Peabody host Middleton

JungleJim125

That comes from inside. Someone close to the program confided to me that the basketball players have been "strongly discouraged" from playing other sports...both boys and girls. Maybe it's true, maybe not, but I can't recall any players who get significant minutes on the court that have played football, baseball, or softball. If I didn't feel that my source was accurate, there never would have been a post from me.

You are probably right. I recalled seeing a couple names overlap on rosters and assumed it was a choice thing. Middleton having 49 kids which someone mentioned earlier sounds promising for the future though.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are probably right. I recalled seeing a couple names overlap on rosters and assumed it was a choice thing. Middleton having 49 kids which someone mentioned earlier sounds promising for the future though.

Middleton does have more kids out this year, which is a good thing for the future.  But the majority of those kids are freshmen or kids who are playing football for the first time.  Before the season started Middleton had 1 kid on the roster who had ever scored a td in a varsity game. They are very, very young.    

Also, this year there are 5 guys on the roster who also play basketball, 1 is a freshman, 3 are sophmores who have never played football before, and 1 is a senior. 

Edited by Crock1615

Middleton does have more kids out this year, which is a good thing for the future.  But the majority of those kids are freshmen or kids who are playing football for the first time.  Before the season started Middleton had 1 kid on the roster who had ever scored a td in a varsity game. They are very, very young.    

Also, this year there are 5 guys on the roster who also play basketball, 1 is a freshman, 3 are sophmores who have never played football before, and 1 is a senior. 

The thing most people don't realize is just how good Middleton should be at football. With a decent youth program, and the right coaching staff, the Tigers could be the South Pitt of the western part of the state. For the past 30 or so years the basketball team has never lacked numerous gifted athletes and plenty of depth, with conditioning being their "trademark".

I can definitely agree that Middleton could be better at football solely because they clearly have good athletes on the basketball court. However, being the South Pitt of West Tenn is far-fetched in my opinion. It takes a lot more than just good skill position athletes to be an elite team. Besides, every school has their priority sport and it's almost impossible to win big at 2 in 1A simply because they compete in practice time as well as community interest and boosters to provide the programs with the means to generate good coaching, facilities and necessities required to compete at a high level.