Paying to Park question

logcabinman

I think it's ridiculous that cheapskates moan about paying to park when they know the money will be put to good use.

For me its not a whine, but principle.  There was a time that I had 3 of my own at the high school.  All summer long I sell pancake tickets, shirts, and such.  I usually end up paying at least $100 on top of selling all of that stuff just so my student athlete can participate.  I have 5 children and a wife.  If all my kids and wife go to a game it will cost on average $40+.  I am not cheap by no means, but I do pay taxes in my county.  Once again if I go to MY school, I don't care to give a donation from time to time, but that is on my terms.  Back in the day when I played, I did not sell one item to play a sport.  I did however, pay a fee to go to team camps, which my parents gladly paid.  I had plenty of necessary equipment and ate after most away games through the budget of the athletic department.  If I go to all my kids games all year I am looking at over $800 a year, that is just in ticket cost.  As I stated for me, it is not a huge deal, I just don't know when the money gauging is going to stop.  Heck, I usually end up paying close to $100 dollars a year in class fees just for the school year.  This may be a school problem more than sport.  

Can't speak for recently but the last time I was at Oakland you had to pay to park in the lots close to the field. With the exception of handicap parking it was free. But the remaining parking lots were free. I believe it went to the band or ROTC. Riverdale does the same thing but it's a donation rather than mandatory. I don't mind this at all. Either way as long as it's not more than $5. Schools are strapped and those extra caricular activities are sometimes funded mainly through donations.

Oakland offers a $25 season parking pass which allows you to park right beside the stadium. The money goes to the football program. The remaining school lots are free, but might require a 5-10 minute walk. Handicap parking by the stadium is also free. 

Most of them do not.  And those bands that attend have to pay for traveling to the competitions that other bands may have.   I get it - some of you live in areas where activities are better funded with local tax dollars.  In many rural counties that is not the case. 

Correct. This is why band programs choose to host competitions. It's a big fundraiser; they get the profits from parking, tickets, concessions, etc. The bands who compete don't get a share of that.

I don't have trouble paying to park if the money goes to the boys. The problem I have is I just don't like the TSSAA. But I think churches need to stay out of football and keep to their own business of churching. 

Separation of CHURCH and FOOTBALL, I say!!!

At Rhea County, if you buy season tix I think you park free.  That's a good incentive for the locals.  Not for the visitors obviously.  Can't remember where we went last year and they charged $5.  Think Rhea charges $3 and it goes to the band.

Separation of CHURCH and FOOTBALL, I say!!!

At Rhea County, if you buy season tix I think you park free.  That's a good incentive for the locals.  Not for the visitors obviously.  Can't remember where we went last year and they charged $5.  Think Rhea charges $3 and it goes to the band.

Red Bank charged $5 two years ago.