it has been 25 years since .....

The Pride of Tn. Todd Helton Won Mr. Football  (1991)

For those of you who don't know, Todd was  a stand out player in Football back in 1991.   He played QB.  He could have played any pos. 

He took home many awards back then, but no one really knew  which sport that he would end up playing.  He ended up being a two sport  athlete in College. You don't see that much anymore. He picked baseball and ended up going pro.

I really don't think it mattered. He could have been a Pro either way.I was actually very impressed with his play at  QB (at UT).  

I  am not a  UT fan, But when I was home from College- i found myself going to see him play baseball. He really was a man amoung boys

I can't tell you how proud i was when i was out in Denver (when he was playing) and I was seeing Number 17 t shirts and Jerseys everywhere. 

A quiet man.. Todd did his talking on the field- court or on the diamond.

As a native of Tn. I just wanted  to say Congrats, Todd. We are all very proud of you. 

I can't wait to write another dedication when he goes  into the MLB- HOF to one of the best pospects to ever come out of the state of tn.

Edited by Runswithknife

Todd Helton was a good player and I used to coach baseball with his cousin.. however, I think you you may be jumping the gun a little on his HOF induction.. There are guys lined up with more HRs and rings waiting to get the nod. I think that the fact he played in Coors field will actually hurt his chances due to guys like Larry Walker...that played there and put up bigger numbers. JMO, hope he gets in.

Todd Helton was a good player and I used to coach baseball with his cousin.. however, I think you you may be jumping the gun a little on his HOF induction.. There are guys lined up with more HRs and rings waiting to get the nod. I think that the fact he played in Coors field will actually hurt his chances due to guys like Larry Walker...that played there and put up bigger numbers. JMO, hope he gets in.

me too!

Todd Helton was a good player and I used to coach baseball with his cousin.. however, I think you you may be jumping the gun a little on his HOF induction.. There are guys lined up with more HRs and rings waiting to get the nod. I think that the fact he played in Coors field will actually hurt his chances due to guys like Larry Walker...that played there and put up bigger numbers. JMO, hope he gets in.

Yeah, as great of a player as Todd Helton was, I just don't see him getting into the HOF anytime soon unfortunately. 

The back injury midway through his career may have hurt his chance to get into the HOF soon. Playing at Coors Field may hurt some also because his B.A. at home was around .343 but .287 away. He hit two thirds of his home runs at home also. Just glad someone from Knoxville went to the majors and had a career like that. Also very glad I got to see him play in high school also.

The back injury midway through his career may have hurt his chance to get into the HOF soon. Playing at Coors Field may hurt some also because his B.A. at home was around .343 but .287 away. He hit two thirds of his home runs at home also. Just glad someone from Knoxville went to the majors and had a career like that. Also very glad I got to see him play in high school also.

in HS, I have never seen a player like that before -he could hit like no one's business. And fielding, I don't care where you hit the ball - he was there! I have never seen anything like it in HS Baseball since.

Todd is hall of fame in my book. A VFL also. One thing that Todd Helton did that I liked was him defending Peyton Manning. Colts general manager was criticizing Peyton Manning. Todd got on a radio talk show and ripped that general manager big time.

He was a true leader . But it seems as a VFL he has not been around UT that much. I have always wondered why. Edited by Runswithknife

I agree Mr. Helton. As his dad I am sure you're very proud of him. I would be too. I remember my dad took me to a OR/Central game back when your boy played for them. Him and Bubba Trammel both ended up going to the MLB. OR had some good teams back then, but your son hit a home run against us and I don't think it has landed yet.

Edited by SweetScience

I agree Mr. Helton. As his dad I am sure you're very proud of him. I would be too. I remember my dad took me to a OR/Central game back when your boy played for them. Him and Bubba Trammel both ended up going to the MLB. OR had some good teams back then, but your son hit a home run against us and I don't think it has landed yet.

This made me chuckle