Antioch at Lebanon

steelcityroller

I have posted on it before there are quite a few factors that make it hard at Lebanon. Just a couple

- People don't "live" in Lebanon like they do in many surrounding areas. There are often families coming and going from the area. Over 40% of the residences in Lebanon city limits are rentals. That is in comparison to around 20% for areas in the county and surrounding areas. So you get alot of kids coming and going.

- Friendship Christian poaches alot of the top players before they even get to Lebanon.

- The kids that are zoned for Lebanon are more likely to come from lower income and single-parent households. Which means those parents are less likely to have the time or desire to push their children into athletics.

- The structure of the feeder schools has it where Lebanon high is getting Jr. High students from multiple schools. So when these kids are Freshman they are coming from all these different schools having never played together and having played in different schemes. Whereas for example Mt. Juliet almost all of them come from Mt. Juliet Middle so they played together and in the same systems.

Nice post but you are missing the problem...which is Harp is a 62 year old guy who just doesn't connect to young kids. He was a great coach in KY but I dare say there may be only a handful of schools that even care about football...Danville was one of them. Tennessee is a better football state and has better coaches and football athletes. Harp has also dug a hole trying to play the political game which has destroyed coaches with lesser credentials than he has. Time for Lebanon to part company and get a young coach that is more concerned with winning and less with padding his retirement account.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post but you are missing the problem...which is Harp is a 62 year old guy who just doesn't connect to young kids. He was a great coach in KY but I dare say there may be only a handful of schools that even care about football...Danville was one of them. Tennessee is a better football state and has better coaches and football athletes. Harp has also dug a hole trying to play the political game which has destroyed coaches with lesser credentials than he has. Time for Lebanon to part company and get a young coach that is more concerned with winning and less with padding his retirement account.

How old were Bobby Brown and Troy Crane when they got let go?

Other than Medley's years at Lebanon there hasn't been much success there and they only had 1 state quarter final during that time. Still it was a successful period. Their magic formula consisted of making average players good and good players excellent because there was a dedicated, knowledgeable staff who had a passion for the game...and it rubbed off on the players and community.

I may be in the minority here, but I think the right coach can win here. I, too, believe the pieces are in place and a coach that can relate to the kids and build excitement can win. From what I've been told, there are a lot of athletes in the community and in the halls. Sure several have left and gone to other places where they can win, but that culture can be changed.

Other than Medley's years at Lebanon there hasn't been much success there and they only had 1 state quarter final during that time. Still it was a successful period. Their magic formula consisted of making average players good and good players excellent because there was a dedicated, knowledgeable staff who had a passion for the game...and it rubbed off on the players and community.

How good were Wilson Central and Friendship Christian back during that era?

How many middle schools feed into Lebanon High School? I know of Carroll Oakland, Tuckers Crossroads, Winfree Bryant and Walter J. Baird. Is that all of them?

But lets just say its those 4.

Tuckers Crossroads doesn't even have a football program

Carroll Oakland struggles to field a team and hardly ever wins a game and gets beat by 30-40 points on a weekly basis. 

Winfree Bryant has a good program.

Walter J. Baird has a good program.

Tuckers and Carroll Oakland are both K-8 schools. So they have a smaller 6th-8th grade group than the other schools which are strictly are middle schools. But all the same combined they probably account for 1/3 of the kids that end up at Lebanon High School. And they don't have a legit football program in middle school.

Coaching is important,but if your players could not start at the school you are playing then winning is going to be tough. 

runtheball

Those in the know (once a blue debil always a debil group) will tell you that the hallowed halls of Lebanon are overflowing with talent...... a motherlode of strength and speed.

Funny story - In the last change; one of the leaders of "we need a new coach now" was doing this so his talented grandson could be nurtured to the true greatness that was surely lurking in the young man...........The granddad's DNA was a blueprint for football legacy, (*note - The grandad had never had played the game......but he had stayed in a Holiday Inn.)

Back to the story - The young man lasted less than 10 days!

Maybe you and the moonwink could team up, and right the Blue Debil ship