Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

1 hour ago, Appvol said:

Was looking at the Fargo brackets Mason Jakob 1st match is against Cameron Stinson from NC. Stinson is committed to UNC. Stinson is a 3 time champ and hasn’t lost during his high school season.

Mason is going to be sophomore next year so I’m surprised to see him in juniors. 

11 hours ago, oceansize42 said:

Mason is going to be sophomore next year so I’m surprised to see him in juniors. 

I was also, prob just getting him the best of the best with competition, but I thought the same thing when I saw him on the bracket in juniors instead of U16 since he just finished his freshman year.  Good luck to all the TN boys and girls up there representing our great state, proud of each and every one of you for testing yourselves against the best that is out there.   Huge Congrats to Piper for bringing home a national championship already from Fargo!

I also love this from Flo with their preview of U16.

Also Going To Have A Great Tournament: Tennessee and Georgia

While I don't think they have the numbers to really make a push, Tennessee and Georgia are going to have a great tournament. They both have a legitimate shot at getting multiple champs.

Ace Chittum is a pick to win the 88lb class.  Tran a pick to place at 100, Jojo in the deepest weight class of the U16 tourney at 113, Max Norman a pick to be a finalist at 160.  Some strong TN contingent in the U16 freestyle brackets

Edited by cobrakid8
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Appvol said:

Was hoping Jakob would win. He lost 14-6 to Stinson 

Stinson is 145-0 with another year of high school wrestling left. Closest match this year to Owen Rawls a Virginia state champ that Stinson won in OT 8-6 after being down 4-0. Besides that his closest match was a 5-1 win over another North Carolina state champ.  As a sophomore he had a few close matches, twice against the kid he beat in state finals, first match was 6-5 over Cooper Davis who he beat for state title 6-2. Another against Virginia state champ Nininger 5-1.  As a freshman he was highly dominant with his closest match being 7-0 against Cooper Davis, poor Davis prob wished he had found a different weight class those 2 years, but finally moved up and won a state title this past year at 126. 

1 hour ago, Appvol said:

Was hoping Jakob would win. He lost 14-6 to Stinson 

Tough first round for sure.  A lot of work to get to the podium.  At these tournaments you never know, my son and I were at one of the biggest national tournaments and he wrestled two kids who ultimately AA'd in hist first two rounds (round 1 and consolation round 1).  The seeded kid who lost in the first round got caught and pinned and ended up in the back draw.  LoL, good times, long trip for some quick lessons.

I think Mason has the talent to make it though, I remember Hunter Mason lost his first or second match at Super 32 and came all the way back to make the podium.

Edited by oceansize42
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

Stinson is 145-0 with another year of high school wrestling left. Closest match this year to Owen Rawls a Virginia state champ that Stinson won in OT 8-6 after being down 4-0. Besides that his closest match was a 5-1 win over another North Carolina state champ.  As a sophomore he had a few close matches, twice against the kid he beat in state finals, first match was 6-5 over Cooper Davis who he beat for state title 6-2. Another against Virginia state champ Nininger 5-1.  As a freshman he was highly dominant with his closest match being 7-0 against Cooper Davis, poor Davis prob wished he had found a different weight class those 2 years, but finally moved up and won a state title this past year at 126. 

I know who Stinson is. I wrestled in NC. Wrestled at the same high school as App St coach.

19 hours ago, Appvol said:

I know who Stinson is. I wrestled in NC. Wrestled at the same high school as App St coach.

Moreso for those here in TN to show who he is. Of course senior vs a sophomore, but Stinson has been a stud for a very long time and I will be interested to see if he AA's at Fargo this year. I looked him up and he seems like a great kid with a very bright future. Taking AP classes and has a 3.7 GPA getting ready for UNC. Very tough 1st round draw for Mason! 

4 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

Moreso for those here in TN to show who he is. Of course senior vs a sophomore, but Stinson has been a stud for a very long time and I will be interested to see if he AA's at Fargo this year. I looked him up and he seems like a great kid with a very bright future. Taking AP classes and has a 3.7 GPA getting ready for UNC. Very tough 1st round draw for Mason! 

For sure. Jakob has a bright future. A lot kids from TN are competing really well up in Fargo.

• Upvote 1

A tidbit from GA for those who care…

Buford senior Gavin Pope has committed to the Campbell University (N.C.) wrestling program.

63f1da16bc4ac.image.jpg?resize=200%2C301

Buford’s Gavin Pope reacts after winning the state title in the 144-pound weight class at the AAAAAAA State Championships at the Macon Coliseum on Saturday afternoon.

David McGregor

• 2 weeks later...

Logan declares…

“I would like to take this opportunity to share with my family and friends that I have decided to continue my academic and athletic career at The United States Air Force Academy. This decision was not easy but I know it is the right one for me. This decision will give me the opportunity to gain an excellent education, to wrestle on a competitive team with great coaches, fly really, really fast in fighter jets, and serve my country. I am grateful for all those who have supported me on this journey and I would like thank my family, my coaches, my friends, and everyone else who has supported me for their guidance, encouragement, and butt kickings along the way. I couldn’t not accomplish any of this without my Savior and Redeemer Jesus Christ.” #commited #airforce

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7VX8FUcv1wRhxuq67

More Blue Raider updates…

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WZKiF49r6GhxN84a6

Edited by soms2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

35b4d8f6-2cfa-4747-a281-8b30a5d5dadc-med
Image via Cleveland City Schools.

It's hard to even fathom what she just accomplished. We talk about state champions, but she is not just a U.S. champion; she is a national champion - out of all the countries in the world, she is number one. We're so proud of her," says Cleveland High School Athletic Director Al Morris.

"The triumph was a moment of pride for the United States, as the American national anthem resonated in the arena for the second time that night, celebrating Team USA's unparalleled success," says Cleveland City Schools.
In recognition of Piper Fowler's achievement, Dr. Russell Dyer, the Director of Schools for Cleveland City Schools, says, “Her journey to becoming a world champion is a testament to her character and the support she receives from her family, coaches, teammates, and the entire Cleveland community. We are so proud to have her represent Cleveland on the international stage.”
Earlier this year, she made history by becoming the first person in the history of TN Girls Wrestling to win the U17 Freestyle National Championship.

https://newschannel9.com/sports/sports-headlines/cleveland-high-school-wrestler-becomes-u17-national-champion-thursday