Sullivan South - Sullivan Co. Football

formerblazer

I agree. Norris as head coach would be a good starting point. Let him pick his staff from all the other coaches in the county that are interested in building a top notch football program. I'm not a North fan per say but I think Coach Norris does a fine job. I grew up in Colonial Hgts. Played at Central (before there was a South). Always pulled for South over the years. I've seen some really good teams over the years and a lot of good athletes. I always thought that the coaching staffs over the years were average at best. Good guys all. Great coaches No.  Pretty good talent over the years.  Talent means everything. Good coaches probably get you an extra win or two during the season (even when your talent is down) or possibly a round or two deeper in the playoffs when you have a talented team. Hard to find those type coaches already in the school system. Coach Norris is probably the closest the county has to being that type coach.

I completely agree, DandDD.  You stated this better than I probably did.  I tend to be, well blunt.  But hey, I thought you were a Volunteer Falcon fan. 

Sshsfan, no I wasn't at the GreeEville game.  I saw that one coming and went to watch Boone Friday. 

So, if you are correct, and I suspect you are, the South coaches are a bunch of children. To hold a kid in bad graces, over something that happened lady year, is so darn shallow and childish. If they allowed the kid back on the team, he should be given equal opportunity to compete. I hope 'holding grudges' isn't a life lesson they are teaching their boys. That's just weak. These guys would cut off their nose to spite their face. Well at least all the favorite sons are playing, huh?

Wow, I have to say, I expected to get slammed for my last post. I expected someone to 'put me in my place' and tell me how off base I am. Maybe even compare me to WacoJacko, whoever. I guess old Puddin' struck oil.

I asked a buddy who has a kid that plays, SR who doesn't get on the field much, why on earth their AD doesn't step in to end the petty favoritism and generally apathetic manner of the head coach in dealing with these problems.  Please, I know this isn't all the coaches.  I am told there's a couple goodin's, but they are not given much of a voice.  I asked him why on earth would they not ask previous OC Jordan to come back and call the plays at least, and demote the OC to freshman team extra point holder coach or something.  His response, "Thick as thieves, they are over there."  There you have it. 

I truly hate to see this for the Rebs.  You were great to watch in the past.

Haven't seen too much favoritism the past few years but that's all fairly subjective based on ones own kids pt. I wasn't aware of any Sr that didn't get playing time seeing as how we are low in seniors anyway. Jordan is done to spend more time with family and I agree with your assessment of the current oc.

Sshsfan, no I wasn't at the GreeEville game.  I saw that one coming and went to watch Boone Friday. 

So, if you are correct, and I suspect you are, the South coaches are a bunch of children. To hold a kid in bad graces, over something that happened lady year, is so darn shallow and childish. If they allowed the kid back on the team, he should be given equal opportunity to compete. I hope 'holding grudges' isn't a life lesson they are teaching their boys. That's just weak. These guys would cut off their nose to spite their face. Well at least all the favorite sons are playing, huh?

Wow, I have to say, I expected to get slammed for my last post. I expected someone to 'put me in my place' and tell me how off base I am. Maybe even compare me to WacoJacko, whoever. I guess old Puddin' struck oil.

I asked a buddy who has a kid that plays, SR who doesn't get on the field much, why on earth their AD doesn't step in to end the petty favoritism and generally apathetic manner of the head coach in dealing with these problems.  Please, I know this isn't all the coaches.  I am told there's a couple goodin's, but they are not given much of a voice.  I asked him why on earth would they not ask previous OC Jordan to come back and call the plays at least, and demote the OC to freshman team extra point holder coach or something.  His response, "Thick as thieves, they are over there."  There you have it. 

I truly hate to see this for the Rebs.  You were great to watch in the past. 

I can understand some of the things you are saying.  I can also see how sitting up in the stands how some of that would be true.  I really find it hard to believe that any high school coach would "rather play their favorite kids vs. win football games."  That's how I read your post.  I think South has been able to get away with things in the past and everyone has been cool with it, but I also find it odd to think that coaches are playing to lose.

I could see younger kids playing this year as an investment into next year.  You could have leadership problems with the kids.  You could have some really poor attitudes that blame the coaches.  It could go both ways.

I was at the game tonight and yeah..shocked at the South crowd.  East always has that few of fans (and they are 7-1), but to see it from the South faithful... really shocking.  South will have some weapons and experience next year for sure.  East played some sloppy ball all the way through overall.

You have to be careful when you criticize coaches for who's playing and who's not.

90% of the time, if you think it's obvious that someone else should be out there, there's something going on behind the scenes you don't see.

Maybe that kid really is the best they've got, maybe the backup has some discipline issues that are keeping him off the field, or maybe that talented athlete just doesn't know how to actually play his position.

Now, sometimes coaches will fall in love with certain players and overrate them for whatever reason, or sometimes a player will have a certain powerful family member that forces the coaches' hands, but unless you're in that locker room, you'll never know.

Always give coaches the benefit of the doubt on that one.  It's their call to make and they have their reasons for making those calls.  All that questioning those decisions from the outside does is undermine the coaches to their team and breed an atmosphere of resentment and entitlement from the players.

Edited by BlueDevil58

I completely agree, DandDD.  You stated this better than I probably did.  I tend to be, well blunt.  But hey, I thought you were a Volunteer Falcon fan. 

Transplanted Volunteer fan.  My son played baseball and football there. Made a lot of friends down there over the 17 yrs I lived in the area. Grew up in Colonial Hgts. Live there now. So I have to keep up with the Rebels. Mixed feelings when they play each other. Probably pull for the Falcons just because I'd like to see them in the playoffs. It would be good for their program.

Wow...interesting discussion on the state of Sullivan County football. A couple of things...folks at a Greeneville game told me earlier this year that they have kids that come from over an hour away to play football. I'm guessing the TSSAA tuition change next year may start to curb their talent feed in the future, as it may with some other open tuition systems.

As for the future Sullivan County school, if it's ever built, I hope they don't necessarily think they have to hire from within...that's been a problem for a long time. It seems to have hurt for quite a while. This coach they just hired at Central broke that mold, since he came from Middle Tennessee. Coach Norris has done a fine job at North, but is he ready for 6A? Coach Haynie had a great group come through with Wieger and company a couple years back, but they aren't at that level now. Between the 3 schools, I think you could put together a pretty decent staff with the right head coach...maybe one of the 3. Whoever it is will need to have some freedom to add specific coaches as needed...just not sure Sullivan County will allow him that freedom.

Wow,I'd say.People drive their kids from an hour away to play at my old school.That's awesome,they must live over in Asheville or down around Knoxville.We need to get some of those Blount county boys recruited ,it would only be a few more minutes drive.

You never know Batman there are some hollars in Greene Co that on a tractor it will take you an hr to get to the city lol

You never know Batman there are some hollars in Greene Co that on a tractor it will take you an hr to get to the city lol

Maybe they are driving a team of horses for over an hour and it's just 4 or 5 miles from school.My dad used to walk in from Mt Hebron road, catching rides when he could.He held the Greeneville high jump record and was a basketball and track star ,part of the 4 x 100 record team way back in the day as well.I myself walked from right at the end of North main st ,lived on the hill where Duckworth's  is or was.That was just pride because a bus ran right up main street before I got a job and started driving my junior year

You have to be careful when you criticize coaches for who's playing and who's not.

90% of the time, if you think it's obvious that someone else should be out there, there's something going on behind the scenes you don't see.

Maybe that kid really is the best they've got, maybe the backup has some discipline issues that are keeping him off the field, or maybe that talented athlete just doesn't know how to actually play his position.

Now, sometimes coaches will fall in love with certain players and overrate them for whatever reason, or sometimes a player will have a certain powerful family member that forces the coaches' hands, but unless you're in that locker room, you'll never know.

Always give coaches the benefit of the doubt on that one. It's their call to make and they have their reasons for making those calls. All that questioning those decisions from the outside does is undermine the coaches to their team and breed an atmosphere of resentment and entitlement from the players.

You are obviously ignorant of SSHS football. That's not a bad thing. Sometimes I wish I was too.