Oak Ridge vs. Clinton Wk. 1

boyfromsi

It's High School Football, not life. I have come to find out that their are a lot more important things in life than a HS football game. What's even more dumbfounding is that you can dislike a person who lives 10 minutes from you, simply because they root for another football team full of 15,16, and 17 year olds, and you being a grown man. Now THAT is dumbfounding lol

+100

It's High School Football, not life. I have come to find out that their are a lot more important things in life than a HS football game. What's even more dumbfounding is that you can dislike a person who lives 10 minutes from you, simply because they root for another football team full of 15,16, and 17 year olds, and you being a grown man. Now THAT is dumbfounding lol

It's ok SS...we just differ on this but I'm not going to say you're wrong. I'm just way more passionate about OR football than you. Do Alabama fans, a week before the Auburn game, express "best wishes" to Auburn....NO!  Do Tennessee fans, a week before the Florida game, express "best wishes" to the Gators...NO!  Do Ohio State fans, a week before they play Michigan, express "best wishes" to Michigan...NO!  Do Riverdale fans, a week before they play Oakland, express "best wishes" to Oakland...NO!  The list goes on and I'll conclude by saying that a week before our Wildcats play the Dragons that I simply can't bring myself to say "best wishes" to Clinton....maybe in two weeks, but not now....but that's just me, and I'm sure that I'll be the scourge of coacht for being honest. And by the way, in three weeks, don't expect "the scourge of coacht' to say "best wishes" to Farragut!!!!!!!

That's fine. I'll just be honest. This stuff doesn't hold the same significance to me now as did even two years ago. Things happen in your life, and you grow out of certain things, and other things become more important to you. Don't get me wrong I still love OR football, but I have pit it into a place where my happiness doesn't depend upon them winning or losing. We have folks dying of starvation in the world, homeless folks, people being oppressed and disenfranchised, suffering all sorts of violence and afflictions. Those things bear more weight to me than worrying about offending a fellow coach t'er by offering a gesture to an opposing team, or about a game full of young kids. Anyway, looking forward to the game coming up.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Upvote 1

That's fine. I'll just be honest. This stuff doesn't hold the same significance to me now as did even two years ago. Things happen in your life, and you grow out of certain things, and other things become more important to you. Don't get me wrong I still love OR football, but I have pit it into a place where my happiness doesn't depend upon them winning or losing. We have folks dying of starvation in the world, homeless folks, people being oppressed and disenfranchised, suffering all sorts of violence and afflictions. Those things bear more weight to me than worrying about offending a fellow coach t'er by offering a gesture to an opposing team, or about a game full of young kids. Anyway, looking forward to the game coming up.

First of all, I agree that the game may be close because I have no idea how good OR will be this season. Your last response is pretty deep (as in thoughtful and involved). This is high school football and I don't feel conflicted because I love it or I'm passionate about it and I don't think world hunger or starvation will be made worse because I passionately love OR football. I hate cops being killed across the country, I hate innocent people being killed by police, I hate ISIS but that has nothing to do with my passion for OR football but I understand that it does for you. As I said before, neither of us is wrong because we are both telling the truth. World events, as bad as some are, simply do not decrease my passion for the things that I love. You're a good guy SS....we are just different.

That wasn't my point, Cats. My point was sometime in life you have to prioritize the things that really matter in your life. At this point in my life my priorities are being a true follower of Christ, and my son. Everything else comes in a far distant 2nd, including OR football.

Edited by SweetScience

That wasn't my point, Cats. My point was sometime in life you have to prioritize the things that really matter in your life. At this point in my life my priorities are being a true follower of Christ, and my son. Everything else comes in a far distant 2nd, including OR football.

I couldn't agree with you more, as I am a strong Christian, but that hasn't made me any less passionate about OR football or my desire for OR to beat Clinton. Tim Tebow is a great Christian man but his passion to compete is still great. But don't take this as a criticism....I hear you and I respect you.

I couldn't agree with you more, as I am a strong Christian, but that hasn't made me any less passionate about OR football or my desire for OR to beat Clinton. Tim Tebow is a great Christian man but his passion to compete is still great. But don't take this as a criticism....I hear you and I respect you.

And it hasn't me either. I'm still passionate about it, but as I was saying. In the past I would let it affect my attitude. I don't want it to have that effect on me anymore, although I do still love it. To me life is just too short to place that much value on a game played by kids. Edited by SweetScience

And it hasn't me either. I'm still passionate about it, but as I was saying. In the past I would let it affect my attitude. I don't want it to have that effect on me anymore, although I do still love it. To me life is just too short to place that much value on a game played by kids.

SS, I've got a great story for you. My first memories of watching football were in the late 80s. One game still stands out to me. My dad and I were watching the 1988 Ohio State-LSU game, John Cooper's first season. LSU was up by two scores with a few minutes left to play. The game was pretty much over, so he angrily turned the TV off, and I got ready for bed. When he tucked me in, he says that I quietly said to him, "Dad, I'm sorry that your team lost." To this day, he says that was one of the lowest moments of his life because I was fully aware of how that game effected him. That was the turning point of his fandom. He loves Ohio State, but I've never seen it effect him the same way ever since that game. My daughter is 7 months old, and I hope that I can teach her the same lesson, without having that same low moment.

Ironically, my grandma called from Columbus the next morning and asked if we watched the game. We didn't know that Ohio State stunned LSU with 2 TDs in the final 2 minutes. So I guess the other moral of the story is you never give up on your team. :D