Class 5A may have a member from the privates...

fredjones

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Knoxville catholic staying in Division I per the Knoxville News Sentinel. With the multiplier and the rule about now many class you can move because of the multiplier being done away with, Catholic's number puts them in 5A.

Under the old rules you could only be moved up one class with the multiplier. Catholic only has about 600 kids. 3A by size with a move to 4A with multiplier.

Gonna be interesting to see which region Catholic ends up in. Not sure how they'll split the Knox area this time around. If I had to take a stab at it, this is how my first 4 regions look. If Seymour makes it in 5A, I would slide Powell (or West) from Region 2 to Region 3. Ooltewah, Cleveland, and McMinn being projected in 6A really screws Region 4, so I've got Lenoir City moving from Region 3 to Region 4.

• Region 1-5A (7 teams): Morristown East, Daniel Boone, David Crockett, Tennessee High, Cocke County, Cherokee, Volunteer
  • Region 2-5A (6 or 7 teams): Sevier County, Knox West, Powell, Halls, Knox Central, South Doyle, Seymour* (could end up in 4A, based on enrollment cutoff)
  • Region 3-5A (5 teams): Oak Ridge, Campbell County, Clinton, Knox Catholic, Karns
  • Region 4-5A (5 teams): Rhea County, Walker Valley, Soddy-Daisy, White County, Lenoir City

Under the old rules you could only be moved up one class with the multiplier. Catholic only has about 600 kids. 3A by size with a move to 4A with multiplier.

Like you said that was the OLD rule. When they passed the no financial aide in D1 they lifted the only moving up one class if a private elected to stay D1. Catholic has 620 students and with the 1.8 multiplier that puts them at 1,124 which is 5a enrollment.

Like you said that was the OLD rule. When they passed the no financial aide in D1 they lifted the only moving up one class if a private elected to stay D1. Catholic has 620 students and with the 1.8 multiplier that puts them at 1,124 which is 5a enrollment.

It will be interesting to see how they will stack up in 5A OR and Catholic will play each other for the district every year.

It will be interesting to see what, if any, public schools agree to play them non-region.  From what I am hearing they will have to leave Knox County to find games.  Same with another local private school that hasn't declaried yet if they opt to stay D1.  

Edited by HTV

Did you ever think they were going D2 ?? I said from the get go they wouldnt move ... they in no way wanted to compete with MBA, McCallie, Baylor, Brentwood (if they move up) or Ensworth etc ... I wonder the Principal said only 4 football players had work study help and parents getting break for doing odd jobs ..I know thay wont say who they are but wonder if SOMEHOW that tuition gets paid somehow ..LOL ... and the 4 kids remain there ... interesting ................ 

It will be interesting to see how they will stack up in 5A OR and Catholic will play each other for the district every year.

What is the lowest 5A enrollment -- has TSSAA mapped out the cutoffs yet ... Knox Cath can compete in 5A also .. I dont think they will be as good next year and after loosing guys like Rogers and Kuerchen 

What is the lowest 5A enrollment -- has TSSAA mapped out the cutoffs yet ... Knox Cath can compete in 5A also .. I dont think they will be as good next year and after loosing guys like Rogers and Kuerchen 

Nothing has been mapped out yet.  It has been waiting for the privates to declare before they know how many publics/non-financial aid privates there will be to divide in to 6 classes.  And there is no "set number".  They will start with the biggest school and go backwards until they get to 1/6th of the schools.  They start over again. And again.  And again.  And again.  And again.  

Edited by HTV