Paying to Park question

logcabinman

I had just gotten off  the phone with a representative with the TSSAA.  My question was paying to park at a high school event.  He assured to me that it was a school choice, not something that was mandated or approved by the TSSAA.  Wrong or right, I think it is a shame to start this standard.  I know the two games that I have been to have just charged $3.00, but what will the future hold.  I feel a high school game is for parents and community to come BUY a TICKET and watch your home town boys and girls represent.  He explained to me that people pay to park at a UT game and it is a public school.  My reply was that, being a parent I could potentially go to over 35 games a year including football and basketball.  I may only go to one or two UT games a year, if any.  What are some of your thoughts?

The reality is that football is a very costly sport and the money has to come from a combination of revenue generated on game night and fund raising.  Everywhere I have seen where they "charge" to park there is a non-payment option for parking, although you may have to walk a little further to the gate.  

Look at it this way - at $3 per car, if you have 4 people in the car that's 75 cents per person.  Would you not donate 75 cents if they passed around a fund raising bucket to help fund the program?  

The reality is that football is a very costly sport and the money has to come from a combination of revenue generated on game night and fund raising.  Everywhere I have seen where they "charge" to park there is a non-payment option for parking, although you may have to walk a little further to the gate.  

Look at it this way - at $3 per car, if you have 4 people in the car that's 75 cents per person.  Would you not donate 75 cents if they passed around a fund raising bucket to help fund the program?  

If I have it.

Can't speak for recently but the last time I was at Oakland you had to pay to park in the lots close to the field. With the exception of handicap parking it was free. But the remaining parking lots were free. I believe it went to the band or ROTC. Riverdale does the same thing but it's a donation rather than mandatory. I don't mind this at all. Either way as long as it's not more than $5. Schools are strapped and those extra caricular activities are sometimes funded mainly through donations.

Edited by milo118

I personally don't see the problem with paying to park.  Rhea County charges $3 and I believe it all goes to support the band. It has been like that for well, as long as the school has been around. I see the ticket price as supporting the football team and the parking dollars as supporting the band, that also performs during the game.