3 D-II Classes in 2017

TnTxn

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on 2014-15 enrollment numbers, this would leave the following number of schools in each division (assuming all privates opt for D-II):

A - 19 (Columbia Academy not included)

AA - 20 (includes Brentwood Academy and Ensworth)

AAA - 10

Embarrassing day for TSSAA and Board of Control. Split at 530 opens the door for JP2 and Briarcrest to move down (as well as BA and Ensworth). Can't imagine Knoxville Catholic moves as they would be only school in Knoxville in AAA. Oh and 530 protects Lipscomb and Webb from playing in AAA. Coincidence that Lipscomb and Webb administrators are on Board of Control. AAA will be back to the old Super 7.

Embarrassing day for TSSAA and Board of Control. Split at 530 opens the door for JP2 and Briarcrest to move down (as well as BA and Ensworth). Can't imagine Knoxville Catholic moves as they would be only school in Knoxville in AAA. Oh and 530 protects Lipscomb and Webb from playing in AAA. Coincidence that Lipscomb and Webb administrators are on Board of Control. AAA will be back to the old Super 7.

JP2 needs to move down to help build their program.  It's been a long time since they were able to compete with the teams in D2AA and there are no signs pointing to the fact they are going to be able to compete in the near future. 

It would make more sense for Catholic to stay on the public side and move to 5A with a region that could look like back a few years ago when they were with Knox west, Maryville, Lenior City, and so on. That would be way less travel instead of going to Nashville 2 or 3 times a year Chattanooga once or twice, and then what ever they would do non region wise

Edited by Rhea Co.

Agreed.  Very embarrassing.  Are JP2 and Briarcrest's numbers below 530?  Either way, the "Super 7" and Knox Catholic (if they were seriously considering moving to D2) got hung out to dry.  If everyone stays where they are, AAA will have 3 Memphis teams, 2 Nashville, and 2 Chattanooga.  Crazy.  Do these schools want Ensworth and BA to play up?  I can see both sides.

And it seems TSSAA has put Ensworth and BA in a tough position.  (I can't imagine why they would want to do that.  Sarcasm intended.)  TSSAA probably expects them to move up.  "Why wouldn't they want to compete against the biggest and best?"  D2-AA without those schools is much more inviting for the D1 privates to switch to D2.  If they move up, AAA would increase to 9 schools, likely with at least one guaranteed trip to Memphis and Chattanooga each year for regular season games.  And then they still have to go out of state to fill their non-region games.

But if they decide to stay in AA, how many D1 privates who would play AA if they switch to D2 will decide to stay in D1?  On my count based on 2014 numbers, there are 9 D1 privates that would be in AA.  The publics want them out.  So if they decide to stay in D1 because Ensworth and BA decide to stay in AA, all the publics will despise those two schools even more than they already do - if that is possible.  Ha.  

Dumb and disappointing ruling.....

Agreed.  Very embarrassing.  Are JP2 and Briarcrest's numbers below 530?  Either way, the "Super 7" and Knox Catholic (if they were seriously considering moving to D2) got hung out to dry.  If everyone stays where they are, AAA will have 3 Memphis teams, 2 Nashville, and 2 Chattanooga.  Crazy.  Do these schools want Ensworth and BA to play up?  I can see both sides.

And it seems TSSAA has put Ensworth and BA in a tough position.  (I can't imagine why they would want to do that.  Sarcasm intended.)  TSSAA probably expects them to move up.  "Why wouldn't they want to compete against the biggest and best?"  D2-AA without those schools is much more inviting for the D1 privates to switch to D2.  If they move up, AAA would increase to 9 schools, likely with at least one guaranteed trip to Memphis and Chattanooga each year for regular season games.  And then they still have to go out of state to fill their non-region games.

But if they decide to stay in AA, how many D1 privates who would play AA if they switch to D2 will decide to stay in D1?  On my count based on 2014 numbers, there are 9 D1 privates that would be in AA.  The publics want them out.  So if they decide to stay in D1 because Ensworth and BA decide to stay in AA, all the publics will despise those two schools even more than they already do - if that is possible.  Ha.  

Dumb and disappointing ruling.....

I personally don't despise, or even dislike Ensworth or BA. They play in the "correct" division, and choose to play tough competition rather than attempt to be placed in a division where they hold a perpetual advantage. The privates who reside in DI could definitely take some inspiration from the actions of these two schools, rather than fight tooth and nail to remain in the "public" division.

Edited by tradertwo

I personally don't despise, or even dislike Ensworth or BA. They play in the "correct" division, and choose to play tough competition rather than attempt to be placed in a division where they hold a perpetual advantage. The privates who reside in DI could definitely take some inspiration from the actions of these two schools, rather than fight tooth and nail to remain in the "public" division.

Trader I don't think all privates are that way. I think a lot of the decisions come from travel cost. Take TCA. We play St George, ECS, USJ already. It is not that we don't want to compete. We are a 1a enrollment and with the multiplier we are 2a. No complaints just line up and compete. A school our size even though we are private money is a big issue. I personly think all schools should be like Ensworth. Stop trying to Divide all classes out so everyone gets a trophy. It won't be long before the publics hollar for open enrollment be divided out. Much respect for youTrader but I like the good ole days. 3 classes and compete. Edited by BigEdMo

As always T$$AA, appears to have goat roped this thing again......accepted none of the recommendations presented to them by the representatives....530 and 265?.....not sure exactly how they came up with the 2 cuttoff numbers; but it has the smell of fish or guano on it.............can see 525 or 500 and 250 or 275; but those other 2; REALLY.......and to decide u only put a required 7 schools in the upper class......

one thing is for sure; there is no perfect scenario......can be better for some than others; depending on how u stack up in the food chain.....Boogers thought all alone the numbers should be around 475 and 250;.....Booger also thinks that a coed 475 student body is not the same as an all male 475 student body for example; when it comes to sports.....the all male schools have a real advantage on the sports stage.....but not sure how to address that, cause Booger hates the multiplier

dont know if MBA, Brentwood Academy, Ensworth or MUS play up or not; they sure have the right to play where T$$AA slotted them; though Booger would like for MBA and MUS to move up cause of the All-male factor.....who nose, maybe a few of those schools for recruiting purposes will feel like its beneath them to not compete in the top class

Booger is exciting to see how his ND Fighting Irish wash in this new classification arrangement; line up and play and see how we man up....if we are out of our league; then the players, coaches and supporting cast will just have to work a little harder.....one thing is for sure; there are some Chattanooga schools new to DII that thinkin this really sucs

still smellin that T$$AA quano

Booger just sayin 6390.gif

Trader I don't think all privates are that way. I think a lot of the decisions come from travel cost. Take TCA. We play St George, ECS, USJ already. It is not that we don't want to compete. We are a 1a enrollment and with the multiplier we are 2a. No complaints just line up and compete. A school our size even though we are private money is a big issue. I personly think all schools should be like Ensworth. Stop trying to Divide all classes out so everyone gets a trophy. It won't be long before the publics hollar for open enrollment be divided out. Much respect for youTrader but I like the good ole days. 3 classes and compete.

Wasn't meaning to imply that TCA dodges anyone...USJ is a no brainer, but seeking out St. Georges and ECS speaks volumes about your willingness to compete. My viewpoint doesn't stem from any particular school, but purely the logistics of acquiring students from the surrounding population. Again...not making accusations, just illuminating the differences.

A public school's classification is dictated by surrounding population, and athletic potential of each student is pure chance. No changing that.

A private school's classification can be controlled...potential students can be admitted or denied at the discretion of the school, and " IF " it were a priority to do so, teams could be recruited and selected from an immense population pool without increasing overall numbers enough to be forced up in classification.

That, in a nutshell, sums up the difference between public and private institutions...not that anyone is or isn't doing anything "wrong", just the simple fact that the opportunity exists (without any TSSAA restriction) for any private playing in DI to exercise this advantage.

I genuinely appreciate the TCA teams, fans, and administration...first rate all the way, but what I feel is "fair" is to separate first, then do the numbers.

Wasn't meaning to imply that TCA dodges anyone...USJ is a no brainer, but seeking out St. Georges and ECS speaks volumes about your willingness to compete. My viewpoint doesn't stem from any particular school, but purely the logistics of acquiring students from the surrounding population. Again...not making accusations, just illuminating the differences.

A public school's classification is dictated by surrounding population, and athletic potential of each student is pure chance. No changing that.

A private school's classification can be controlled...potential students can be admitted or denied at the discretion of the school, and " IF " it were a priority to do so, teams could be recruited and selected from an immense population pool without increasing overall numbers enough to be forced up in classification.

That, in a nutshell, sums up the difference between public and private institutions...not that anyone is or isn't doing anything "wrong", just the simple fact that the opportunity exists (without any TSSAA restriction) for any private playing in DI to exercise this advantage.

I genuinely appreciate the TCA teams, fans, and administration...first rate all the way, but what I feel is "fair" is to separate first, then do the numbers.

I can understand that Trader and I believe that there is cheating at times. But it is in the publics also. Publics that have their open enrollment will have a light shed on it in the near future. When the privates are gone then the complaint will be how a kid from Chester County is now going to a school in Mcnairy County. You can call it open enrollment but it is just a cover for recruiting. Personally I like playing the publics from our Region and your region. Good gritty kids and they give little more nasty to us privates and try to rub it in our face. to me that makes it fun. Good luck to the Hill and see y'all down there soon.