your son a Junior?

Edited by Bigboi20