Oak Ridge vs. Clinton Wk. 1

boyfromsi

SS, I've got a great story for you. My first memories of watching football were in the late 80s. One game still stands out to me. My dad and I were watching the 1988 Ohio State-LSU game, John Cooper's first season. LSU was up by two scores with a few minutes left to play. The game was pretty much over, so he angrily turned the TV off, and I got ready for bed. When he tucked me in, he says that I quietly said to him, "Dad, I'm sorry that your team lost." To this day, he says that was one of the lowest moments of his life because I was fully aware of how that game effected him. That was the turning point of his fandom. He loves Ohio State, but I've never seen it effect him the same way ever since that game. My daughter is 7 months old, and I hope that I can teach her the same lesson, without having that same low moment.

Ironically, my grandma called from Columbus the next morning and asked if we watched the game. We didn't know that Ohio State stunned LSU with 2 TDs in the final 2 minutes. So I guess the other moral of the story is you never give up on your team. :D

That's sweet, Nut. I remember John Madden telling a similar story one time. He said he had come home from being away for a long time to his son and wife (football of course had taken up most all of his time in his life), and he said that he went into his sons room to give him a goodnight kiss and tuck him in. He suddenly noticed how much his son had grown, and that his son and him weren't very close, if much at all. He said he felt as if his son hardly even knew him much at all. John said at that point was when football became way less important to him and was the start of him becoming more focused on his family and life beyond football. I'd say many other coaches through the years could tell a similar story. I guess the moral of that story is what I was alluding to earlier about prioritizing things in your life that actually matter beyond this life.

• Upvote 1

OK, I'm going to butt in here and give my two cents worth. SS, brother you got it figured out! Been there, done that in my younger days and spent many a weekend miserable if the Eagles and or the Vols lost. So miserable that I wasn't pleasant to be around which distracted my responsibilities as a Christian, a husband, a father and as a friend.

Getting your priorities straight and realizing as much as we love this game- it is just a game being played by kids- doesn't mean your not "as passionate" or "competitive as that lunatic that that gets upset and stomps up and down on the bleachers or screams at the TV as if the team or coaches can hear him. It just means you have you have the 3F's in order:

1) Faith

2) Family

3) Football

Catswild. I have never met you or SS but just from what I have read it's hard for me to believe that anyone could be more passionate about OR football than SweetScience.

Myself, I love football - especially high school but over the years it has moved way down the list of priorities in my life and I am a better and happier person for it. Best wishes to ALL for a safe, successful and entertaining season.

• Upvote 1

OK, I'm going to butt in here and give my two cents worth. SS, brother you got it figured out! Been there, done that in my younger days and spent many a weekend miserable if the Eagles and or the Vols lost. So miserable that I wasn't pleasant to be around which distracted my responsibilities as a Christian, a husband, a father and as a friend.

Getting your priorities straight and realizing as much as we love this game- it is just a game being played by kids- doesn't mean your not "as passionate" or "competitive as that lunatic that that gets upset and stomps up and down on the bleachers or screams at the TV as if the team or coaches can hear him. It just means you have you have the 3F's in order:

1) Faith

2) Family

3) Football

Catswild. I have never met you or SS but just from what I have read it's hard for me to believe that anyone could be more passionate about OR football than SweetScience.

Myself, I love football - especially high school but over the years it has moved way down the list of priorities in my life and I am a better and happier person for it. Best wishes to ALL for a safe, successful and entertaining season.

Good stuff, RC. You're right, I am just as passionate as I always was, but I can't dislike another team or their fans anymore. I still have my moments of course when I get mad (far from perfect or trying to say I'm holier than thou or anything of that matter) and still like to have fun and be crazy and have a wild sense of humor. Jesus didn't call us to live by holiness codes, but merely to love our fellow man. I just find it hard to dislike anyone anymore, especially when it's dealing with football. As a kid I used to get so mad, heck, even the past few years I still have, but I let it roll off my back and get over it a lot more easily now than I have in even the past year or two. Wishing a team and their fans best wishes to me (even to an rival team like Clinton) just feels like the thing to do anymore. Life is too short man. 

Edited by SweetScience

Good stuff, RC. You're right, I am just as passionate as I always was, but I can't dislike another team or their fans anymore. I still have my moments of course when I get mad (far from perfect or trying to say I'm holier than thou or anything of that matter) and still like to have fun and be crazy and have a wild sense of humor. Jesus didn't call us to live by holiness codes, but merely to love our fellow man. I just find it hard to dislike anyone anymore, especially when it's dealing with football. As a kid I used to get so mad, heck, even the past few years I still have, but I let it roll off my back and get over it a lot more easily now than I have in even the past year or two. Wishing a team and their fans best wishes to me (even to an rival team like Clinton) just feels like the thing to do anymore. Life is too short man.

Except Maryville rofl!

I've decided that some of you are just CRAZY!  I'm passionate about my team and I make no apologies for it and my passion for my team doesn't make me an atheist or a "bad Christian". I don't "hate" Clinton but I'm not wishing them well this year until 10:00 Thursday night. If that makes my priorities out of whack, then they're out of whack. I also put God first, family second, and football third and I don't believe that my passion for OR football makes me less of a Christian than some of you!  ROLL WILDCATS ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!