Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

14 hours ago, texas23 said:

I disagree with point two in this case.  The injury was a broken nose, but I think that was determined later.  

In my youth teenage boys would fight and someone would get a bloody nose and maybe the occasional broken nose.  I stand by my statement that most of todays parents are helicopter parents and the result is kids are not allowed to make mistakes and settle their personal issues with friends while growing up.  Hovering adults are truly ruining todays kids.  

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, cbg said:

In my youth teenage boys would fight and someone would get a bloody nose and maybe the occasional broken nose.  I stand by my statement that most of todays parents are helicopter parents and the result is kids are not allowed to make mistakes and settle their personal issues with friends while growing up.  Hovering adults are truly ruining todays kids.  

I think we are talking about two different things here.  

I am speaking of this particular match.  

I do wonder what mistake the wrestler made, the one that was on the receiving end of the sucker punch. 

this was not even close to what you describe, at least in my view.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
codychittum
Photo: Sam Janicki

Chittum signs with Iowa State

2 days ago

AMES, Iowa -- Iowa State head coach Kevin Dresser announced the addition of Cody Chittum to the program Wednesday afternoon. Chittum was ranked as the No. 1 pound-for-pound high school prospect by FloWrestling after the 2021-22 season.

"Cody is super excited to be an Iowa State Cyclone," Dresser said. "He will bring Cyclone Nation to their feet in the coming years. He's an immediate impact kind of guy and we are excited to get him to Ames."

Chittum brings an impressive list of credentials to Ames. The projected 157-pounder has won Who's Number One, Super 32 - one of the country's most prestigious high school wrestling events - and a junior freestyle national title.

The Tennessee native also took fourth at the U20 men's freestyle world team trials and won gold at the Junior Pan-American Games in Colombia last year. Wrestling unattached, Chittum reached the quarterfinals of the 2022 Southern Scuffle before suffering a high-ankle sprain and medically forfeiting out of the tournament.

Chittum spent his freshman high school season at Blair Academy where he was a Beast of the East champion and a National Prep runner-up. As the pandemic hit, Chittum stayed in Tennessee and enrolled at Cleveland High School, where he won a state title in 2021.

Most recently, Chittum competed on the senior level freestyle circuit and medaled in three events. He earned silver at the Bill Farrell and bronze medals at the Henri Deglane and Egypt Ranking Series.

© The Open Mat 2023
Edited by soms2

Tyler Smith Tabbed Director of Brewton Parker Wrestling and Head Men’s Wrestling Coach

VSN (admin) Published Friday, May 12, 2023 - 10:30 AM 

MOUNT VERNON, Ga. – Vice President of Athletics Chris Dooley has announced the hire of Tyler Smith to take the reins of Brewton-Parker Wrestling as the new Director of Brewton-Parker Wrestling as well as the Head Men's Wrestling Coach.

Smith comes to Mount Vernon, Georgia after previously serving as the Assistant Wrestling Coach at Cumberland University in Lebanon, Tennessee during the last two seasons.

"We are excited to have Tyler Smith join us here at Brewton-Parker," Dooley mentioned. "He comes to us with a great resume, and we believe that he will do some amazing things with both of our wrestling programs."

While at Cumberland, Smith was named the Mid-South Conference Assistant Coach of the Year where he assisted in a pair of top-ten finishes at the NAIA National Tournament during the 2022 and 2023 seasons. He has also coached an NAIA National Champion in Cole Smith while helping the Phoenix produce six NAIA All-Americans and 14 NAIA National Qualifiers.

"I am thrilled about the opportunity to come back to my home state and become the Director of Wrestling here at Brewton-Parker," Smith stated. "I look forward to getting started and to build something great here in Mount Vernon."

Prior to his time in Lebanon, Smith served as the Head Wrestling Coach at Celebration High School in Florida where he led the program for three seasons, producing two FHSAA State Placers and three FHSAA State Qualifiers.

Smith began his collegiate coaching career at Southeastern University in Lakeland, Florida as a Graduate Assistant Coach for the wrestling program. While serving on the coaching staff, Smith helped coach four NAIA All-Americans, 10 NAIA National Qualifiers, and assisted in leading the Fire to a 12th-place finish at the NAIA National Tournament in 2018.

Some of the personal accolades Smith has accumulated as a wrestler has been becoming an NAIA National Qualifier in 2016 for Cumberland where he was also a part of the 2016 Mid-South Conference Championship Team. He was also a GHSA State Individual Runner-Up for Sonoraville High School in 2011.

Brewton-Parker wrestling is actively searching for young men and women to compete at the next level, for anyone interested, please fill out a recruit questionnaire here.

http://www.victorysportsnetwork.com/Clip/news/tyler-smith-tabbed-director-of-brewton-parker-wrestling-and-head-mens-wrestling-coach.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Chase Diehl - Academic All-District

Scott Kane
Chase Diehl

SIUE's Diehl Named Academic All-District

Story Links

EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. – SIUE wrestler Chase Diehl (Johnson City, Tennessee) has been named At-Large Academic All-District as selected by College Sports Communications, which recognizes the nation's top student-athletes for their combined performances on the court and in the classroom.

A senior history major, Diehl previously was named to the Academic All-Mid-American Conference team and a Scholar All-American by the National Wrestling Coaches Association.

Academic All-District honorees advance to the CSC Academic All-America ballot. First, second and third team will be announced in June.

Wrestling 5/24/2023 4:11:00 PM Eric Hess, SIUE Athletic Communications

• 2 weeks later...

Evan Dixon signs with Cumberland

June 06, 2023 

SUBMITTED
Cheatham County Exchange
ngcb1 Evan Dixon signed his letter of intent to wrestle at Cumberland. SUBMITTED

Sycamore senior and recent graduate, heavyweight wrestler Evan Dixon, recently signed to wrestle at the next level while attending Cumberland University in Lebanon, Tennessee. 

Dixon was a 2023 region champion and a three-time state qualifier while wrestling for the War Eagles. His final GPA at Sycamore was 3.5. 

“Evan was a pleasure to work with, Dixon’s wrestling coach Steve Hamblin said. “He has a certain dry wit and humor about him that makes people laugh. When he grabbed hold of you there was no laughing. Evan had a knack for putting you on the mat quickly. He is an extremely strong young man. He was a 3-sport athlete playing football, soccer and wrestling. We hope for nothing but the best for Evan at the next level.” 

• 3 weeks later...

TriCities News…

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=https://tricitiessports.com/science-hills-conner-tennessee-highs-dingus-unicois-batrez-double-up-o-p114323-469.htm&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoUMTI2MDc3NTQwODc3NDE2MjA3NzgyGjI4Mjk4OGI0MDg3OTdiYTY6Y29tOmVuOlVT&usg=AOvVaw3MXPTmO8PEpen4P4HMjNZE

—————-
Garrison Dendy, 141/149

With UTK 26’ in his Instagram bio, it appears that Garrison Dendy has decided to step away from the sport of wrestling and return to Tennessee where he graduated high school. However, it’s still worth a call from a coach IMO. Dendy didn’t wrestle a match the one year he was at Wyoming, but he was the #88 overall recruit coming out of high school in 2022. 

Potential Landing Spot: Tennessee Chattanooga

Dendy clearly wants to be back in Tennessee, and his friend and high school teammate who originally went to Wyoming with him, David Harper, transferred to Chattanooga.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/11071681-top-names-still-in-transfer-portal-where-they-should-go

——————
Stephen Carroll, Elmhurst University. Nanuet. Joe Parisi, 
Cumberland University. Deandre Woods from New Rochelle…

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/high-school/lohud-wrestling/2023/06/22/where-is-the-section-1-class-of-2023-wrestling-in-college/70346519007/&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoTODE3MzI3MDQ5MDAwNDczMTUzMjIaZWU5ZDI4Nzk5ZmNhMTAwZDpjb206ZW46VVM&usg=AOvVaw2D6OZ8F7l0GENdWFkxcBY8

Edited by soms2

• 3 weeks later...

Tennessee Rankings and Fargo Roster prominently featured …

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2023/July/08/Fargo-rosters-AL-NY-TN-TX
——————-

Darrel Lauderdale, who is also the Seymour High School wrestling coach, was appointed to the position earlier this year.

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=https://www.themountainpress.com/news/lauderdale-named-national-aau-director-for-wrestling/article_651e6755-362f-57fe-a01b-13a87dedfb97.html&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoTNDcyMTE4MzQ4MDgyNzI3NjQ0MTIaNTA0MWI1YTEwOTE1MDQ1Yjpjb206ZW46VVM&usg=AOvVaw0fF5rv9S3ArdzytWieGRVj (https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=https://www.themountainpress.com/news/lauderdale-named-national-aau-director-for-wrestling/article_651e6755-362f-57fe-a01b-13a87dedfb97.html&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoTNDcyMTE4MzQ4MDgyNzI3NjQ0MTIaNTA0MWI1YTEwOTE1MDQ1Yjpjb206ZW46VVM&usg=AOvVaw0fF5rv9S3ArdzytWieGRVj)

——————-

The Cheatham County Exchange would like to announce the 2023 All-Cheatham County Wrestling Team. 
Sycamore leads the way with seven athletes on the team while Cheatham County Central and Harpeth both have four wrestlers on the team. 
 (http://www.mtbj.net/)
The team can be found below in order of weight classes. 
106 – Derek Walton, Cheatham County Central – sectional qualifier 
113 – Hudson Fry, Harpeth – state qualifier 
120 – Landon Turner, Harpeth – third-place finish at state 
126 – Trey Moreland, Sycamore – state qualifier 
132 – Adan Alvarez, Cheatham County Central – sixth-place finish at state 
138 – Dylan Davenport, Sycamore – sixth-place finish at state 
145 – Luke London, Sycamore – runner-up finish at state 
152 – James Vaughan, Sycamore – sectional qualifier 
160 – Tell Magness, Harpeth – TSSAA state champion 
170 – Daniel White, Cheatham County Central – fourth-place finish at state 
182 – Logan Heckert, Sycamore – second-place finish at state 
195 – Nathan Heathman, Sycamore – state qualifier 
220 – AJ Rigby, Harpeth – state qualifier 
HWT – Evan Dixon, Sycamore – state qualifier 
Also – Amanda Thomason, Cheatham County Ce
ntral – state qualifier

https://mainstreetmediatn.com/articles/cheatham/the-cheatham-county-exchange-names-the-all-county-wrestling-team/

Edited by soms2

Cleveland’s Piper Fowler will be representing the United States in wrestling in the under 17 World Championships inIstanbul, Turkey, starting at the end of July.

Said Fowler: “This was always like my goal was to be representing USA. Not just Cleveland High School, notjust Tennessee, but my country.”

She is the first girl in Tennessee history to win the tournament and earn a spot in the World Championships.
Fowler: “Exciting to be able to win and feel what it was like to win finally. I think that this year has been an amazing year for me, and I’m just excited.

Fowler lost in the finals of the tournament last year and he used that loss to fuel her for this season.

Said Fowler: “Losing is never fun, but it’s good for you. You learn from it and you get better from it, and then you’re able to improve next time and make those teams and win those tournaments or place at those tournaments. Whatever your goal is.

Her dream of her representing the USA will soon become a reality and she honestly doesn’t know what it’ll feel like when it does actually happen.

Said Fowler: “There’s a lot of different things that you think that it’s going to be like, what it’s going to feel like, but you never know until you’re actually there and you actually experience it.

And now she has a new goal to win in a US singlet.

Great TV interview..

https://www.wdef.com/cleveland-wrestler-piper-fowler-set-to-represent-usa-in-international-event/

Edited by soms2