Best coaches?

thegame523

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haywood is a hotbed for talent, they always put a good team on the floor. Not saying he is not a good coach, but can he coach if he didn't have the talent is my question. Anyone can coach talent. Can he rebuild a program is what I'm saying. That would put him in another category.

Anyone can't coach talent.

I don't think you can hold it against a guy's coaching ability if he happens to have the players.

IMO, I think the best coaches are the ones who sustain excellence over time (i.e. program builders) but winning a state championship(s) isn't necessary to prove you are a great coach. IMO, great players are much more necessary than great coaching when it comes to winning state titles. If it was just coaching, the best coaches would win titles every year in hoops.

Even in football, I think guys like Quarles and Rankin should be considered great coaches because of the sustained excellence of their programs, not because of their number of state titles. They have racked up the state titles because they have better players than their opponents, generally speaking. Nick Saban didn't win national titles at Michigan State but was the same coach there as he has been at LSU and Alabama.

Very well said. The best coaches are the ones that do more with less talent every year. Talented players make terrible coaches look good.

I don't think you can hold it against a guy's coaching ability if he happens to have the players.

IMO, I think the best coaches are the ones who sustain excellence over time (i.e. program builders) but winning a state championship(s) isn't necessary to prove you are a great coach. IMO, great players are much more necessary than great coaching when it comes to winning state titles. If it was just coaching, the best coaches would win titles every year in hoops.

Even in football, I think guys like Quarles and Rankin should be considered great coaches because of the sustained excellence of their programs, not because of their number of state titles. They have racked up the state titles because they have better players than their opponents, generally speaking. Nick Saban didn't win national titles at Michigan State but was the same coach there as he has been at LSU and Alabama.

You had some good points until the highlighted statement. I align myself with those who think that their players are great because they know and complete their assignments. Discipline and continuity will beat athletes until the talent level of the athletic team is a wide margin above the more disciplined team. Not saying that Alcoa or Maryville have "dead fish" on the field...just saying that they don't win all those championships because of great athletes. The Whitehaven team that the horrible call gave the gold ball to against Maryville a few years back had scholarship players coming off the bench, and several starters had DI offers from big schools...Maryville played them to a standstill with (no disrespect to the Reb's) a handful of juco hopefuls. Great teams have the Jimmy's and Joe's...but also the xxx's and ooo's.

Edited by tradertwo

Haywood is a hotbed for talent, they always put a good team on the floor. Not saying he is not a good coach, but can he coach if he didn't have the talent is my question. Anyone can coach talent. Can he rebuild a program is what I'm saying. That would put him in another category.

Every time you respond you keep giving ammo as to why Dancy is a good coach.  Haywood IS a hotbed for talent but why were they never able to put a championship team on the floor. They lacked discipline and played "me first" ball. They had NBA players like Delk and Varnardo but never got out of the first round, if they even got out of their district.  If all this talent was in Haywood why hadnt they won until he came?  If anyone could coach talent why didnt any of those previous talent laden Haywood team win a state championship?

I know people might not like him personally but you cant hold that against what this guy has done.

I'd put Fuller at South Side ahead of Dancy. Hes built a solid program and still get quality wins after losing outstanding players like Merriweather, Barford, Hicks and Mcneal. Anxious to see how his team does this year.

Im not comparing Dancy against any other coach or their accomplishments. I think he has done a good job with what he has to work with. The post was about "Best Coaches" and IMO Dancy is one of the best around.  

You had some good points until the highlighted statement. I align myself with those who think that their players are great because they know and complete their assignments. Discipline and continuity will beat athletes until the talent level of the athletic team is a wide margin above the more disciplined team. Not saying that Alcoa or Maryville have "dead fish" on the field...just saying that they don't win all those championships because of great athletes. The Whitehaven team that the horrible call gave the gold ball to against Maryville a few years back had scholarship players coming off the bench, and several starters had DI offers from big schools...Maryville played them to a standstill with (no disrespect to the Reb's) a handful of juco hopefuls. Great teams have the Jimmy's and Joe's...but also the xxx's and ooo's.

I didn't mean to hijack thread by bringing up Quarles and Rankin- should have known better, LOL.

You are right- Maryville does not have talent edge every year. But they almost always have enough players to not be overwhelmed physically by the most talented teams in TN and Quarles usually outcoaches the opposing coaches by a wide margin, both in terms of pre game preparation and with on the fly adjustments.

In basketball, I agree with you that the best coaches are the ones who get the most out of their talent year in, year out and most of the names I have seen mentioned on here are definitely good coaches.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen one private school coach. Who are the best in private schools?

Hubie smith and Bubba Luckett. Hubie's won several times in private and public school. I dont really have to go on a long tagent of his abilities bc his players are generally very disciplined and he makes tremendous adjustments, he also has a 5 star PG at his disposal. And Bubba continues to have success without recruiting players which is rare in private school basketball among the top teams, 57-3 over the past two years can't be overlooked. It seems that they graduate 2-3 starters a year and continue to the best private team in West TN. 

Edited by TonyG

I haven't seen one private school coach. Who are the best in private schools?

In the Knoxville area Hutchens, Wells, and Doig but all three coach in D1and all three play competitive schedules without the talent that most D2 schools have. In Chattanooga Shulman, and Clark, I'm not sure who coaches at Ensworth and Brentwood Academy but they do an excellent job so does a Maddox at CPA. But I'm sure some will point out that they have an advantage. Just my opinion. Edited by QSouth89