Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team came away with a pair of titles at the 2023 Southern Conference Wrestling Championships in Boone, N.C., tonight. Sophomore Brayden Palmer and junior Rocky Jordan won their first league trophies at 133 and 174 pounds, respectively. Palmer also took home the tournament's Most Outstanding Wrestler Award.  

The Mocs finished third as a team with 52 points in the tournament.  Appalachian State won the team title with 103 points, followed by second-place Campbell 78.5.

With two NCAA bids up for grabs at 133 and 174 pounds, the Championship Round started with those weights and a pair of Mocs in action.

"Both guys had to suck it up tonight," stated UTC head coach Kyle Ruschell.  "Rocky wasn't feeling his best, but he had to man up.  Palmer was going to have to beat two guys who beat him to get it done."

Palmer came into the weekend at #17 at 133, but just the No. 3 seed due to some slipups in the dual season.  After scoring a 4-0 win over Davidson's Jackson Sichelstiel in the opening round, he got some payback for one of those miscues with a 3-1 win in overtime against Campbell's Domenic Zaccone.  Zaccone, the No. 2 seed and ranked #23, beat Palmer in overtime in the regular season dual.  

That put Palmer up against top-seeded and 24th-ranked Ethan Oakley of Appalachian State in the finals. Oakley also beat Palmer in a tight match in the regular season.

Oakley opened with a takedown and took a 2-1 lead into the second frame. Palmer chose down in the second and quickly escaped.  He scored a takedown of his own for a 4-2 lead after two.  Oakley escaped after choosing down in the third, but Palmer held on for a 4-3 win. 

Palmer upped his record to 20-6 and qualified for the NCAA Tournament for the second time as a Moc.

"It was nice to see Brayden score with defense and get the win," said Ruschell. "He knew what he was going to have to do to get the win and was able to execute. He deserved the MOW, and we are excited for him."

This is the 23rd time a Moc has won the SoCon Tournament Most Outstading honor.  The last to do it was Drew Nicholson in 2021.  

"Getting the championship is nice, but I was just as happy getting revenge on the two guys who beat me earlier in the year," said Palmer with a grin after winning his first league title.  "I liked being the three seed. I felt like there was less pressure being the underdog. It was nice to come away with a title after coming up short and getting second last year."

Jordan entered the tournament ranked No. 12 and the No. 1 seed.  The All-SoCon selection opened with a pin against Gardner-Webb's Andrew Wilson and followed that with a 13-0 major decision against Davidson's Jaden Hardrick. 

He took on App State's Will Miller in the finals. Miller was the No. 2 seed and ranked No. 25 in the RPI. It was a tough bout throughout with Jordan scoring a takedown in the opening period. After escaping to start the second, Jordan gave up a takedown to Miller before the end of the middle period.

Trailing 3-2, Miller chose bottom to start the third. Jordan worked the final two minutes on top to post a 4-2 win.  The win upped his season record to 19-2.

"It wasn't my best performance overall in the finals, but I was happy getting a tough, gritty win," said Jordan. "I had to ride him for close to five minutes and that is tough to do against a guy like that.  Two weeks from now in Tulsa, it is going to take a win like that to get on the podium."

"Rocky is exactly who we thought he was," added Ruschell. "He is grateful for the opportunity to compete here, he works hard and he does all the right things. He showed all of that tonight."

Sophomore Noah Castillo joined Palmer and Jordan in the finals as the No. 2 seed at 149 pounds.  He opened with a 21-3 tech fall over Presbyterian's Khalid Brinkley.  He followed that with an 8-3 decision against Campbell's No. 3 seed Chris Rivera. 

In the finals, he took on top-seeded and ninth-ranked Jon Millner from Appalachian State.  Castillo put up a strong effort against the three-time defending SoCon Champion, but eventually fell 4-0. 

Senior Matthew Waddell was one of seven Mocs who advanced to the semifinals.  Waddell eventually finished third at 184 pounds.  He opened with a 7-5 decision against The Citadel's Tim Fitzpatrick.  That led to a nail-biting 3-2 loss to Gardner-Webb's Jha'Quan Anderson in the semifinals.

Waddell came into the weekend ranked #33 and upped his overall mark wot 17-7 with consolation wins over Cordel Duart of Presbyterian and Lucas Uliano of Appalachian State.

"I am proud of Noah and Matthew taking second and third," stated Ruschell. "Noah had to wrestle a good guy in the finals, and Matthew battled on the back side to take third place." 

Senior Jake Boyd showed some fight for the Mocs at 197 pounds.  He advanced to the third-place match before bowing out with a medical forfeit.  Boyd opened with an 11-5 decision over VMI's Tyler Mousaw.  He then took on Campbell's top-seed and 33rd-ranked Levi Hopkins in the semifinals.  Despite nursing a bad back, Boyd competed hard in a 1-0 loss. In the consolation semifinals, Boyd posted a 5-2 win over Gardner-Webb's Sam Mora.    

Sophomore Weston Wichman opened the day with a 9-8 win over Davidson's Bryce Sanderlin at 157 pounds.  It was not an easy win as he was nearly pinned at the end of the first period and had to overcome a 6-0 deficit in the final four minutes.

From there, Wichman took on Gardner-Webb's second-seeded and 30th-ranked RJ Mosley in the semis.  Despite being the aggressor all match, Wichman could not get a takedown (or a stalling call) in regulation. 

Wichman was in on a single at the end of overtime, but Mosely was able to crawl out of bounds to avoid giving up points.  Mosely rode out the next overtime period, forcing Wichman to choose neutral in the final frame.  Has was not able to get the go-ahead score and lost the match. 

Sophomore Logan Andrew moved into the semis at heavyweight behind a 9-6 in over VMI's Josh Evans.  He dropped his semifinal match to Campbell's 15th-ranked Taye Ghadiali (Fall – 4:06) and also lost in the consolation semifinals to Davidson's Jake Fernicola (4-0). 

Sophomore Logan Ashton went 1-2 at 125, scoring points in the consolations with an 8-0 major decision over VMI's Tony Burke. He nearly pulled off a big upset in the opening round against #25 Anthony Molton of Campbell before falling 1-3.

Senior Franco Valdes (141) and sophomore Lincoln Heck (157) also went 1-2 after dropping first round matches.  Valdes posted a 10-1 major decision over Davidson's Josh Viarengo in the backdraw. Heck scored his win over Presbyterian's Michael Ramirez with a 10-6 decision. 

Up next for the Mocs is the NCAA Wrestling Championships set for March 16-18 at the BOK Center in Tulsa, Okla. Tickets for the event are available on GoMocs.com by clicking here or by calling the UTC Ticket Office at 423-266-MOCS (6627) during normal business hours (M-F 10-5).  

TEAM SCORES
1. Appalachian State - 103.0
2. Campbell - 78.5
3. Chattanooga - 52.0
4. Gardner-Webb - 42.5
5. The Citadel - 33.5
6. Presbyterian College - 18.5
7. VMI - 18.0
8. Davidson College - 17.0

125 – Logan Ashton
#25 Antony Molton (Campbell) – L-D, 1-3
Anthony Burke (VMI) – W-MD, 8-0
Drew West (GWU) – L-D, 0-1

133 – #17 Brayden Palmer – 1ST PLACE
Jackson Sichelstiel (Davidson) – W-D, 4-0
#23 Domenic Zaccone (Campbell) – W-D, 3-1 (SV-1)
#24 Ethan Oakley (App. St.) – W-D, 4-3

141 – Franco Valdes
Jacob Silka (Citadel) – L-D, 1-8
Joshua Viarengo (Davidson) – W-MD, 10-1
Heath Gonyer (App. St.) – L-D, 0-4

149 – Noah Castillo
Khalid Brinkley – W-TF, 21-3 (5:00)
Chris Rivera (Campbell) – W-D, 8-3
#9 Jon Millner (App. St.) -

157 – Lincoln Heck
Job Chishko (VMI) – L-TF, 1-20 (4:53)
Michael Ramirez (Presbyterian) – W-D, 13-6
#31 Troy Nation (Campbell) – L-D, 0-5

165 – Weston Wichman
Bryce Sanderlin (Davidson) – W-D, 9-8
#30 Rodrick Mosley (GWU) – L-D, 1-4 (TB-1)
Braxton Lewis (VMI) – L-D, 9-11

174 – #12 Rocky Jordan – 1ST PLACE
Andrew Wilson (GWU) - Fall (4:03)
Jaden Hardrick (Davidson) - W-MD, 13-0
#25 Will Miller (App. St.) – W-D, 4-2

184 – #33 Matthew Waddell – 3rd Place
Timothy Fitzpatrick (Citadel) – W-D, 7-5
Jha`Quan Anderson (GWU) – L-D, 2-3
Cordel Duhart (PC)- W-D, 5-2
Lucas Uliano (App. St.) – W-D, 4-3

197 – Jake Boyd
Tyler Mousaw (VMI) – W-D, 11-5
#33 Levi Hopkins (Campbell) – L-D, 0-1
Sam Mora (GWU) – W-D, 5-2
Mark Chaid (Citadel) – L-Medical Forfeit

285 – Logan Andrew
Josh Evans (VMI) – W-D, 9-6
#15 Taye Ghadiali (Campbell) – L-Fall (4:06)
Jake Fernicola (Davidson) – L-D, 0-4
Baylor's Vivi Christopoulos Ends Historic Career As State Champion

—————————-

Red Raider Wrestler Turns Dream Into Reality

• Friday, March 3, 2023
  • Danny Webb

Under dim, shadowy lighting, the room’s emptiness causes an echo, and as coach Edward Holland’s encouragement ricochets off of walls and the raised ceiling, the room’s suffocating humidity saturates his words with every bounce they take until they’re nearly drenched when they make it to the girls who are grappling on the bright red mat in the center of the floor.

If you closed your eyes, you could fool yourself into believing you’re laid out on some tropical island, but instead of the aroma of coconut and high tide’s mist, fumes of hard work and gym socks infiltrate the nostril.

This is the space where Baylor senior Vivi Christopoulos built a program.

Upon arriving at Baylor School as a rising sophomore, Christopoulos joined the rowing team, but the Knoxville native couldn’t shake the feeling she had when she watched a wrestling match the year prior at Knoxville Catholic High School.

“I saw that you could beat people up and it was okay,” said Christopoulos with a grin. “I wanted the chance to do that too,” she said, her grin growing into a chuckle.

Vivi’s dream of taking the mat faced a severe obstacle, however. Baylor didn’t have a women’s wrestling team. Impassioned and audacious, Vivi went right to work. After the conclusion of her rowing season in the fall, she lobbied with school administration over the possibility of joining the men's team. Ultimately, however, school administration wasn’t comfortable with Vivi wrestling boys, so her proposition was shot down.

“I didn’t like that answer,” said Christopoulos. “Right after he told me no, I was crushed,” added Christopoulos.

Crushed maybe, but not deterred. Following conversations with the boys wrestling coach, meetings with the athletic director, and a one-on-one meeting with the assistant head of the school, Vivi made it clear that “this is something I want to do.”

“How can we make it work,” she asked.

Her determination paid off. Administration agreed that if Vivi could find another girl to participate alongside her, they could start a girls wrestling team. Vivi recruited then-freshman Autumn Phillips to be her teammate, and upon her agreement, Baylor’s women’s wrestling team was born. The team, nothing more than a duo in its young stage, had their patience and resolve tested from the outset.

“Every practice was geared towards the guys who had been wrestling for a long time,” said Christopoulos. “Autumn and I didn’t get the basics. We were just jumping in where we could and trying to follow along,” said Christopoulos.

The entire first year of the team, Vivi and Autumn spent their practices wrestling in the corner of the gym during boy’s team practices, waving for a coach to come and explain the directions that had been given when they didn’t understand.

No matches, no outside competition, nothing. Just practice.

The following year, Schaack Van Deusen, who was helping coach the varsity and junior varsity boys squads, was called upon to coach the girls.

“My first question was, “will the girls stay with it?”,” said Van Deusen, understanding the difficulties that the road ahead of the team would present.

Stay with it they did, and Christopoulos had a stellar junior year, her first full season of competitive wrestling, and heading into 2022, the school hired Edward Holland to be the first full-time head coach of the Baylor girls wrestling team.

Holland wrestled at Pigeon Forge High School and continued his career at The University of Cumberland in Williamsburg, Kentucky.

“I knew from the start that she could win it (State),” said Holland of Christopoulos. “It was like–alright, can she get out of her own way? She’s very strong and very aggressive, but you can be over-aggressive. You can be too much, so sometimes you have to slow it down a little bit,” said Holland.

Vivi ran through every opponent in her senior season except for one. Brooklyn Long, the defending state champion, bested Christopoulos in the final match of a mid-season tournament and was the only blemish on her eventual 18-1 record.

“As a team, I wanted more bodies in the room,” said Christopoulos. “More girls, more repetitions, things like that… But my personal goal was to win State, so I can make my mark and solidify that,” said Christopoulos. A state championship from a girl who has only wrestled for three years may seem far-fetched until you remember that the girl in question is the same one who went toe-to-toe with the administration of her school to eventually spawn the team out of thin air. Vivi’s determination alone is enough to defy the forces of conventional logic.

And what’s so hard to believe? As Vivi says, “I can do this… I put in the work and it pays off.”

Throughout the state tournament, no competitor equaled Vivi’s combination of skill, aggressiveness, and drive, though she didn’t always feel she put her best foot forward.

“My first match, I did not go out there with my best,” said Christopoulos. “And I realized it once I got on the mat,” she added.

“And you only won 10 to nothing,” Van Duesen interjected to remind her as he grinned.

The dominant tournament run led Christopoulos to a rematch with Brooklyn Long, the only wrestler to beat Vivi this season.

Vivi’s mother Xrisanthe has been a guiding light for her throughout this entire process.

“She would say to me that if I wanted to solidify girls wrestling at Baylor, this (winning State) is something that I need to strive to do,” said Christopoulos. “That’s the reality. If I wanted this program to continue and have a real shot, that was something that I needed to do,” added Christopoulos.

Xrisanthe’s support, though sincere and powerful, comes from afar as she can’t stand to watch Vivi fight.

“I’m daughter number four out of five kids, and she says, “I cannot watch my baby girl go out on a mat and get beat up or beat up other girls”,” said Christopoulos with a giggle. If seeing her daughter get beat up is what she fears, there’s no need for her to worry.

Vivi Christopoulos beat Brooklyn Long 4-2 on February 25th and completed her goal of winning a state title to become the first-ever state champion in the history of Baylor girls wrestling.

“I was shocked. It still hasn’t fully hit me,” said Christopoulos. “I just looked over at my coaches like, “Is it over? Did that just happen?”,” she added.

“I told her all year that she was going to win a state title,” said Holland. “The finals match was one of the coolest matches I’ve ever gotten to coach–and I’ve coached some pretty cool ones. What she did in three years… she is special,” said Holland.

“I actually set out, I achieved my goal, and I made Baylor history,” said Christopoulos. “For Baylor, it’s shown that you can go out, start something new and excel in it. It shows other girls that they can try a sport, be new at it, and still do well. I feel us breaking a barrier. Wrestling may have been male-dominated, but there is a shift happening,” said Christopoulos.

Vivi has had several colleges reach out to her in regards to how she plans to continue to pursue her wrestling career, and as of now, Vivi plans to attend the Coast Guard Academy where she will practice with the men’s wrestling team and study mechanical engineering. Her historic three-year stretch at Baylor is one that will influence future generations of Red Raiders to not only wrestle, but to take risks, and be determined in all that they do.

(Email Danny Webb at sports@chattanoogan.com)

Several wrestlers in and around Tennessee listed here! How many do you count and what teams do they represent?

SBLive Sports National High School Wrestling Rankings (3/9/2023)

One weekend to go before the high school wrestling season is complete.

UTC finished ahead of ACC members Virginia (48th - 2.5) and Duke (56th - 0.5), PAC 12's Cal State Bakersfield (53rd - 0.5) and the Big 12's Wyoming (50th - 2.0). 

The 2023 NCAA Wrestling Championships completed action at the BOK Center in Tulsa, Okla., tonight.  With all of the scores in, the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga finished tied for 44th overall with 4.0 team points, some of the best numbers for the Mocs in over a decade.

Chattanooga qualified three individuals, including junior Brayden Palmer (133) and seniors Rocky Jordan (174) and Matthew Waddell (184). The Mocs' team points came from two wins from Palmer and one from Jordan.  Both Jordan and Palmer scored bonus points with one major decision each.

The 4.0 points are the most for UTC since scoring 4.0 at the 2009 tournament.  The tie for 44th is the best finish in the team standings since placing 37th in 2008. 

UTC's two bonus-points wins were the first for Chattanooga since Corey Mock scored a 9-1 major decision over Navy's Peyton Walsh in the first round at 165 pounds of the 2014 NCAA Championships.

The Mocs tied Campbell for the top Southern Conference finish at the NCAA Championships.  SoCon Champion Appalachian State was 52rd with 1.0 team point, while Gardner-Webb scored 0.5 and finished 56th.  UTC finished ahead of ACC members Virginia (48th - 2.5) and Duke (56th - 0.5), PAC 12's Cal State Bakersfield (53rd - 0.5) and the Big 12's Wyoming (50th - 2.0). 

Blackmon Named New Bradley Central Wrestling Coach

Former Bears Assistant Takes Reins From Retiring Ben Smith

• Wednesday, March 22, 2023

The administration of Bradley Central High School is thrilled to announce the appointment of Bryant Blackmon as the new head wrestling coach for the Bradley Central High School boys’ wrestling team. Coach Blackmon replaces retiring Coach Ben Smith for whom he served as assistant coach for 7 years. 

Coach Blackmon takes the helm with his own rich history with the Bradley Central High School wrestling program. He began as a member of the wrestling team under legendary Coach Steve Logsdon.

From 2001-2004, he was a member of the TSSAA traditional and duals state championship teams. In 2003, he was the 171 pound state wrestling runner-up; and in 2004, he became the 171 pound state champion.

Following high school, he attended and wrestled for Oklahoma State University and was a member of the 2005 and 2006 NCAA National Championship teams. He graduated from the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga with a bachelor’s degree in finance and earned his master’s degree in curriculum and instruction from Lincoln Memorial University.

After graduation, Coach Blackmon continued to have an impact on the wrestling world pouring into young wrestlers as a coach. He was an assistant coach at Greenback High School for 2 years and the head coach for 1 year. He was an assistant coach at Walker Valley High School for 4 years and the head coach at Ooltewah High School for 2 years.

In 2016, he returned to his alma mater to become an assistant coach at BCHS under Coach Ben Smith. This vast experience has prepared him to take the reins of one of the most decorated programs in the state of Tennessee. Principal Patrick Spangler stated, “We are very excited about the future of our Bears wrestling program. Coach Blackmon bleeds black and gold and will carry on the long standing tradition of one of the top wrestling programs in the state of Tennessee.” 

Turner Jackson, Bradley Central High School Athletic Director, said, “I’m excited to welcome Coach Blackmon as our head coach. His deep roots at Bradley help him understand the expectations that come with being a part of the BCHS organization, while his experience at OSU gives him an understanding of how to help our kids achieve at the next level. He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to our program and gives our kids the best of both worlds.” 

Ben Smith, retiring Bradley Central High School Head Wrestling Coach, remarked, “I could not be more excited for Coach Blackmon, his family, and the current staff . He and his family have been an extension of my family for over 20 years. I was blessed to be a small part of his competitive career, and it has brought me great joy and pride to coach alongside him for the past seven seasons. I have watched him grow in his faith, mature as a husband, father, and coach, as well as evolve into one of the most detailed-oriented technicians, well-rounded wrestling minds, and transformational coaches that I have ever been around. He is ready! He and the returning staf have already been hard at work and I am so excited for him, his staff , and the future of Bradley Wrestling. God Bless and Go Bears!.” 

Coach Blackmon stated, “I want to thank Dr. Cash, Mr. Spangler, and the Board of Education who has chosen to give me an opportunity to be the Head Wrestling Coach at Bradley Central High School. This is one of the greatest honors and highlights of my life! Bradley County Schools and the Bradley Wrestling program changed my life as a young man and now as an adult on so many levels (student, athlete, teacher, coach). My family has been greatly impacted and changed in ways that I could never repay or put into words by this community, school system, and wrestling program.

Thank you to all who have walked with, changed our lives through faith, and invested in my family to get us to a point in our lives where this opportunity could even be possible! Most importantly, I want to thank my family for their sacrifice, commitment, support, and journey through faith! Our staff and my family are excited and committed to continuing the tradition of Bradley Wrestling!"

https://www.chattanoogan.com/2023/3/22/466141/Blackmon-Named-New-Bradley-Central.aspx

2023 NHSCA High School Nationals 

TN & GA represented well with others from the SE…
Senior Finals Results

113 Tyler Washburn Naples, FL (FL) F Darron Provost Gillette, WY (WY), 4:55

120 Tk Davis Rockmart, GA (GA) DEC Tyler Chappell Cranberry Township, PA (PA), 3-2

126 Amantee Mills Dacula, GA (GA) DEC Jaden Crumpler Niagara Falls, NY (NY), 4-1

132 Tyler Knox Groveland, MA (MA) MD Jacob Brenneman Accident, MD (MD), 11-0

138 Isaiah Powe AL (AL) DEC David Mcclelland Johnstown, OH (OH), 6-4

145 Cade Wirnsberger Lewisburg, PA (PA) DEC Tyler Tracy Pittsboro, NC (NC), 3-1 SV

152 Luke Bender Lewes, DE (DE) DEC Drew Pepin NC (NC), 6-1

160 Rafael Hipolito ashburn, VA (VA) DEC Christopher Minto Cape Coral, FL (FL), 4-3

170 Jasiah Queen Rahway, NJ (NJ) MD Riggin Boger Kamas, UT (UT), 13-5

182 Will Conlon Hoover, AL (AL) DEC Landen Moss Monroe, GA (GA), 4-2

195 Toby Schoffstall Evington, VA (VA) MD Eric Carlson Manhasset, NY (NY), 11-0

220 Matthew Marcum Lawrence, KS (KS) DEC Caleb Beaty Clayton, NC (NC), 6-2

285 Trent Sibble Bolivar, NY (NY) DEC Tristen Hitchcock Warrensburg, NY (NY), 3-2 SV

Junior Finals Results

106 Raekwon Shabazz Middletown, CT (CT) DEC Jack Bergmann Wanaque, NJ (NJ), 5-4

113 Jermaine Peace Summerville, SC (SC) DEC Colyn Limbert OH (OH), 6-4

120 Isaiah Quintero Placentia, CA (CA) F Ethan Rivera Orlando, FL (FL), 8:30

126 Nikolaus O’neill Philadelphia, PA (PA) DEC Mason Ziegler Quakertown, PA (PA), 5-0

132 Tyson Sherlock Linthicum, MD (MD) FOR Mason Kernan Bethel Park, PA (PA)

138 Gabriel Bouyssou Hope, RI (RI) TF Brayden Robison Bluebell, UT (UT), 21-6 4:18

145 Logan Fowler Cleveland, TN (TN) MD Jonathan Fuller Rahway, NJ (NJ), 8-0

152 Conner Harer Montgomery, PA (PA) DEC Lj Araujo Bismarck, ND (ND), 4-3

160 Latrell Schafer Bonaire, GA (GA) DEC Kendrick Hodge Miami, FL (FL), 5-2

170 Nate Blanchette Methuen, MA (MA) MD Omer Barak FL (FL), 14-6

182 Hoke Poe-hogan Commerce, GA (GA) MD Ayden Flores Maize, KS (KS), 10-2

195 Ryland Whitworth Huntington Beach, CA (CA) DEC Gage Yackee Holland, OH (OH), 4-2

220 Cy Kruse Ham Lake, MN (MN) DEC Brenan Morgan Aliquippa, PA (PA), 8-2

285 Navarro Schunke Brandon, SD (SD) MD Andre Mcfadden Lake City, SC (SC), 8-0

Sophomore Finals Results

106 Aaron Seidel Schaefferstown, PA (PA) F Adam Mattin Delta, OH (OH), 5:31

113 Cadell Lee Stafford, VA (VA) DEC Colin Martin VA (VA), 3-1 SV

120 Sebastian Degennaro Jensen Beach, FL (FL) DEC Caio Aron The Woodlands, TX (TX), 3-1

126 Billy Dekraker Blairstown, NJ (NJ) DEC Sidney Tildsley Billerica, MA (MA), 5-1

132 Drew Gorman Buford, GA (GA) TF Anthony Lucchiani Stephens City, VA (VA), 18-3 3:37

138 Elvis Solis Homestead, FL (FL) F Dorian Olivarez Spring, TX (TX), 0:53

145 Anthony Evanitsky Exeter, PA (PA) DEC Leo Contino Clovis, CA (CA), 4-1

152 Claudio Torres Orlando, FL (FL) DEC Dominic Bambinelli Hoschton, GA (GA), 7-5

160 Max Norman Kingsport, TN (TN) DEC Isreal Ibarra Eloy, AZ (AZ), 4-2

170 Carson Thomas OH (OH) DEC Tyrel Miller Cleveland, OH (OH), 4-3

182 Harvey Ludington iv Brick Township, NJ (NJ) F Jarrel Miller Cleveland, OH (OH), 1:29

195 Gunner Henry Brownsburg, IN (IN) DEC Wyatt Bush Lee County, VA (VA), 3-2

220 Brock Kehler Morgantown, WV (WV) DEC Brett Clatterbaugh Culpeper, VA (VA), 3-0

285 Thomas Brown Chelmsford, MA (MA) MD Lucas Stuerenberg cincinnati, OH (OH), 15-1

Freshmen Finals Results

106 Joseph Uhorchuk Signal Mountain, TN (TN) F Nicolas Enzminger Bismarck, ND (ND), 1:47

113 Antonio Mills iii Dacula, GA (GA) DEC Mason Jakob kingsport, TN (TN), 6-5

120 Brandt Harer Muncy, PA (PA) MD David Perez Coventry, RI (RI), 16-2

126 Michael Turi Scranton, PA (PA) DEC Justyce Zuniga Toppenish, WA (WA), 4-3

132 Zeno Moore Orlando, FL (FL) DEC Camden Baum Dillsburg, PA (PA), 4-3

138 Walker Turley Chester, VA (VA) DEC Jackson Butler Windber, PA (PA), 3-2

145 Ryan Rios South El Monte, CA (CA) F Lorenzo Alston Asheboro, NC (NC), 1:08

152 Cael Weidemoyer Telford, PA (PA) F Billy Tyler Nokesville, VA (VA), 1:01

160 Jackson Barron MN (MN) DEC Xander Dossett McDonough, GA (GA), 1-0

170 Adam Waters Stowe, PA (PA) F Aiden Peterson Medina Ohio, OH (OH), 0:54

182 Ryder Wilder Kingsland, GA (GA) F Ryan Rowe Perkasie, PA (PA), 1:35

195 Jason Singer Bally, PA (PA) DEC Dante Deluca Florham Park, NJ (NJ), 1-0

220 Michael Mocco Parkland, FL (FL) DEC Mark Effendian Philadelphia, PA (PA), 4-1

285 Caleb Rodriguez Naples, FL (FL) DEC Christopher Belmonte New Hartford, NY (NY), 4-2 UTB

Girls Finals Results

100 June Welch Woodruff, SC (SC) DEC Jeulenea Khang Morganton, NC (NC), 4-1

107 Teegan Sibble Bolivar, NY (NY) DEC Madolin Ripley Owls Head, ME (ME), 9-3

114 Calli Gilchrist Norwalk, CT (CT) DEC Kylee Golz Mission Viejo, CA (CA), 7-0

120 Carissa Qureshi Irvine, CA (CA) F Alyssa Mahan Wilmington, DE (DE), 1:02

126 Emily Sindoni Nichols, NY (NY) DEC Lexy Pabon Crofton, MD (MD), 7-1

132 Lauren Walton Lexington, KY (KY) MD Zoe Griffith Gouverneur, NY (NY), 9-0

138 May Prado Marietta, GA (GA) DEC Alessandra Elliott NY (NY), 6-5

145 Loralei Smith Ona, WV (WV) MD Tayla Tildsley Billerica, MA (MA), 11-0

152 Eduarda Rodrigues Newport Beach, CA (CA) DEC Stella Steigler orange, VA (VA), 9-5 SV

165 Piper Fowler Cleveland, TN (TN) DEC Adriana Palumbo Pleasantville, NY (NY), 3-0

185 Saiheron Preciado Long Beach, CA (CA) F Cheyenne Cruce Middleburg, FL (FL), 4:13

235 Allie Phillips Los Angeles, CA (CA) DEC Kaylie Musard Frederick, MD (MD), 1-0

Middle School Finals Results

75 Ariah Mills Dacula, GA (GA) F Nathan Schuman Honesdale, PA (PA), 3:19

80 Cody Clarke Buford, GA (GA) F Trevor Patrovich manorville, NY (NY), 1:24

85 Graydon Martin VA (VA) F John Woodall Franklin, MA (MA), 4:05

90 Brighton Karvoski Newtown, CT (CT) MD Deklan Barr Altoona, PA (PA), 8-0

95 Anthony Lagala ryan Ridge, NY (NY) F Michael Santos Springfield, VA (VA), 3:27

100 William Soto Newburgh, NY (NY) DEC Grayson Davis Rehoboth, DE (DE), 5-3 SV

105 Brady Harper Granger, IN (IN) DEC Killian Coluccio Toms River, NJ (NJ), 7-1

112 James Sievers Social Circle, GA (GA) F Orion Hill Sacramento, CA (CA), 3:22

119 Brock Rothermel Dornsife, PA (PA) F Colby Houle CT (CT), 1:23

127 Yandro Soto Orlando, FL (FL) MD Joshua Piparo Andover, NJ (NJ), 16-8

135 Mason Basile Tampa, FL (FL) DEC Antonio Arguello Newtown, CT (CT), 4-1

142 Sonny Amato Fair Haven, NJ (NJ) F Gabe Johnson Dillsburg, PA (PA), 3:55

154 Ronan An Marietta, GA (GA) DEC Samuel Almedina Dickson City, PA (PA), 3-1 SV

165 Byson Huber Katy, TX (TX) F Ethan Vayro Welcome, MD (MD), 1:23

180 Maximus Konopka Simsbury, CT (CT) DEC Cael Mielnik Ocean City, MD (MD), 3-2

230 Caleb Tyler Fairfield, PA (PA) DEC Kayson Kong Cranston, RI (RI), 8-1

Senior Semifinal Results

113 Tyler Washburn Naples, FL (FL) DEC Isaiah Adams Avon, CT (CT), 7-6

113 Darron Provost Gillette, WY (WY) DEC Genaro De la garza Woodruff, SC (SC), 9-7

120 Tyler Chappell Cranberry Township, PA (PA) F Allen Calderon McDonough, GA (GA), 2:27

120 Tk Davis Rockmart, GA (GA) F Gabe Gonzales Globe, AZ (AZ), 4:32

126 Amantee Mills Dacula, GA (GA) MD Brandt Fajerman Davidson, NC (NC), 17-7

126 Jaden Crumpler Niagara Falls, NY (NY) DEC Kyison Garcia South Jordan, UT (UT), 4-1

132 Tyler Knox Groveland, MA (MA) DEC Ethan Lipsey Cleveland, TN (TN), 5-0

132 Jacob Brenneman Accident, MD (MD) MD Cael Alderman Olathe, KS (KS), 12-2

138 David Mcclelland Johnstown, OH (OH) DEC Nicholas Yancey Fort Lauderdale, FL (FL), 8-2

138 Isaiah Powe AL (AL) TF Avery Buonocore Wilmington, NC (NC), 18-3 6:00

145 Tyler Tracy Pittsboro, NC (NC) DEC Donavan Smith Wellsburg, NY (NY), 7-2

145 Cade Wirnsberger Lewisburg, PA (PA) DEC Giovanni Alejandro East Rutherford, NJ (NJ), 3-0

152 Drew Pepin NC (NC) DEC Keagan Judd STEPHENS CITY, VA (VA), 6-5

152 Luke Bender Lewes, DE (DE) DEC Rawson Iwanicki Andover, MA (MA), 7-1

160 Rafael Hipolito ashburn, VA (VA) DEC Boeden Greenley Lisbon, ND (ND), 11-4

160 Christopher Minto Cape Coral, FL (FL) MD Jake Slotnick NJ (NJ), 10-1

170 Jasiah Queen Rahway, NJ (NJ) MD Rafael Knapp Northborough, MA (MA), 15-7

170 Riggin Boger Kamas, UT (UT) DEC Christian Moder Naples, FL (FL), 7-3

182 Will Conlon Hoover, AL (AL) DEC Austin Richens Vernal, UT (UT), 7-2

182 Landen Moss Monroe, GA (GA) DEC Matthew Walsh Acton, MA (MA), 4-2 SV

195 Eric Carlson Manhasset, NY (NY) DEC Brendan Gilchrist Norwalk, CT (CT), 4-3

195 Toby Schoffstall Evington, VA (VA) DEC Tomas Brooker Harrisburg, NC (NC), 7-5

220 Matthew Marcum Lawrence, KS (KS) DEC Robert Canterino Sea Girt, NJ (NJ), 2-1

220 Caleb Beaty Clayton, NC (NC) DEC Mason Christian Butte, MT (MT), 1-0

285 Trent Sibble Bolivar, NY (NY) DEC Dirk Morley Denver, CO (CO), 1-0

285 Tristen Hitchcock Warrensburg, NY (NY) F Nathan Carnes NC (NC), 1:13

Junior Semifinal Results

106 Raekwon Shabazz Middletown, CT (CT) MD Samuel Aponte Fayetteville, NC (NC), 14-2

106 Jack Bergmann Wanaque, NJ (NJ) DEC Brady Byrd WASHINGTON, IN (IN), 5-1

113 Colyn Limbert OH (OH) DEC Kurt Wehner Toms River, NJ (NJ), 2-0

113 Jermaine Peace Summerville, SC (SC) MD Dale O'blia Henderson, CO (CO), 10-1

120 Isaiah Quintero Placentia, CA (CA) DEC Keyan Hernandez Billings, MT (MT), 5-1

120 Ethan Rivera Orlando, FL (FL) DEC Tanner Tishner Michigantown, IN (IN), 4-2

126 Nikolaus O’neill Philadelphia, PA (PA) F Jordan Joslyn Ashville, NY (NY), 1:14

126 Mason Ziegler Quakertown, PA (PA) DEC Christian Davis Arizona City, AZ (AZ), 9-7

132 Mason Kernan Bethel Park, PA (PA) MD Richard Murillo Moreno Valley, CA (CA), 13-3

132 Tyson Sherlock Linthicum, MD (MD) DEC Kade Brown Brunswick, OH (OH), 3-0

138 Gabriel Bouyssou Hope, RI (RI) F Colton Theobald Genola, UT (UT), 5:18

138 Brayden Robison Bluebell, UT (UT) DEC Gunnar Myers Hawley, PA (PA), 5-2

145 Logan Fowler Cleveland, TN (TN) TF Brandon Ploehn UT (UT), 15-0 3:41

145 Jonathan Fuller Rahway, NJ (NJ) DEC Jesse Vanorden Wantagh, NY (NY), 3-1 SV

152 Conner Harer Montgomery, PA (PA) TF Jacob Zearfoss Gloucester City, NJ (NJ), 20-5 5:49

152 Lj Araujo Bismarck, ND (ND) DEC Ousmane Duncanson Tioga Center, NY (NY), 6-2

160 Latrell Schafer Bonaire, GA (GA) DEC Gage Laplante North Tonawanda, NY (NY), 8-2

160 Kendrick Hodge Miami, FL (FL) DEC Ryan Garvick PA (PA), 5-2

170 Nate Blanchette Methuen, MA (MA) F Gage Wright Mineral wells, WV (WV), 2:33

170 Omer Barak FL (FL) DEC Isael Perez Providence, RI (RI), 6-3

182 Ayden Flores Maize, KS (KS) DEC Spencer Fine Cumberland, RI (RI), 5-3

182 Hoke Poe-hogan Commerce, GA (GA) FOR Kail Schott Chatfield, MN (MN)

195 Gage Yackee Holland, OH (OH) DEC Mason A ellis Gurley, AL (AL), 9-3

195 Ryland Whitworth Huntington Beach, CA (CA) DEC Anthony Lowe Brunswick, GA (GA), 2-1 TB2

220 Cy Kruse Ham Lake, MN (MN) TF Timothy Gray Citrus Springs, FL (FL), 18-2 4:12

220 Brenan Morgan Aliquippa, PA (PA) F Calvin Lachman Quakertown, PA (PA), 5:05

285 Navarro Schunke Brandon, SD (SD) MD Shilo Jones Boise, ID (ID), 12-4

285 Andre Mcfadden Lake City, SC (SC) DEC Gabriel Garibaldi White Plains, NY (NY), 6-0

Sophomore Semifinal Results

106 Aaron Seidel Schaefferstown, PA (PA) MD Evin Gursoy New York, NY (NY), 8-0

106 Adam Mattin Delta, OH (OH) F Khel Lipumano Yuma, AZ (AZ), 5:16

113 Cadell Lee Stafford, VA (VA) DEC Luke Satriano Montgomery, NY (NY), 3-2

113 Colin Martin VA (VA) DEC Nico Fanella Indiana, PA (PA), 2-0 SV

120 Caio Aron The Woodlands, TX (TX) DEC Gauge Botero Lansdale, PA (PA), 3-2 UTB

120 Sebastian Degennaro Jensen Beach, FL (FL) DEC Ethan Uhorchuk Signal Mountain, TN (TN), 10-5

126 Sidney Tildsley Billerica, MA (MA) DEC Manuel Saldate LAS VEGAS, NV (NV), 6-4

126 Billy Dekraker Blairstown, NJ (NJ) F Eddie Radecki Newark, DE (DE), 3:23

132 Drew Gorman Buford, GA (GA) TF Aiden Simmons Bakersfield, CA (CA), 17-2 2:43

132 Anthony Lucchiani Stephens City, VA (VA) DEC Garrett Reece Parker, CO (CO), 9-5

138 Dorian Olivarez Spring, TX (TX) DEC Chase Van hoven Stafford, VA (VA), 8-7

138 Elvis Solis Homestead, FL (FL) DEC Chase Hontz Quakertown, PA (PA), 5-4

145 Anthony Evanitsky Exeter, PA (PA) DEC Emmitt Sherlock Linthicum, MD (MD), 9-6

145 Leo Contino Clovis, CA (CA) DEC Gabriel Delgado Henderson, NV (NV), 2-0

152 Dominic Bambinelli Hoschton, GA (GA) MD Maxwell Stein New Hope, PA (PA), 16-7

152 Claudio Torres Orlando, FL (FL) DEC Brian Heard N Abington Twp, PA (PA), 8-2

160 Max Norman Kingsport, TN (TN) DEC Benjamin Smith Clarksburg, MD (MD), 8-4

160 Isreal Ibarra Eloy, AZ (AZ) DEC Ryan Burton Sparta Township, NJ (NJ), 8-7

170 Carson Thomas OH (OH) DEC Conor Mccloskey Buford, GA (GA), 7-5

170 Tyrel Miller Cleveland, OH (OH) DEC Landon Jobber-spence Warrenton, VA (VA), 8-2

182 Jarrel Miller Cleveland, OH (OH) DEC Cason Howle Greenwood, SC (SC), 3-0

182 Harvey Ludington iv Brick Township, NJ (NJ) F Robert Kucharczk Fairfax Station, VA (VA), 1:34

195 Wyatt Bush Lee County, VA (VA) DEC Riley Mcpherson North Royalton, OH (OH), 3-0

195 Gunner Henry Brownsburg, IN (IN) DEC Alex Smith Yulee, FL (FL), 11-7

220 Brock Kehler Morgantown, WV (WV) DEC Melvin Whitehead Henderson, NV (NV), 2-1

220 Brett Clatterbaugh Culpeper, VA (VA) MD Brayden Hill Garden City, KS (KS), 8-0

285 Thomas Brown Chelmsford, MA (MA) F Anthony Nava Toppenish, WA (WA), 4:41

285 Lucas Stuerenberg cincinnati, OH (OH) DEC Kaydon Williams RIVERTON, UT (UT), 11-5

Freshman Semifinal Results

106 Nicolas Enzminger Bismarck, ND (ND) F Nathan Rioux Avon, IN (IN), 1:03

106 Joseph Uhorchuk Signal Mountain, TN (TN) DEC Johnathon Mcginty Ridgewood, NJ (NJ), 3-0

113 Mason Jakob kingsport, TN (TN) DEC Ty Murray Carrollton, GA (GA), 3-2

113 Antonio Mills iii Dacula, GA (GA) MD Mason Carlson Syracuse, UT (UT), 15-6

120 Brandt Harer Muncy, PA (PA) MD John Stewart Scottsboro, AL (AL), 10-0

120 David Perez Coventry, RI (RI) DEC Seach Hibler North Haledon, NJ (NJ), 6-2

126 Michael Turi Scranton, PA (PA) DEC Austin Paris Moab, UT (UT), 11-8

126 Justyce Zuniga Toppenish, WA (WA) DEC Matthew Almedina Dickson City, PA (PA), 5-1

132 Zeno Moore Orlando, FL (FL) DEC Arment Waltenbaugh Telford, PA (PA), 5-4

132 Camden Baum Dillsburg, PA (PA) DEC Alias Raby Cottonwood, CA (CA), 4-1 TB2

138 Jackson Butler Windber, PA (PA) DEC Griffin Laplante North Tonawanda, NY (NY), 8-6

138 Walker Turley Chester, VA (VA) DEC Kross Cassidy Bedford, PA (PA), 8-3

145 Lorenzo Alston Asheboro, NC (NC) DEC Christopher Creason Reston, VA (VA), 9-7 SV

145 Ryan Rios South El Monte, CA (CA) DEC Gage Wentzel Montoursville, PA (PA), 5-3

152 Cael Weidemoyer Telford, PA (PA) F Kalias Nazario Fort Lauderdale, FL (FL), 1:34

152 Billy Tyler Nokesville, VA (VA) DEC Dylan Reel College Park, GA (GA), 8-3

160 Xander Dossett McDonough, GA (GA) DEC Dominic Sumpolec Bethlehem, PA (PA), 4-3

160 Jackson Barron MN (MN) DEC Maclane Miller Gibsonia, PA (PA), 9-2

170 Adam Waters Stowe, PA (PA) F Brayden Zuercher Nazareth, PA (PA), 2:33

170 Aiden Peterson Medina Ohio, OH (OH) F Dominic Hittepole Trinity, NC (NC), 3:04

182 Ryder Wilder Kingsland, GA (GA) DEC Nevin Mattessich River Vale, NJ (NJ), 4-3

182 Ryan Rowe Perkasie, PA (PA) MD Connor Smalley Kempton, PA (PA), 15-7

195 Jason Singer Bally, PA (PA) F Ryder Smith Soddy Daisy, TN (TN), 3:33

195 Dante Deluca Florham Park, NJ (NJ) DEC Harry Maltese Fairfax, VA (VA), 6-5

220 Michael Mocco Parkland, FL (FL) DEC Alex Taylor Mount Vernon, OH (OH), 9-4

220 Mark Effendian Philadelphia, PA (PA) DEC Dylan Pitzer Acme, PA (PA), 6-3

285 Christopher Belmonte New Hartford, NY (NY) DEC Zayne Candelaria Tucson, AZ (AZ), 4-1

285 Caleb Rodriguez Naples, FL (FL) DEC Trayvn Boger Kamas, UT (UT), 6-5

Girls Semifinal Results

100 Jeulenea Khang Morganton, NC (NC) DEC Samantha Yap Stamford, CT (CT), 6-4

100 June Welch Woodruff, SC (SC) F Zurri Zamora Amarillo, TX (TX), 4:54

107 Madolin Ripley Owls Head, ME (ME) F Zoey Salmons Barboursville, WV (WV), 5:50

107 Teegan Sibble Bolivar, NY (NY) MD Deandra Meza Walnut, CA (CA), 18-5

114 Calli Gilchrist Norwalk, CT (CT) F Norah Swaim North Kingstown, RI (RI), 2:39

114 Kylee Golz Mission Viejo, CA (CA) DEC Sara Mclaughlin Scituate, MA (MA), 4-2

120 Carissa Qureshi Irvine, CA (CA) F Alexis Segura Thornton, CO (CO), 3:00

120 Alyssa Mahan Wilmington, DE (DE) DEC Samantha Sachs Glendora, CA (CA), 7-5 SV

126 Emily Sindoni Nichols, NY (NY) MD Evelyn Holmes-smith Enterprise, AL (AL), 14-3

126 Lexy Pabon Crofton, MD (MD) F Ciara Riner Huntington, WV (WV), 1:39

132 Lauren Walton Lexington, KY (KY) F Chloe Sanders Vinton, IA (IA), 1:33

132 Zoe Griffith Gouverneur, NY (NY) F Gianna Dibenedetto Sacramento, CA (CA), 1:11

138 Alessandra Elliott NY (NY) F Magaly Madrid Paramount, CA (CA), 0:41

138 May Prado Marietta, GA (GA) DEC Skyler Gassel Newport Beach, CA (CA), 7-3

145 Loralei Smith Ona, WV (WV) DEC Brinley Green Rawlins, WY (WY), 10-6

145 Tayla Tildsley Billerica, MA (MA) DEC Olivia Georges Bloomingdale, NJ (NJ), 10-4

152 Stella Steigler orange, VA (VA) MD Vida Beckel Cypress, CA (CA), 12-1

152 Eduarda Rodrigues Newport Beach, CA (CA) F Ruby Rios Toppenish, WA (WA), 3:52

165 Piper Fowler Cleveland, TN (TN) F Grace Leota Brooksville, FL (FL), 4:51

165 Adriana Palumbo Pleasantville, NY (NY) F Jocelyn Yepez Paramount, CA (CA), 5:19

185 Cheyenne Cruce Middleburg, FL (FL) DEC Jayde Massa Evans, GA (GA), 4-3

185 Saiheron Preciado Long Beach, CA (CA) F Trinity Lynn Gibbs, TN (TN), 0:55

235 Allie Phillips Los Angeles, CA (CA) DEC Destiny Marquez Downey, CA (CA), 3-1 SV

235 Kaylie Musard Frederick, MD (MD) F Taylor Schiesser Ellijay, GA (GA), 4:19

FOR MORE EARLY ROUNDS…

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/10784158-2023-nhsca-high-school-nationals-results-brackets-schedule

• 2 weeks later...

Dynamite Dozen Dynasties No. 6: Baylor’s tradition of wrestling success in seventh decade

April 8, 2023 at 6:00 p.m.

by Patrick MacCoon

102740993_012321d00McCallieAtBaylorWr_t8 Staff photo / Baylor's Garrison Dendy, top, wrestles McCallie's Emory Taylor in a 152-pound bout in January 2021. Dendy, who won four individual state championships from 2019-22, is among the contributors to the Red Raiders' rich legacy as a wrestling program.

EDITOR'S NOTE: This is the seventh in a series counting down the area's top 12 prep dynasties of the past 50 years.

Step inside Baylor School's Worsham Memorial Wrestling Arena, and you'll find a wall filled with pictures of state champions.

For seven decades running, the Red Raiders have produced multiple individual champs each decade, resulting in a grand total of 82 wrestlers who have finished first in their weight class to combine for a TSSAA-record 137 state titles since 1961.

Baylor's 19 team championships at the state traditional tournament — including the past five Division II crowns — also rank first in TSSAA history, and the Red Raiders have also won 13 state duals championships, with all of those coming since 2001.

Beyond its Tennessee success, Baylor is considered one of the top all-time programs in the Southeast and has received national recognition as well.

"When our wrestlers put on the Baylor singlet, they know they are representing a long storied tradition," said Red Raiders coach Rex Kendle, who has been with the program for 13 years and has served as head coach for three. "I think that gives us a little bit of extra fight when it comes to close matches or tournaments. Our kids believe they can be successful because they know that it has happened before. We take a lot of pride in our rich wrestling tradition."

The program has been a model of consistency, with all of Baylor's state championships occurring under only four head coaches: Luke Worsham (1950-85), Jim Morgan (1986-2010), Ben Nelson (2011-20) and Kendle.

The Red Raiders have yet another TSSSA record with 11 winners of the most outstanding wrestler award at the state traditional tournament, and they have 10 individuals with at least four state championships. Zach Watson, who graduated in 2012, is one of just three five-time individual champions in TSSAA history.

Meanwhile, Jordan Leen is in extremely rare company, as the four-time state champion and 2004 Baylor graduate is one of only two high school wrestlers from the state of Tennessee to win an NCAA Division I championship. Now the head coach at Brown University, Leen won the 2008 title at 157 pounds for Cornell University, where he was a three-time All-American and had a career record of 118-29.

(The other Tennessee high school wrestler to win an NCAA D-I title was St. Andrew's-Sewanee graduate Bill Harlow, who was undefeated at 191 pounds as a senior for the Oklahoma Sooners in 1966.)

Baylor's Khamari Whimper became Tennessee's first national prep champion since 1971 when he won the prestigious tournament held at Lehigh University in 2017. Mason Reiniche (class of 2019) was a three-time national prep runner-up, while David Harper (2022) and Omaury Alvarez (2023) also were finalists at the tournament, which has been held 88 times. The Red Raiders have produced a state-best 26 prep All-Americans since Tennessee was invited back to the tourney in 2015. Baylor has had 62 All-Americans in its history and 11 national champions.

Reiniche went 9-0 this past season for Oregon State at 174 pounds in his sophomore campaign. He was also a NHSCA national champion, a two-time NHSCA runner-up and a Team USA member in the United World Wrestling Cadet Championships.

"What makes Baylor really special is that the program has such a long tradition," Kendle said. "There are people here now whose grandparents were state champs. Even in the down years team-wise, they were still producing state champions, and we are proud of the success we have had at the national level as of late, too."

Baylor's fifth straight D-II traditional title was won on Feb. 18, when the Red Raiders finished with 227.5 team points to hold off runner-up Father Ryan (217), earning a bit of payback after the Fighting Irish beat the Red Raiders 33-28 to win the DII-AAA state duals championship two weeks earlier. That loss had ended a run of four straight duals titles for the Red Raiders.

"We were not favored to win a state title this past year. We had to upset Father Ryan," Kendle said. "Since I have been here, this was our least likely championship ever. We had to coach this group up more than any group. I think everyone expects us to keep winning because we have been so dominant, but we really had to work for this one and had to flip a lot of matches.

"We have to work really hard to stay at the top because there are a lot of teams gunning for us and hungry to get where we are."

Contact Patrick MacCoon at pmaccoon@timesfreepress.com.

McMinnville Press Coverage

All-American wrestlers

Seth_and_Aidan_post_Nationals.max-1200x675.jpgSeth and Aidan post Nationals.jpg Brothers Seth, left, and Aidan Lindsay had great showings at Adidas Nationals in Missouri

Zerek_Keel.max-1200x675.jpgZerek Keel.jpg
Photo provided Zerek Keel, pictured, and Seth Lindsay were named All-Americans after stellar performances at Adidas Nationals.

Being among the best on the mat in Tennessee wasn't enough for three local high school wrestlers. Zerek Keel, Seth Lindsay and Aidan Lindsay are proving to be some of the top grapplers in the country too.

The trio of local wrestlers proved they can compete with anybody over the weekend in Missouri. All three competed in the Adidas National tournament in Columbus, with two earning All-American status.

Keel, who has already advanced to the TSSAA state tournament twice as a WCHS Pioneers, finished sixth at the event in the 192-pound sophomore division to earn major recognition. Seth Lindsay, competing in the 163-pound junior division, was also named an All-American for his sixth-place finish over the weekend as well.

Aidan was just one win away from joining his teammates as an Adidas All-American, but still came away with three wins in the 115-pound freshman division.

The best amateur wrestlers in the nation made the journey to Missouri last week and Keel and the Lindsay brothers were going to make sure they made it to the mats as well. Competing with Ground Zero wrestling, a squad based out of Manchester, the trio helped show that Middle Tennessee wrestlers are among the best in the country. Ground Zero took 10 athletes to the event and six were named All-Americans, including Seth and Keel, as the team ended up placing 13th in points out of over 150 teams. 

On their way to All-American honors, both Seth and Keel won three matches apiece. Seth earned all his victories by pinfall, including two that took less than a minute to complete. Seth had wins in 49 and 53 seconds and only fell to the consolation bracket when he lost to the eventual winner in the quarterfinals.

Keel showed his endurance in his wins, going the distance in back-to-back matches at one point. He had a SV win (which required extra time after a 0-0 tie through three rounds) and also won 6-4 to get to the podium.

Aidan's highlights included a 12-0 major victory and a pinfall win in the second run of a consolation match.

Cleveland High School's Piper Fowler and National Champion To Represent Team USA In Istanbul, Turkey
        Monday, April 17, 2023

THE CHATTANOOGAN

Piper Fowler and her coach, Josh Bosken
Piper Fowler, a sophomore on the girls’ wrestling team at Cleveland High School, won the U17 Freestyle National Championship on Saturday in Spokane, Wa. After winning three matches to reach the finals, she faced off against the #3 ranked girl in the country in a best-of-three finals. Piper dominated both matches, winning 5-1 and 10-2, to claim the title of tU17 National Champion.
This impressive victory means that Piper will represent Team USA at the U17 World Championships in Istanbul, Turkey, which will be held in August. Piper has worked tirelessly to reach this point and is excited to have the opportunity to compete on a world stage.

"This is the first time anyone in the history of Tennessee Girls Wrestling has done something of this magnitude," Coach Josh Bosken said.
In addition to her success on the mat, Piper is also a straight-A student. Her dedication and hard work have paid off in a big way, and she is an inspiration to young wrestlers everywhere.
School officials said, "We congratulate her on this incredible achievement and wish her the best of luck as she represents Team USA in Istanbul!"

Just now, soms2 said:

Cleveland High School's Piper Fowler and National Champion To Represent Team USA In Istanbul, Turkey
        Monday, April 17, 2023

THE CHATTANOOGAN

Piper Fowler and her coach, Josh Bosken
Piper Fowler, a sophomore on the girls’ wrestling team at Cleveland High School, won the U17 Freestyle National Championship on Saturday in Spokane, Wa. After winning three matches to reach the finals, she faced off against the #3 ranked girl in the country in a best-of-three finals. Piper dominated both matches, winning 5-1 and 10-2, to claim the title of tU17 National Champion.
This impressive victory means that Piper will represent Team USA at the U17 World Championships in Istanbul, Turkey, which will be held in August. Piper has worked tirelessly to reach this point and is excited to have the opportunity to compete on a world stage.

"This is the first time anyone in the history of Tennessee Girls Wrestling has done something of this magnitude," Coach Josh Bosken said.
In addition to her success on the mat, Piper is also a straight-A student. Her dedication and hard work have paid off in a big way, and she is an inspiration to young wrestlers everywhere.
School officials said, "We congratulate her on this incredible achievement and wish her the best of luck as she represents Team USA in Istanbul!"

Note to self and anyone that cares… My kids just reminded me that some of these fine Fowlers were baby sit by at least one of the Sommers kids a few years back and they (we) absolutely loved that family, still do from a distance:thumb:

…so proud of Piper, who was in our 11-12 year old SS class with something like 18 kids In there. Her and Logan were much more mild mannered there. Still quite humble even today it appears :!:

5 hours ago, soms2 said:

1.  That was a horrific act of a wrestler being a coward in defeat.

2.  Was the lady on the mat a certified athletic trainer or mother?  Moms and dads have no business on the mat, court, field, ect... unless it is a terrible injury, and they are summoned by the official or coach to go to the mat.  Today's parents are much too involved and need to learn how to stay in the bleachers.  The officials and coaches know how to handle the problems.

3 hours ago, cbg said:

1.  That was a horrific act of a wrestler being a coward in defeat.

2.  Was the lady on the mat a certified athletic trainer or mother?  Moms and dads have no business on the mat, court, field, ect... unless it is a terrible injury, and they are summoned by the official or coach to go to the mat.  Today's parents are much too involved and need to learn how to stay in the bleachers.  The officials and coaches know how to handle the problems.

I disagree with point two in this case.  The injury was a broken nose, but I think that was determined later.